Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water spots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water spots?

Hi all,
I just picked up my 2015 F150 yesterday and decided to wash it today because I noticed "water spots" after the dealer "detailed" it for me(very poorly I might add). I have the Bronze Fire color which is beautiful! But after washing and drying it immediately it I noticed "water spots" on the hood and roof (and on the glass twin panel sunroof) did not come out. I tried glass cleaner on the glass as well with no luck. The dealer is telling me to bring it back and they'll look into it but I wanted ask here first so I can go there with some information. Also, I was going to have a spray on bed-liner installed tomorrow what was wondering if I should hold off on that until the dealer looks at the spots on the glass and paint. What do you think?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 189 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jim137
Hi all,
I just picked up my 2015 F150 yesterday and decided to wash it today because I noticed "water spots" after the dealer "detailed" it for me(very poorly I might add). I have the Bronze Fire color which is beautiful! But after washing and drying it immediately it I noticed "water spots" on the hood and roof (and on the glass twin panel sunroof) did not come out. I tried glass cleaner on the glass as well with no luck. The dealer is telling me to bring it back and they'll look into it but I wanted ask here first so I can go there with some information. Also, I was going to have a spray on bed-liner installed tomorrow what was wondering if I should hold off on that until the dealer looks at the spots on the glass and paint. What do you think?
No idea on the water spots but I know the suction ring on my windshield was a pain to get off. As far as the bed spray I'd look at Line-X personally.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

clay bar
The following users liked this post:
Supercrewbear (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll second the clay bar comment. I'm new to F150, but most vehicles I buy, I clay bar them the minute I get them home. There's a lot of rail dust and other topical contaminants in the paint in most cases. It helps with the shine, provides a good base for the first wax and will almost certainly remove any water spots you have. Any clay bar will work, just make sure to use some type of lubricant and watch a you tube video or two to get the hang of it if you haven't used one before.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Some people are cursed with terribly hard water which leaves the water spots.

Sometimes a clay bar will remove them sometimes it won't. I am one of the unlucky ones with this problem and a clay bar won't remove them. The only thing I have found that works for me is Turtle Wax liquid clay bar, you can apply more pressure with this than the clay bar or a good swirl removal wax. Turtle, Meguiare's seems to work well.

Once clean put a good wax coating or polymer coating for protection, this will help a lot.

When washing, always from the top down and dry as you go trying not to spray areas already clean and dried. I use a nozzle that doesn't spray and just pours water out like an open hose.

Check after you are done and clean up any spots that may have gotten by with detail cleaner. Avoid parking in any areas with spray irrigation, the wind will always spray the water on your truck no matter how careful you are.

Last edited by Alcoloco; 08-13-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray on white vinegar and wipe off. Water spots gone.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

On glass, I use one of those polishing discs that comes with the headlight restoration kit with rubbing compound on a drill. Gets rid of ALL the spots, to mirror smooth glass. Then Rain X it and you don't have to worry about it for a little while at least.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:59 AM

Received 115 Likes on 68 Posts

Our water here in So. Cal is so bad that I wash my truck with deionized filtered water. I use a spotless brand system. You can blow the excess water off with a leaf blower and wipe it dry with a Meguiar's Water Magnet towel. Never seen a water spot.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bayharbor
Spray on white vinegar and wipe off. Water spots gone.

If it were only that simple for some of us.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried washing then detailer, vinegar, and lemons. No difference. I believe I have "stage 3" water spots. They are etched into the surface. I just couldn't dry the truck quick enough. Luckily it's the worst on the roof... Unfortunately, I have the twin panel roof. If I understand correctly my only option for correcting the paint is body shop style repairs. I don't know about the glass tho.

Quick Reply: water spots?