Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck bed question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Truck bed question

New member here. I picked my 2015 F 150 XLT in July. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that If you stand in the bed you can see the road through a seam between the bed and fender well. The other side has calking but seems to be missing on the driver side.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I have a list of items I need to have done, guess Ill add this one also.
In 2001 I bought a new Ram and never had to take it back to the Dealer. After 341K figured it was time to retire it. I liked the looks of the new Fords, but am wondering if I made the right choice.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I have the odd small gap. Between the bed floors and side walls. I have nothing that looks like caulking anywhere though. I was surprised a bit, even the factory spray in liner does not cover the gaps.

I have been pretty picky with this truck, except with this.

Originally Posted by FredB
New member here. I picked my 2015 F 150 XLT in July. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that If you stand in the bed you can see the road through a seam between the bed and fender well. The other side has calking but seems to be missing on the driver side.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I have a list of items I need to have done, guess Ill add this one also.
In 2001 I bought a new Ram and never had to take it back to the Dealer. After 341K figured it was time to retire it. I liked the looks of the new Fords, but am wondering if I made the right choice.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

You are not the only one, many threads already about that. If that's the biggest issue with your truck, consider yourself lucky.

I really fail to see what the problem is with people complaining about that. If anything, it lets the water out of your bed... a watertight bed would be full after the first rainfall... I have a Line-X in my 13, and yes I can see the road at the seams, so?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Well I hope you feel better for having posted this. Perhaps he just wanted to know if this is something that requires immediate attention or not. This is something rather new to many. Not that they are expecting a water tight tub, maybe they do not expect gaps that would let sand and gravel through. I also doubt the irregular gaps, inconsistent from one truck to the next, are designed for drainage. But hey, none of those things will make you seem like the smartest guy on the internet today.

Originally Posted by ecopat
You are not the only one, many threads already about that. If that's the biggest issue with your truck, consider yourself lucky.

I really fail to see what the problem is with people complaining about that. If anything, it lets the water out of your bed... a watertight bed would be full after the first rainfall... I have a Line-X in my 13, and yes I can see the road at the seams, so?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Danager
Well I hope you feel better for having posted this. Perhaps he just wanted to know if this is something that requires immediate attention or not. This is something rather new to many. Not that they are expecting a water tight tub, maybe they do not expect gaps that would let sand and gravel through. I also doubt the irregular gaps, inconsistent from one truck to the next, are designed for drainage. But hey, none of those things will make you seem like the smartest guy on the internet today.
you are right, I'm not in the mood today and posting that didnt help. But, I did answer his / your question.

Has anyone else had this problem? yes, it's been discussed several (many?) times here
Is it an issue? I dont think so. Unless you tell me you have a 1/4" or bigger gap in your bed... but I'm not the most picki'est guy either...

Last edited by 130428; 10-08-2015 at 05:58 PM. Reason: GF walked in on me :)
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ecopat

Yes, that was my intent, to see if anyone else is seeing the same. I wish this was the only issue, I have a list of other items that will need to be worked. Some of us put covers on the beds to try and keep out moisture and debris on items carried, with open seams, that idea kinda loses the whole point of covering the bed.
Thanks for the replies, Awesome place here. I have learned a bunch.
Fred

Last edited by FredB; 10-09-2015 at 06:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FredB:
130428 (10-09-2015), Ford2WD (07-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also just noticed gaps (1/8 ~1/4") in the bed side wall interface just before the fender well. and yes, sand can run out to the street from the bed, on both sides, same area.
I do live in CT but I doubt FORD designed some sort of "auto sanding" option for those icy mornings. I purchased my F-150 in September 2015 and now have 10K miles. I'm thinking of returning to my Dealer to at least hear what they say. I just don't want all the seams to start splitting without me being on record for returning with this issue.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

These are an extra feature. If you get locked into the bed of the truck you can still get air to breath. Check out Q-222 which tells you not to use RTV Silicon on the aluminum body. They make several recommendations of materials. Also they also tell you what attachment bolts, hardware, etc you can use and how to isolate.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The aluminum bed floor and bed sides are riveted not welded, If the gap's excessive and the dealer wont help buy a tube of urethane as used to install wind shied and have at it. Or use body seam sealer either will make permanent solution Note RTV sealer not recommended.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I sealed the sides myself with a polyurethane or something like that.This is where the dust seemed to be getting in. I left the front unsealed for water to get out, seems to me that is the way it was done in the old days

Quick Reply: Truck bed question