Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel vs Aluminum - Eye Opener

Old 02-23-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Attaching Steel/SS to Aluminum - Eye Opener

Just read a post from GNTY (Thanks!) that references a Ford Report on watching your attachments to their aluminum:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-222.pdf

as part of a catalog that further discusses the topic here:
http://issuu.com/truckhardware/docs/..._catalog_issue

See the pictures on page 2 of the catalog. Daaamn.... Watch those aftermarket accessories.

Despite all that, I did a quick look at the galvanic series to see if these two are at opposite ends of the series here:
http://corrosion-doctors.org/Definit...nic-series.htm

They are not far apart?!! In fact it appears they are very close to each other. (Not sure which grade of Aluminum though). On the other hand, there are some stainless steels at the opposite end. They appear problematic. But maybe someone can explain all this better.

But, I just wanted to raise the awareness of this. I knew it could be an issue, just didn't know how much of an issue.

Last edited by powergator; 02-23-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Galvanic corrosion is a self created problem. The simple thing to remember is don't mix steel and aluminum. For example, don't grab those sheet metal screws to put your autozone mud flaps on. Same with bed boxes or whatever do-dad you feel the need to stack on your ride. Ford spent a great deal of money training ther collision techs and required certified shops to buy dedicated (Aluminum only) tools and build special clean rooms for doing collision repair on the new F150. All of that because contaminated tools and steel dust could cause galvanic corrosion post-repair.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is great. Was just thinking about adding mud flaps...this bit of info is really helpful. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Halfshell1
Galvanic corrosion is a self created problem. The simple thing to remember is don't mix steel and aluminum. For example, don't grab those sheet metal screws to put your autozone mud flaps on. Same with bed boxes or whatever do-dad you feel the need to stack on your ride. Ford spent a great deal of money training ther collision techs and required certified shops to buy dedicated (Aluminum only) tools and build special clean rooms for doing collision repair on the new F150. All of that because contaminated tools and steel dust could cause galvanic corrosion post-repair.
In the reference from Ford (Q-222) it refers to steel, but allows steel that has been "properly" insulated. But it appears that stainless steel is a bigger problem. Its interesting that RTV silicone is disallowed also along with some other oddballs. Definitely something to be careful with.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

This is very true.. In aviation it has been a problem but it is correct that with proper insulation it can be averted, Aluminum does not rust but it can corrode. Mismatched material accelerate the process. Bottom line steel and aluminum don't play nice together. Should you worry... Maybe if you don't pay attention to your truck. It is a different animal than we are used to but not catastrophic just keep an eye on it if you do mix the two with out insulators...
Old 02-24-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been concerned about this very thing.

Something as simple as tinting windows could find a stainless screw used by accident instead of the aluminum one that came with it.

What about the clamps for tonneau covers? Are they shipping with aluminum clamps?

The little things like mudflaps, and wheel well liners, if steal is used, could pose significant corrosion, especially with the salt and water from the elements.

It's stuff like this that keeps me up at night, lol
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bretcoe
I've been concerned about this very thing. Something as simple as tinting windows could find a stainless screw used by accident instead of the aluminum one that came with it. What about the clamps for tonneau covers? Are they shipping with aluminum clamps? The little things like mudflaps, and wheel well liners, if steal is used, could pose significant corrosion, especially with the salt and water from the elements. It's stuff like this that keeps me up at night, lol
I spoke to Bak about their hardware, specifically the Roll-X for a 2015 F150. I was told the hardware is aluminum. Also, I just bought a set of Ford molded mud flaps. They come with an insulator where the steel support arm meets the aluminum.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 1,600 Likes on 904 Posts

Ford spent a great deal of money training ther collision techs and required certified shops to buy dedicated (Aluminum only) tools and build special clean rooms for doing collision repair on the new F150.
Ford didn't pay for this. Each collision shop and dealership foot the bill.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by roadPilot
Ford didn't pay for this. Each collision shop and dealership foot the bill.
I read somewhere that ford partially subsidized the cost of training and infrastructure upgrades to select dealer body shops.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MBash
I read somewhere that ford partially subsidized the cost of training and infrastructure upgrades to select dealer body shops.
This is correct.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel vs Aluminum - Eye Opener