Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercarriage diaper, recent production 2016 3.5. New design?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Undercarriage diaper, recent production 2016 3.5. New design?

Most of us have heard about the one piece diaper, held on by four plastic twist fasteners

Driving to work this morning i saw a 2015/2016 driving towards me and his undercarriage diaper was dragging on the ground. My truck is 4 or 5 weeks old, I decided to look at mine..

All day long, i was considering taking mine off, so it wouldn't be a problem at some point in the future. Usually at the worst time.

I just looked underneath. Im seeing two, held on by bolts, not plastic twist fasteners. Im undecided at this point, whether to take them off or leave them on.

I looked at my owners manual and it says the 3.5, 2.7 eco and the 3.5 eco have them and to remove them if you are driving off road. 5.0 doesn't?

I believe the opinions that it strictly is there to reduce sound, but it looks fairly secure unless its not reinstalled after an oil change or whatever.

Is this a newer design? If i were to remove them, would I remove both?
Attached Thumbnails Undercarriage diaper, recent production 2016 3.5.  New design?-photo88.jpg  
Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

I took them all off mine. I figured I would tear them off while plowing snow and easier to deal with in a warm garage then lying in the snow with it hanging off.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T_R
I took them all off mine. I figured I would tear them off while plowing snow and easier to deal with in a warm garage then lying in the snow with it hanging off.
I removed the back one to get to the oil plug easier. The front one where the filter drains I left on as the oil drains and does not get in the way. I wasn't going to be removing all the bolts ever time I had to change the oil.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is a one piece design. Am I missing something? Truck manufactured March 2016...are you guys saying the diapers are now two pieces?

I've had mine off for oil change and thorough inspection. Left it off a few days. Decided to put it back on and keep it out of garage just laying around. I notice no sound difference either way. I'll keep mine on I guess. It does keep things a bit cleaner under there I noticed.

Last edited by HorsemanAR; 06-10-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Undercarriage diaper, recent production 2016 3.5. New design?