Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Upgrade 2015 F150 - Infinity Kappa

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker Upgrade 2015 F150 - Infinity Kappa

Thought I would post this to possibly help some people out. I installed 6.5 in the rear doors on my super crew and 6x9 in the front. The rears required absolutely no modifications from the Kappa mounting bracket. The front I cut out the factory speaker and used the plastic base to bolt it in. Next on my list is to install my JL 8" sub w/ Rockford fosgate amp. I also plan on adding an amp to the door speakers as it does sound good but I think with the amp it will be at optimum listening bliss.

The following users liked this post:
FooFighter73 (09-21-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 02:30 AM

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Did you cut the ends of the factory wire off to wire them in? Had to do the same on my tundra it used the speaker in basket design. The difference in magnet size is crazy. I'm sure they are a huge upgrade over stock. I will be upgrading mine as well.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 AM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Can you measure the impedance of the original speakers with a multimeter? Are they 4 ohms or 2 ohms?

I am debating between the kappas and the reference series.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Good info here! Keep us posted as you install the sub and amps please!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by smallseafishie
Can you measure the impedance of the original speakers with a multimeter? Are they 4 ohms or 2 ohms?

I am debating between the kappas and the reference series.
I don't have anything to test that but they are probably 4 ohm. I wouldn't recommend the reference series. I had them and they were not good at all. The Kappas are a much nicer speaker.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a nice looking truck, you must have good tastes! I am amazed at the lack of size on those factory speakers. I haven't touched mine yet but did add a Pioneer 10" sub and it sounds great.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to defend the original Ford speakers, but they use Neodymium magnets which are over 10x stronger than ceramic magnets. Most aftermarket speakers use ceramic. A lot of OE speakers use Neo because they are a lot more compact and weigh less. So size is usually not a good indicator or quality.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jhunt47
Thanks for sharing. Did you cut the ends of the factory wire off to wire them in? Had to do the same on my tundra it used the speaker in basket design. The difference in magnet size is crazy. I'm sure they are a huge upgrade over stock. I will be upgrading mine as well.
I also came from a tundra, lol. It was the worst speaker job I have ever done... These fit way better in the F150. I crimped on connectors on the wires inside the bracket to retain the factory connectors. The rear ones would be challenging to do that to.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Derelique
I don't have anything to test that but they are probably 4 ohm. I wouldn't recommend the reference series. I had them and they were not good at all. The Kappas are a much nicer speaker.
Yes I'm aware that the Kappas are all around better. I considered the references for the high sensitiviy which possibly eliminated the need for an amp. However, if the stock drivers are 4 ohms, then the References are not of consideration since they're 2 ohm drivers. If I go with Kappas, I'd be driving them with an amp. I've had references before and in all honesty, they're not bad for a 1/3 of the price compared to the kappas.

And as another poster mentioned, the size of the magnets is not a good comparison as they're not the same types of magnets.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Speaker Upgrade 2015 F150 - Infinity Kappa

Originally Posted by havaclu
Not to defend the original Ford speakers, but they use Neodymium magnets which are over 10x stronger than ceramic magnets. Most aftermarket speakers use ceramic. A lot of OE speakers use Neo because they are a lot more compact and weigh less. So size is usually not a good indicator or quality.
To be honest I did not know this thanks for that info.

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade 2015 F150 - Infinity Kappa