Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stubby Antenna, which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Stubby Antenna, which to buy?

Hi guys. I know a lot of you have purchased a shorter antenna for our trucks. I looked at a bunch on amazon and am having a hard time making up my mind. Stubby or 13" "medium" I like either style.

I'm just looking for the best reception and an antenna that will not whip my garage door anymore. Let me know where you found yours and if you tried a few before you found the right one. I do like to listen to the radio during long trips (Baseball, Hockey and Football) so reception is a main selling point.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

The shorter the Antenna the worse the reception.

I put this one on, looks and works great. Doesn't scrape the garage. They have shorter ones but the shorter.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-Black-Spr...dVzPnr&vxp=mtr
Old 12-10-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the Cravenspeed stubby. I mainly listen to XM, so for me it's perfect. Signal degraded a bit, but not horribly and I don't whip my garage door anymore. They say the Cravenspeed .50cal antenna gets slightly better reception as it's a little larger than the stubby.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Where do you live? Are you in an urban area with tons of radio etc....then you wont notice much difference in signal with the stubby. If you are in a more rural area going with the medium length might be a better option as signals are harder to get out there.

Also, what do you listen to? Do you use the AM/FM alot? Or just occasionally? I never use mine and never plan to so I went short even though I am going to be moving to a more rural area.

Some people are taking the ball off the top of their stock antenna and then cutting it down and reapplying the ball and say that works great for them, so you could even try the free version and then if you like a certain length order the stubby version.

Worst comes to worst, they aren't super expensive and you could probably even return it after a few days of use if you don't like the one you get.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

If you only listen to FM channels, go as short as you want IMO. I use the 3" white/carbon stubby from Amazon, haven't noticed any loss in reception.

For receiving, you only need something exposed to the signal that is both not interfered with (e.g. the surface of the vehicle) and long enough to overcome line of sight obstacles. FM is a line of sight transmission so hills, tunnels, etc. all will block transmissions (albeit you may receive bounced signals in tunnels and hills). Most FM stations transmit at around 100k watts and next to no antenna is needed for up to a few miles (line-of-sight). For every building, tree, structure between you and the transmitter, they diminish the effective range and the longer antenna with the better decibel rating will keep you listening to that station longer.

Last edited by srg963; 12-10-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Some people are taking the ball off the top of their stock antenna and then cutting it down and reapplying the ball and say that works great for them, so you could even try the free version and then if you like a certain length order the stubby version.
I may have to give this a try myself. I've looked at a bunch of stubby's, from 3" up to 21" like idrive has, but any from Amazon seem to have to many bad reviews.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I got the Craven Speed one as well I think its like 8" I was out in the country when i put it on and immediately lost the station I was listening too but I honestly dont listen to FM/AM much at all so it didnt bother me. For the most part everything comes in fine. If there is a station you barely get in with the regular antenna you are going to lose it with the stubby, but the stubby looks 10 times better and doesnt scrape anything.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Master of the Universe

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I cut off the top 3" of my antenna (and JB welded the ball back on, spraying it all black again) and it's been great. I'm fairly rural with weak radio reception, and this made no difference. I can now get into my garage without whacking the antenna on the garage door, and the antenna is still the highest point of the truck so it serves as a warning for how close the parkade roof is No whistling noises either, as some other stubbies have.

Last edited by electrostaticman; 12-10-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I use this one. Can't tell you much about reception yet though.....12-13 bucks at AutoZone.
Attached Thumbnails Stubby Antenna, which to buy?-image-3098862452.jpg  
Old 12-10-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I've read a decent amount of reviews claiming issues with stubby antennas easily snapping off or rusting in the connector and breaking off the threads in socket (requiring to be drilled out).

Are some brands better than others? I like the look of the stubby, don't care too much for radio reception, but I don't want something that will cause headaches down the road.

Quick Reply: Stubby Antenna, which to buy?