Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer brake controller problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default trailer brake controller problems

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else has had the following problem if so what did you do to fix it...

First off I have a 2015 F150 super crew 4X4 with the 5.0 and with the towing package and the built in brake controller. I have about 4 thousand miles on the pickup and I hooked up my trailer to my pick up and all seemed to work fine the truck seen the trailer and all the light worked, till I started down the road and then my little screen in the dash flash "no trailer connection" the the brake gain appeared and gave me the setting I had it at then disappeared... I stop and check the plug all was tight and the lights all worked... So this keeps happening over and over losing connection then it would reconnect over and over... the trailer brakes worked when the trailer was "connected" otherwise the chiming was driving me nuts... So I finished using the trailer and parked the trailer...

So thinking maybe my plug was bad I ordered and new plug and lead wire... I installed all new wiring from my junction box on the trailer to the plug.. thinking this was my problem I hooked the trailer up to the truck and sure and could be its worse now.. Now the marker lights flash and it dings no stop with "no trailer connection" driving me nuts...

So do you think maybe somewhere in the trailer is a short or is something fubared with the trailer tow module in my pickup.. I have not taken it to the dealer yet but will have them look at it when I get my first service done.. has anyone else had this problem? Thank you
The following users liked this post:
Hottap (07-17-2022)
Old 10-05-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If you know someone with another 15 F150 have them hook up to it and see if it does the same thing. Sounds like something in the truck to me
Hottap (07-17-2022)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is in the shop today for the exact same thing.. I'll let you know what happens..

Joe
Hottap (07-17-2022)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I installed the oem controller on mine and had the dealer turn it on, mine has worked great so far, if it's not the truck I would check the grounds on the trailer, something is giving you an intermittent connection. I know when I plug in I have to make something light up before it recognizes the connection but is good after that
Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

SSM 45236 - 2015 F-150 - Trailer Disconnected And/Or Trailer Battery Not Charging DisplayedIn The Message Center

Some 2015 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a trailer connected then trailer disconnected and/or a trailer battery not charging message displayed in the message center when no trailer is being used. To correct the concern, reprogram the Trailer Module (TRM) to the latest calibration using IDS version 96.01 or higher.

Last edited by tmcolegr; 10-06-2015 at 08:27 AM.
jd50i (04-17-2017)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the plug on the truck. I have had that problem when towing but usually only when making fairly sharp turns.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Mark

Received 2,420 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
SSM 45236 - 2015 F-150 - Trailer Disconnected And/Or Trailer Battery Not Charging DisplayedIn The Message Center

Some 2015 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a trailer connected then trailer disconnected and/or a trailer battery not charging message displayed in the message center when no trailer is being used. To correct the concern, reprogram the Trailer Module (TRM) to the latest calibration using IDS version 96.01 or higher.

This sounds like your fix...
Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr

Gonna go out on a limb and say this is the fix.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

subd
Old 10-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by dexleo2
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else has had the following problem if so what did you do to fix it...

First off I have a 2015 F150 super crew 4X4 with the 5.0 and with the towing package and the built in brake controller. I have about 4 thousand miles on the pickup and I hooked up my trailer to my pick up and all seemed to work fine the truck seen the trailer and all the light worked, till I started down the road and then my little screen in the dash flash "no trailer connection" the the brake gain appeared and gave me the setting I had it at then disappeared... I stop and check the plug all was tight and the lights all worked... So this keeps happening over and over losing connection then it would reconnect over and over... the trailer brakes worked when the trailer was "connected" otherwise the chiming was driving me nuts... So I finished using the trailer and parked the trailer...

So thinking maybe my plug was bad I ordered and new plug and lead wire... I installed all new wiring from my junction box on the trailer to the plug.. thinking this was my problem I hooked the trailer up to the truck and sure and could be its worse now.. Now the marker lights flash and it dings no stop with "no trailer connection" driving me nuts...

So do you think maybe somewhere in the trailer is a short or is something fubared with the trailer tow module in my pickup.. I have not taken it to the dealer yet but will have them look at it when I get my first service done.. has anyone else had this problem? Thank you
Hi dexleo2,

I recommend taking your rig to the dealership at your earliest opportunity for that trailer brake controller. Please send a PM with your full name, best contact number, VIN, and dealership information; I'll loop in your regional customer service to assist.

Originally Posted by meganjoe
Mine is in the shop today for the exact same thing.. I'll let you know what happens..

Joe
Hi meganjoe,

What did you find out? I'm here to lend a helping hand if needed.

Chad

Quick Reply: trailer brake controller problems