Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will adaptive cruise control brake to zero?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will adaptive cruise control brake to zero?

Has anyone been going 70 mph and hit heavy traffic that goes to zero, will the truck automatically brake to zero with the adaptive cruise control on or does the truck just let off the accelerator and you have to brake?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe the # is 12mph... below that and it turns off and you have to apply the brakes.
The collision detection will help apply the brakes if needed by applying full power by barely touching the brakes at that point.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 2dog
Has anyone been going 70 mph and hit heavy traffic that goes to zero, will the truck automatically brake to zero with the adaptive cruise control on or does the truck just let off the accelerator and you have to brake?

It turns off below 12.4 mph and the manual even warns that as it slows, it may not slow enough to avoid a crash...
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

These systems aren't designed to stop a crash they're just supposed to minimize the force.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok that is helpful if the truck brakes you all the way down to 12.4 mph that covers most traffic situations.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I pushed my luck in traffic to see how it would respond. Until that point I had never noticed the row of red LED lights that sit on the dash in front of the driver. When I got close, the truck slowed way down, the light bar started flashing, and there was an audible alert. It'd be hard to anything but hit the brakes in that situation. Either way, I didn't have any trouble coming to a complete stop and even had a car length or so between me and the car in front of me. In retrospect this was a pretty ballsy move with my brand new truck, but it's good to know that the safety features are effective.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LRomeroIV
These systems aren't designed to stop a crash they're just supposed to minimize the force.
Unfortunately not... there are systems on other vehicles that are, just like there is stop and go adaptive cruise control systems.... although more expensive, would be worth while for someone who drives through rush hour frequently...
Old 02-10-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by centex99
Unfortunately not... there are systems on other vehicles that are, just like there is stop and go adaptive cruise control systems.... although more expensive, would be worth while for someone who drives through rush hour frequently...
The systems on the 4 mercs we've owned only had the millisecond type recognizer although if you're in a slower situation I do remember it stoping us from rear ending another vehicle.

Quick Reply: Will adaptive cruise control brake to zero?