Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tailgate Adjustment

OK, I am hoping you guys can help. I purchased a 2015 lariat with the remote tailgate and ordered the Ford (Rev) Folding tonneau cover. The instructions say to make sure the tailgate is level with the bed rails on both sides for correct installation. Well... I installed the cover and of course the passenger side of the tailgate needs to be raised a little bit. I have found post that talk about adjusting the striker for left to right alignment but nothing on up and down. Can anybody provide me some guidance on how this is done?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Pics?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by COBRAJOE
Pics?
I'll try to figure out how in the morning.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 AM

Ok, here are the pictures (hopefully). On the driver side the weather strip sits fairly flush with the tailgate, on the passenger there is a gap. There is a noticeable different in height variance between the body and tailgate on either side. The driver's side is pretty even, on the passenger's the tailgate is lower then the body or top of cap. The lines on the truck seem to match up and be square (hard to explain, but it looks right).

I took it to the dealer this morning, and they said there is nothing they can do without breaking welds and realigning stuff. They said it looks more like rail (cap) is not sitting all the way down, so its not the body but the rail. They also said there is no up and down adjustment on the tailgates with remote release, that they are aware of.

I do have a dualliner installed, but I don't think that is causing any issues because the driver's side seems to be sitting flush.

Any suggestions? I hate to think i spent all that money on a cover that is just going to let water poor in.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

After installing the No-Slam tailgate damper, I can tell you there is at least a LITTLE bit of adjustability if you loosen the passenger side screws on the hinge. I'd imagine you could bring up that corner at least 5mm with that simple adjustment which wouldn't break any welds at all.

You may expose some unpainted aluminum under the hinge with that adjustment but I don't suspect that would be a problem.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

You can prob adjust the bed cover rails, I have a revolver X2 and had a bigger gap then I thought it should have at the tailgate as well.

I loosened all the clamps, 3 on each side, then retightened pressing hard on top, then tightening down. Well I did too much, and now the tailgate is hard to close w my cover in the locked position. Because the cover lip is just barely lower then to top of the tailgate. If I close the tailgate slowly, the cover lifts up just enough to close the tailgate

That shows the cover can go up and down depending on how high/low the rails are mounted.

I plan to do it again, but have my wife sit in bed and put tailgate up (lock her in there) then press down and tighten to get the exact right height.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the BAK Revolver X2 and also had that situation (as RACER X said). I ended up figuring out that the back most rail clamp on the passenger side was 2" farther forward then the one on the drives side (shouldn't make that much of a difference but it did). I then put both rear rail clamps in the same position, and also put some slight shims under the drivers side (it was too tight on the drivers side), and retighten both rear clamps and pulled out the shim. Now everything looks straight even though there is a slight drop in the tailgate on the passenger side (less then 2mm).
Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

After a little time it may settle down on its own? Otherwise an adjustment should be able to pickup that. Enjoy your new truck!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have same problem but with Truxedo truxport cover. passenger side of tailgate is too low. I will try adjusting myself or take it to dealer..
Old 06-03-2016, 11:28 PM

Default Tailgate help

I just purchased a 2013 f150 lariat.It has remote start. The lock and unlock buttons work on all 4 doors but not the tailgate lock.before i call the dealer to complain that its broken i figured id find out what you guys have to say. I would think the lock and unlock buttons would work on the tailgate too. Isnt this a standard feature? The owners manual says nothing about it. Anybody have any idea how to figure out if its broken or if the truck just isnt equiped with that option.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Adjustment