Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle body problem.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Throttle body problem.

Over the weekend I was having some problems with my truck. It would setake off the service light and go into limp mode. First time it happened I limped it to a locate dealer, but their service dept was closed. I got back in the truck and when I started it, the light was gone and the truck was fine. The next day I had to go to the gf, an hour and a half drive away. On my way the truck did the same thing, and again when I shut it off and restarted it it was back to normal. And being Sunday none of the dealers were open. I got the truck back home and took my old trusty Chevy for the rest of the day. The next day I took the truck to my local dealer to have it looked at. They scanned the truck and asked if I had a programmer on it, I don't. They said there were a few codes popping up all related to the throttle body. The dealer told me that they have replaced at least 20 in the last few months, so they replaced it. And the truck is fine now. The thing is a friend had this exact same problem with his dad's Escalade when they were traveling out east. It has me wondering if GM and Ford get their throttle bodis from the same supplier and if that supplier is have QC problems. Has anyone else had an issue with their trucks and I turned out to be the throttle body. GM has a TSB out on the issue and I was wondering if Ford should/does too.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

The throttle is fully electronic. If it detects anything, it will shut the truck down to prevent further damage to other components. Once restarted it reruns its strategy and if all parameters check out, it runs fine. GM's are real real bad about this and have been for like 12 years. Not too many fords though. But it should be covered under warranty regardless.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fireimp141
The throttle is fully electronic. If it detects anything, it will shut the truck down to prevent further damage to other components. Once restarted it reruns its strategy and if all parameters check out, it runs fine. GM's are real real bad about this and have been for like 12 years. Not too many fords though. But it should be covered under warranty regardless.
It was warrantied, and I know they are fly by wire, I had just never come across this problem before and never in my GM's.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Coronet
It was warrantied, and I know they are fly by wire, I had just never come across this problem before and never in my GM's.
I manage a mechanic shop and we prolly do roughly 2-3 TB's on GM products a week. It's insane.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had this issue today. I was merging onto a highway and I gunned it to accelerate and loss of power, limp mode, no acceleration. This is the 10+ time this has happened and previously ford replaced the throttle body. Tech mentioned that there were multiple ones getting replaced.

Luckily I was not hit or had this happen on a curve I would been screwed.

If it is not fixed I am not comfortable driving this truck if they will not acknowledge this flaw. I am disappointed with the quality of this truck and I will give Ford the chance to fix it but if I keep having these problems I will have to lemon law this.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb16-0139.pdf (97.2 KB, 1940 views)
The following users liked this post:
whirledpeaz (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:24 AM

Is there one out on the 5.0? Because that's what I have.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Coronet
Is there one out on the 5.0? Because that's what I have.
Nope

If you would have posted year and engine model in the OP or included that in your signature I would have refined my search. But since you didn't...
Old 01-30-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Happened to me also replaced throttle body then had to replace the ob port which was actually the problem fixed it runs fine now
Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with New 2015 F150 Throttle body

Originally Posted by talljoker
I just had this issue today. I was merging onto a highway and I gunned it to accelerate and loss of power, limp mode, no acceleration. This is the 10+ time this has happened and previously ford replaced the throttle body. Tech mentioned that there were multiple ones getting replaced.

Luckily I was not hit or had this happen on a curve I would been screwed.

If it is not fixed I am not comfortable driving this truck if they will not acknowledge this flaw. I am disappointed with the quality of this truck and I will give Ford the chance to fix it but if I keep having these problems I will have to lemon law this.
My wife and I bought a new 2015 f150 3.5 eco boost about a year and half ago, after around 30k miles we started having same problem with loss of power and a wrech shows up on screen. So, we would stop and turn it off and start it back and it would go for a while and do the same thing and this keep going on so i called a dealership and they come and picked it up and fixed it! It was the throttle body. Next time it happened about 10k miles later when we were over a thousand miles from home in North Dakota on interstate driving around 70 plus and just so happened traffic was not too bad and was able to get off of road and this went on several times and finally settled down for a few hundred miles. We finally made it to Cody Wyoming but dealership was closed and so we rented a vehicle and left it sitting at the dealership with a note and in two business days they had it fixed! Same problem the throttle body! My family was having a lot of panic pains for 3 days with this problem as we had to change some of our plans.
So about 10k more miles it happens again but this time we were home when it happened and guess what! It was the throttle body again and I asked the dealership to find out what was causing the problem and they said "they couldn't find anything"!
I called the dealership where we bought it several times and the operator would send me to someones voice mail several times and I haven't heard back from them since then and that has been several months ago! I also called Ford at Dearborn and talked 2 or 3 times explaining how there has been a total of 4 new throttle bodies on this truck in just a little over a year of owning it, and how my family was not confortable or felt safe as for the dependability of this truck.
We use this truck for long distant drives and it sure doesn't feel good not knowing when the next time this throttle body is going to shut us down in the middle of nowhere! We love the truck but not the on going problem with the throttle body. The reason we bought a new f150 was we wanted to know we would have something that would be dependable for us on long trips but now we do not feel safe and just don't know when the next breakdown will be!
Since it has been replaced by dealerships 3 times with new parts making a grand total of 4 including one on it when new, I never expected these problems with a new f150 but we are looking for a solution so we will not have to worry if we will make it or not.
Does anyone know something we can do as the woman we talked to at Ford in Dearborn a couple of times has not contacted us back like they said they would do! We are not happy with Fords service to our problems.

Search this Thread