Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you use 4A?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Saved by Grace

Received 262 Likes on 68 Posts
Question When do you use 4A?

The other day it was raining very hard and we'd already had ~5" fall in the last day or so in SW Virginia, so I decided to run the truck in 4A on the highway just in case I hit any puddles and began to hydroplane. I thought I felt a little bit of drive train lag due to it being in 4A and not 2H but other than that, didn't notice it was engaged.

When does everyone else use 4A and is there any harm in using it under any given set of circumstances?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Neffster
The other day it was raining very hard and we'd already had ~5" fall in the last day or so in SW Virginia, so I decided to run the truck in 4A on the highway just in case I hit any puddles and began to hydroplane. I thought I felt a little bit of drive train lag due to it being in 4A and not 2H but other than that, didn't notice it was engaged.

When does everyone else use 4A and is there any harm in using it under any given set of circumstances?
If you are asking about 4 wheel drive or 4H. Even in the rain on a road with water over it I Do Not run 4H. If there is that much water then slow down stay in 2H and hope you have good enough tires to get clear the water.

If it is something else like 4 wheel auto then same applies.

I use 4 wheel auto on snowy roads or 4H along with slowing down just because it is not safe to go fast.

Remember these trucks may be 4WD and go a lot of places but on the road with no weight they are just big ice skates. I have been around and round a few time because every once in awhile I forget this.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I've driven my truck in snow and winter since Jan this year. Tried lots of different variations with the 4A vs 2H. My thought originally was that the 4A would have some sort of drag so watched it a lot on the fuel economy gauge at highway speed. I would switch it at full speed back and forth with absolutely zero impact on fuel consumption or discernible lag. These are only my impressions but I concluded for myself that 4A was the way to run if you even think there could be a reason to have it on. In the summer I run in 2H but most of the winter she will be in 4A.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlarv
If you are asking about 4 wheel drive or 4H. Even in the rain on a road with water over it I Do Not run 4H. If there is that much water then slow down stay in 2H and hope you have good enough tires to get clear the water.

If it is something else like 4 wheel auto then same applies.

I use 4 wheel auto on snowy roads or 4H along with slowing down just because it is not safe to go fast.

Remember these trucks may be 4WD and go a lot of places but on the road with no weight they are just big ice skates. I have been around and round a few time because every once in awhile I forget this.
Fundamentally disagree with your comment re: 4A. 4A is intended EXACTLY for the purpose the OP was asking about.

From the manual:

4A (4X4 AUTO)
Provides electronic control four-wheel
drive with power delivered to the front and
rear wheels, as required, for increased
traction. This is appropriate for all on-road
driving conditions, including dry road
surfaces
, but is especially useful on wet
pavement, snow, dirt, or gravel
The following 4 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
130428 (10-01-2015), dos0711 (10-01-2015), kendive (10-01-2015), MisterVolleyball (10-02-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 140 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggitydog
I've driven my truck in snow and winter since Jan this year. Tried lots of different variations with the 4A vs 2H. My thought originally was that the 4A would have some sort of drag so watched it a lot on the fuel economy gauge at highway speed. I would switch it at full speed back and forth with absolutely zero impact on fuel consumption or discernible lag. These are only my impressions but I concluded for myself that 4A was the way to run if you even think there could be a reason to have it on. In the summer I run in 2H but most of the winter she will be in 4A.
Sounds about right. I drive in 2H 95+% of the time. 4A if it's wet (snowy, icy), or on dirt.

4H only if I'm IN snow or mud, or if I'm pulling my boat up a slippery ramp.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Fundamentally disagree with your comment re: 4A. 4A is intended EXACTLY for the purpose the OP was asking about.

From the manual:

4A (4X4 AUTO)
Provides electronic control four-wheel
drive with power delivered to the front and
rear wheels, as required, for increased
traction. This is appropriate for all on-road
driving conditions, including dry road
surfaces
, but is especially useful on wet
pavement, snow, dirt, or gravel
Hum sure quote the manual.

The only experience with an Auto 4 WD was a Dodge/Jeep and I will say it Sucked. It almost put me over a cliff coming over Stevens Pass in WA because it would kick in and out as the road went from slippery to dry and back. I put it in 4WD and it still did the same thing. Put me in a skid I turned what I figured into it and the POS was out of 4WD and it got me up on the Jersey Barrier looking over a 1500 foot drop off.

I understand what the book tells ya and sort of disagree with it. In deep water or a water covered road way 4WD is not going to help as much as just slowing down and letting the tires work.

If the OP was running down the road and hit a deep puddle it is going to pull the truck one way or another if you are 4A are you turning into the skid or out of the skid to get out of it? Turn the wrong way and you are in worse spot turn the correct way you may come out of it.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You should be able to leave it in 4A 100% if you want to.... Think about it AWD fusions/milans have it on all the time.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Roads bone dry: 2H
Wet weather, wet roads, wet conditions: 4A
Off-pavement, off-road, etc: 4H

You can drive 100% of the time in 4A without a loss in fuel economy or added wear on components. And, if you are in Sport mode and get on the throttle, 4A ensures better traction with torque distributed front/rear and you make the most of that power.
The following users liked this post:
dos0711 (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlarv
Hum sure quote the manual.

The only experience with an Auto 4 WD was a Dodge/Jeep and I will say it Sucked. It almost put me over a cliff coming over Stevens Pass in WA because it would kick in and out as the road went from slippery to dry and back. I put it in 4WD and it still did the same thing. Put me in a skid I turned what I figured into it and the POS was out of 4WD and it got me up on the Jersey Barrier looking over a 1500 foot drop off.

I understand what the book tells ya and sort of disagree with it. In deep water or a water covered road way 4WD is not going to help as much as just slowing down and letting the tires work.

If the OP was running down the road and hit a deep puddle it is going to pull the truck one way or another if you are 4A are you turning into the skid or out of the skid to get out of it? Turn the wrong way and you are in worse spot turn the correct way you may come out of it.
based on what you're describing, YOU should have been the one slowing down...

4A works exactly as the manual says it does. but just like 4H (and as you rightly pointed out), it doesn't make you invincible and physics always win at the end.

I mostly put it in 4A if the roads are dry / snowy / dry again and the wife is driving, as she doesn't want to bother switching back and forth between 2H and 4H. I prefer knowing that i'm in 4H for sure when I need it.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ecopat
based on what you're describing, YOU should have been the one slowing down...
I was going slow the Durango was an Auto I put it in first and 4WD I figured that would keep me from hitting the brakes. As we went from icy to dry the dam Dodge was out think me and shifting me in and out of 4WD. I don't think I was going over maybe 15MPH max. We hit an icy spot the dam thing shifted again and put us in a skid. I turned into it we hit dry and slick again and it shifted again put us into the barrier. Dodge in 1999 or 2000 decided it was better for the car to control things instead of the person behind the wheel.

On snowy icy roads I use 4wd all the time no problem. With high water I go slow and let the tires work.