Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tune or not to tune.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Default To tune or not to tune.......

So I've got this SCT X4 tuner from my previous F150 (yes it's unmarried from old truck) ready for use or sale. I'd really like to use it on my new truck for all the additional power and MPG's that could be gained from it. However I'm concerned about warranty issues that might arise from it's use?
Talking with the guys at 5* tuning where I bought it they said "no way" my warranty would be fine. However, I spoke with the service manager at a local Super Ford dealer and they said, it would not VOID the warranty but could void coverage for issues that arise from the tuner. For instance if I melted down a turbo then that would not be covered for that instance. I really don't know if it's worth the risk or what the chances are that Ford could figure out it was a "tuner/mod" related incident. The service manager said they send out reps to inspect questionable things and they are somehow able to determine root cause of failure, not sure how true that is but....
Thoughts/Opinions????
Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds generally right. If the tune caused the failure then you're not covered, otherwise you should be okay.

I'm using the SCT X4 right now but I haven't had a chance to play with it much. The way the shop has it set up is fine for me now.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also in the same situation. Has anyone had a failure on a tuner and was for tough to deal with? I'm ready to order one right now but waiting to talk to my friends uncle. He owns the ford dealership that will be doin repair work
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 1,603 Likes on 904 Posts

The issue would have to be directly attributable to the tune in order for it to legitimately affect your warranty coverage. That's a gray area, of course, as the cause of an issue is sometimes very subjective.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Who has deeper pockets to fight...right or wrong? If you tune...then you have to accept the possibility of a decline on warranty.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
Who has deeper pockets to fight...right or wrong? If you tune...then you have to accept the possibility of a decline on warranty.
This basically holds true for any modification though... If you mod...then you have to accept the possibility of a decline on warranty.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by roadPilot
The issue would have to be directly attributable to the tune in order for it to legitimately affect your warranty coverage. That's a gray area, of course, as the cause of an issue is sometimes very subjective.
and who always wins, FORD!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I was reading a post the other day about Eco Boost guys putting a grill in the open space in the front. The Ford person chimed in and basically said: Making alterations to intentional engineer designs, would result in a voided warranty. I nearly fell out of my chair!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

How important/good are the improvement and do you really need them. My answer was no, it is up to you. I have tuned most of my trucks but with all the tech, and computer logging, I believe it is getting too hard to outthink what Ford has set up.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 248 Likes on 127 Posts

Are the tunes offered direct ECU changes or addon modules? Curious. I've had both types and with addon modules are harder to tell.

With my A4 back in the day I tuned it and blew a valve around 55k. I think it was a combination of carbon build-up and excessive heat. That thing would spool like crazy but it was fun.

Quick Reply: To tune or not to tune.......