Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling out when starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stalling out when starting

Well, this morning my opinion of the truck just changed. I started it up and, as usual, started waiting the 30-60 seconds for oil pressure to rise and for the RPMs to drop below 1K before putting it in gear. Except while I was waiting it started to run rough, and then the RPMs suddenly dipped way below 1000, to about 600 and the truck stalled out.
I've tried starting it again, and it turns over, the tach shows about 200 but I'm not getting any ignition or only a little sputter.
So, now I'm waiting for Ford roadside, who told me it'll be about an hour and 20 minutes. Needless to say, I'm not too happy that my "new worry free vehicle" is making me a few hours late to work this morning, before the first payment has even come out.
FWIW, SCrew XLT 4x4 3.5na
Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

That sucks man. My cam phaser(s) were bad from the factory. Mine did pretty much what you're describing minus the dying and never starting back up.

They had my truck for 3 weeks waiting on parts.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Not trying to be a smart *** to you but not sure why you or anyone would think it's a "new worry free vehicle". If anyone tells you that they don't have a clue and not something you should believe. You buy it new to get what goes wrong repaired with a warranty. It's not if something goes wrong, it's when. I know people that never made it home after picking up their new vehicle before going on the hook

Sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem which could be a number of things. You'll be back on the road in no time. Frustrating day it is though
Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Sorry, maybe worry free was the wrong way to put it. I expect there'll be a few things here and there, rattles and adjustments, premature wear, and that's fine. I don't stress or worry over those things... You make an appointment and you take it in.
But when the snow starts flying and my wife needs to go to the hospital, I need something that can absolutely get us there.
The following users liked this post:
StevieP65 (09-09-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:04 PM

Still no word on the truck, just hoping that I have it back for the long weekend coming up (Civic holiday here on Monday).
I've never had a vehicle in under such circumstances. What is a reasonable amount of time for a dealership to look at a new vehicle brought in on the hook?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Stalling out when starting

Curious as to what they found out?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM

Sorry for the slow/late reply.

Here's an update: they pulled a couple codes PO61A and UO140. There was an issue with the PCM (a fault/glitch/file corruption) and they ran an update on the PCM. I'm not sure why an update was necessary 6 weeks from the build date. The truck ran well for another 5 weeks.

Further update: I had the truck on an 1900km road trip over the weekend. I took my wife's car to work on Monday morning. Monday evening I was ready to go out in the truck and the same issue happened again and I t was towed to the dealer last night. After it came off the tow truck I tried starting it again and the dash lit up completely with errors on the screen like hill start assist not available (of course it isn't, I don't have that option), service advance trac, etc.

This makes it sound similar to issues that some others have had on here. Although I have not had the problem while in motion. This may be partly because I always let the truck warm up for close to a minute before putting it in gear.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:31 PM

As it turns out, the issues that came up once it got to the dealership are unrelated to the no start issue. The tech found that the wheel speed sensor got sheared off when it got hooked up for the tow.

As for the no start, the dealership was unable to replicate, and pulled no codes. I've been told that the issue has been escalated to FOMOCO.

So, it looks like I'll be getting the truck back without getting to the bottom of this issue, but at least it's being investigated now.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NBGBW
As it turns out, the issues that came up once it got to the dealership are unrelated to the no start issue. The tech found that the wheel speed sensor got sheared off when it got hooked up for the tow.

As for the no start, the dealership was unable to replicate, and pulled no codes. I've been told that the issue has been escalated to FOMOCO.

So, it looks like I'll be getting the truck back without getting to the bottom of this issue, but at least it's being investigated now.

Got ya, escalated and investigated??

Quick Reply: Stalling out when starting