Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer hauling and tow packages

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default trailer hauling and tow packages

Getting my first F-150 (never had any trucks--don't kill me) soon and I wondered about hauling. I plan to (probably will, but small chance it will never happen) buy a camper trailer--the kind that are like a full-on RV, but without an engine. The models I have looked at are like 7000 lbs fully loaded (with gear, water, etc.). I will be getting the 3.5 Ecoboost. I thought all along I needed/wanted the "max tow" package, and even when I thought I would buy a few months ago, was frustrated because so many trucks had the basic tow package. Now, as I read it, the main difference is the final gear ratio and the "max" package will cause your engine to run at higher RPMs and go through more gas--and maybe lead to more engine wear. I would most likely use the trailer a 3-5 times a year, and have a few sustained climbs in each of those times. Seems like since I will do a lot of freeway driving to work--80% of my driving--I should be fine with the regular towing package.

What do you haulers think?

Thanks,
Mike Todd
Old 02-20-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a towing noob myself. I want to buy a camper trailer too this summer. Basically, the heavier the truck (crew cab, 4x4 and more options) the lesser it tows. Also, there is LT (ten ply) tires for better towing. I would grab a 3.73 rear end, or a 3.55. I wish it was simple, but you need to read the stickers and be educated before you start looking for the look and color....

http://http://www.ford.ca/towingguides/

So ,the ecoboost 2 wheel drive short cab tows more than the more popular 4x4 crewcabs.

With my setup in sig, I can tow 9100 pounds max, that is with all the best conditions put together and all the calculations done. I thought I was getting a 11 000 pounds capacity with the V-8...

Payload is the killer. The door sticker tells you how much weight you can put on the truck. (the hitch, your weight and the passengers, your cargo, etc weight have to be substracted from that number.
That will give you how much tongue weight you can afford...

Correct me folks if I'm out to lunch. I'm lucky, because the trailers I'm looking at are the 21-23 foot dual axle type...not too heavy. Kids are not interested in following anymore...

Last edited by Delavan; 02-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

There is a towing section. If you are new to towing - Check it out.

while any ecoboost can easily pull the trailer, contrilling it is the issue. If you have an xlt, you likely have enough payload for the trailer. If its a loaded lariat or platinum you should check your payload and do some math - again check the towing section.

I would take short trips before you hook up and head out as 7k or more lbs with an f150 is just fine but still required some level of experience imo. Fyi i have towed 8k lbs cross country and for short trips towed well over the max tow limit- but this was a short trip and ive towed plenty.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

double post

Last edited by Derek FX4; 02-20-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Delavan
I'm a towing noob myself. I want to buy a camper trailer too this summer. Basically, the heavier the truck (crew cab, 4x4 and more options) the lesser it tows. Also, there is LT (ten ply) tires for better towing. I would grab a 3.73 rear end, or a 3.55. I wish it was simple, but you need to read the stickers and be educated before you start looking for the look and color....

http://http://www.ford.ca/towingguides/

So ,the ecoboost 2 wheel drive short cab tows more than the more popular 4x4 crewcabs.

With my setup in sig, I can tow 9100 pounds max, that is with all the best conditions put together and all the calculations done. I thought I was getting a 11 000 pounds capacity with the V-8...

Payload is the killer. The door sticker tells you how much weight you can put on the truck. (the hitch, your weight and the passengers, your cargo, etc weight have to be substracted from that number.
That will give you how much tongue weight you can afford...

Correct me folks if I'm out to lunch. I'm lucky, because the trailers I'm looking at are the 21-23 foot dual axle type...not too heavy. Kids are not interested in following anymore...
Good advice here. Payload and Rear axle weight rating are key.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

There's another wrinkle here: 4-wheel drive. I wouldn't think I need it. I have access to one person locally who's done a lot of this, and he said he's always gone with 2-wheel drive. I'm unlikely to drive/tow this in winter conditions, and offroad would only be the dirt roads at many campsites--roads that easily accommodate Honda Civics. I asked my Dad, who has also done quite a bit of towing, but he lives in a different world in Idaho. He didn't even know full sized trucks were available without 4 wheel drive so he never considered it. Anyway, it's a huge expense at, what, $3500, affects mileage, towing capacity, and can be a looming expense--one more thing that's expensive to repair. What do you think?
Thanks,
Mike Todd
Old 02-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dedalus5550
There's another wrinkle here: 4-wheel drive. I wouldn't think I need it. What do you think?
Thanks,
Mike Todd
Resale. Resale will be better/easier with 4wd(AWD). Also, remember, in ordinary driving, when wet, 2wd (light in the rear PU's) will slip the rear tires , especially taking off from stops. Very annoying. For that reason alone, I would not be without AWD.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Like you, I didn't think I needed 4wd, as I never go off road and we rarely get snow/ice here in the south. So I cheaped out and bought a 2wd and every time I tow, I regret it. Especially when I have to back a trailer up a hill, even on pavement. If its wet, it can be tricky.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I have yet to buy one myself and I recommended it to my old man who bought one. I think the Max tow is worth it. It gives you a lot for not much more. Axle upgraded to an E-locker 3.55, Tow controller, 36gal tank, and thicker frame. That is just off the top of my head. To be honest if you are worried about MPG and 2WD vs 4x4, then you are looking at the wrong vehicle. How you drive will have a much larger impact on your MPG than 4x4 vs 2WD. The EPA ratings are for 55mph on a highway, it is very impressive how much the EPA estimates drop off, when you go faster than that. As the pickup is a lot less aerodynamic than a sedan, the drag increases a lot more with speed. Going 70-75 in my old mans 3.5L ecoboost for a couple hours I was managing mid 17's for MPG. He gets around 15.6MPG around town.

@SprtPilot: My old man who barely puts anything in the bed noticed he slips more, when he is in 2H, vs 4A. I witnessed it after a rain.

If you live anywhere you get snow, it wouldn't go with out it 4x4.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

I love the max tow package, but not for it's towing capability. Rather I like it because it gives a substantial discount on the options I would want anyway: 36 gal tank, 3.55 e-locker, trailer brake controller, and tow package.