Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took delivery today and 2 hrs later it is back at dealer: Clearcoat issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Took delivery today and 2 hrs later it is back at dealer: Clearcoat issue

Morale of this story: When you take delivery, don't be afraid to take your time and insist the truck gets wiped down if it is wet from rain.

The Story:
I took delivery today of a 2015 XLT and it is back at the dealer after 2 hours.

It was raining when I picked it up... I called ahead and asked that it be brought inside and wiped off so I could inspect it. When I got there, the truck was inside, but not wiped off.

When I got home, the rain drops had blown off/dried off on the way home and I noticed approx. 6 spots on the Bronze Fire hood ranging in size from an pencil eraser to a dime.

My bad for not insisting they wipe it off (I didn't want to be a jerk).

Visually, the spots were opaque like and not on the surface. Perhaps air got under the clearcoat, but the clear coat felt like it was adhering to the bronze fire and not bubbling.

The spots were a bit white-ish with glisten to them like you see when there is an petroleum streak in water (e.g., gas/oil streak in water).

Anyone ever see spots like this before?

So back I went and left it at the dealer (26 miles on odometer).

Four guys came out to look and decided to schedule their body guy to swap hoods with another bronze fire F150 that came in the same day two days ago from Dearborn. (Among the comments I heard leading up to that decision was "it didn't come in that way.")

Any of you have success with painted body parts being swapped by dealers and still matching?

While I'm hopeful that they might be from the same paint batch, I'm not holding my breath. I used to be a pay point supervisor at SLAP (St. Louis Assembly Plant) back when we made the Aerostar -- I know that paint can be different even from the same plant from different shifts or days.

The dealer didn't write a ticket or give me a receipt for the truck.

The salesperson is going to call tomorrow and let me know what the body shop guy says.

Last edited by ChicagoJim; 09-10-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoJim
Morale of this story: When you take delivery, don't be afraid to take your time and insist the truck gets wiped down if it is wet from rain.

The Story:

It was raining when I picked it up... I called ahead and asked that it be brought inside and wiped off so I could inspect it. When I got there, the truck was inside, but not wiped off.

When I got home, the rain drops had blown off/dried off on the way home and I noticed approx. 6 spots on the Bronze Fire hood ranging in size from an pencil eraser to a dime.

Visually, the spots were opaque like and not on the surface. Perhaps air got under the clearcoat, but the clear coat felt like it was adhering to the bronze fire and not bubbling.

The spots were a bit white-ish with glisten to them like you see when there is an petroleum streak in water (e.g., gas/oil streak in water).

Four guys came out to look and decided to schedule their body guy to swap hoods with another bronze fire F150 that came in the same day two days ago from Dearborn. (Among the comments I heard leading up to that decision was "it didn't come in that way.")

Any of you have success with painted body parts being swapped by dealers and still matching?

While I'm hopeful that they might be from the same paint batch, I'm not holding my breath. I used to be a pay point supervisor at SLAP (St. Louis Assembly Plant) back when we made the Aerostar -- I know that paint can be different even from the same plant from different shifts or days.

The salesperson is going to call tomorrow and let me know what the body shop guy says.
Have them swap it with a new hood off another Bronze truck. That is what my dealer did for me.....
Old 09-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When I picked up my Green Gem 150 I noticed what appeared to be some kind of whitish hazy spots in the clear coat that were splotchy. It took almost 30 days for them to disappear. My guess is the clear coat was still curing.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Any pics? I painted at Ford dealers for 6 years. Mostly warranty... That's why I left lol.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting. I've been told by California dealers that it's illegal for dealers to switch out parts that have vin# stickers on them, with the hood and fenders being some of those parts.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The Story:

have them swap you bronze trucks!!!!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Here's the end of the story... All is well.

The dealer promptly swapped hoods immediately the following morning and I took the truck home at lunch. This hood doesn't have the clearcoat defects (it might have a couple like the last hood, but they are very, very tiny).

The dealer was accomodating and had it taken care of right away.

Originally Posted by mbullock
Any pics? I painted at Ford dealers for 6 years. Mostly warranty... That's why I left lol.
No, I didn't take photos. But apparently the body guy at the private shop who swapped hoods for the dealer suspects moisture got on the paint before the clearcoat. He thinks that a hot air gun would solve the other hood's problem.

For now, it all ended well.... I was fearing a difference in hood colors since the blend dates were different, but colors were spot on... I'm impressed with the paint supplier's mfg quality control and DTP's application control. I clearly remember from my days at SLAP that Paint was the most difficult operation... Also Paint supervisors never got chewed out any where as bad as the rest of us for going over their headcount.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Story:

Ever heard of the dna trace system stickers. They are tied back to your vin number. they may have opened up a can of worms swapping out the hoods. ALL body panels have them, as to keep the chop shops from selling them. So now your new hood has the wrong sticker on it.
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Willed
Ever heard of the dna trace system stickers. They are tied back to your vin number. they may have opened up a can of worms swapping out the hoods. ALL body panels have them, as to keep the chop shops from selling them. So now your new hood has the wrong sticker on it.
I suspect you are speculating the F-150 has a VIN sticker. Or do you know for a fact?

If you don't know for sure, you are doing readers a disservice by masquerading speculation as fact. Tut tut.

Besides, What do you think body shops do when after a collision they replace a body panel (i.e., from a donor vehicle)?

There is a different sticker referencing the 3.5 engine -- the dealer is going to get me a new sticker.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude, just trying to help, go open your doors, hood and all. They do have a sticker. Google it. it helps the authorities locate the owner, if vehicle is stolen
Attached Thumbnails Took delivery today and 2 hrs later it is back at dealer: Clearcoat issue-20150912_101815-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Willed; 09-12-2015 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (09-12-2015)

Quick Reply: Took delivery today and 2 hrs later it is back at dealer: Clearcoat issue