Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some questions about the F150/Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some questions about the F150/Platinum

I looked at a crew cab F150 4x4 king ranch (the trim just behind platinum I think) it had all kinds of LED lighting inside/out and I have TWO main questions:

1. this particular truck has LED lights; is Ford doing away with HIDs? I hate the high blue kelvin; it makes it look dimmer and I'd rather have a lower/whiter color (there are some LEDs that can do this) I honestly would rather have HIDs...

2. I'm very interested in the 360 degree camera but I believe this is mostly used for offroading or tight clearances? Could I use it to see what is in front of my bumper when approaching a pole or another vehicle while parking in a parking space? Or while driving?

If I get "nay" answers on both of these then I should just look for another 2014 with a better trim and bigger screen since mine is the XLT and I wanted the FX4 but couldn't get; but I love the backup camera on the 2015 with tire/steering indicator .
Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 AM
2015 S/C 4x4 K/R Owner

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mynetdude
I looked at a crew cab F150 4x4 king ranch (the trim just behind platinum I think) it had all kinds of LED lighting inside/out and I have TWO main questions:

1. this particular truck has LED lights; is Ford doing away with HIDs? I hate the high blue kelvin; it makes it look dimmer and I'd rather have a lower/whiter color (there are some LEDs that can do this) I honestly would rather have HIDs...

2. I'm very interested in the 360 degree camera but I believe this is mostly used for offroading or tight clearances? Could I use it to see what is in front of my bumper when approaching a pole or another vehicle while parking in a parking space? Or while driving?

If I get "nay" answers on both of these then I should just look for another 2014 with a better trim and bigger screen since mine is the XLT and I wanted the FX4 but couldn't get; but I love the backup camera on the 2015 with tire/steering indicator .

1. Leds are replacing hids on many high end vehicles. Much longer life just as good pattern/coverage. High end f150s have led headlamps.

2. I wouldnt pay extra for the 360 cam. Get it on a raptor since its a rock crawler. On a city truck not so much.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

1. The LED headlights are really very good. I was skeptical, but they push hard and will last a long time.

2. I use the 360 camera every time I pull into my rather narrow garage. I haven't done it yet, but it will be useful for tight spots regularly. It's not perfect, but it gives some good visibility especially off the passenger side where your vision is limited.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by bt_osu
1. Leds are replacing hids on many high end vehicles. Much longer life just as good pattern/coverage. High end f150s have led headlamps.

2. I wouldnt pay extra for the 360 cam. Get it on a raptor since its a rock crawler. On a city truck not so much.
1. on the LEDs is there any way to get them to lower the K kelvin? too blue/purple is not bright enough IMO the light intensity doesn't seem to be there unless using high beam in my humble opinion really... their LEDs are set to 6200k and I prefer it closer to 4800k maybe 5200k

2. Ok so I looked at a feature called active park assist; this requires the 360 cam feature I believe so it would be worth it to me for city driving.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:22 AM

Received 248 Likes on 156 Posts

The LED lights are very good and the best I have ever had.

I think at low speeds you can use the front cam. The backup cam is a split screen of the rear cam and the 360 view.

The 2015 is a much nicer truck the 2014. The platinum level has many improvements that are useful, especially the adaptive cruise and heated steering wheel. I use both of them quite often. This cold winter has made the heated wheel a real luxury. The improved cruise control alone is worth getting a 2015.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I ordered the KR and with all the options I ordered was slightly more than a similarly equipped Platinum. I didn't get the 360 camera. I live in the north and to keep all the cameras clean in the winter would be an issue with all the salt and sand they put on the roads here. I have a problem just keeping the rear camera clean during the winter. If I lived in the south it's something I would have probably ordered.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bikermike

I think at low speeds you can use the front cam. The backup cam is a split screen of the rear cam and the 360 view.

The 2015 is a much nicer truck the 2014. The platinum level has many improvements that are useful, especially the adaptive cruise and heated steering wheel. I use both of them quite often. This cold winter has made the heated wheel a real luxury. The improved cruise control alone is worth getting a 2015.
yeah... I would like to get the platinum but here's the crazy thing... its a minimum of $60k I owe $42k on the '14 I'm hoping they'll give me $35k that's a $7k neg I'd need to get them to take as much of that $7k without adding it to the $60k (I'd really like to stay closer to $54k but there's no way... not with a platinum and all the features as I mentioned here) BUT I have a feeling they'll probably give me more like $31k on the '14 now you're talking about an $11k neg... no can do unless I traded my camaro in with the truck; I don't want to give up the Camaro.

The lender has told me interest rates went up 2 months ago and the trucks were barely available then! They will not give me the same interest as I currently have on my existing loan on the new truck (as in they won't roll it over) my current loan is at 3.75% interest for my score bracket from last year is now 3.99% HOWEVER my score fell and now I no longer qualify for the 3.99 bracket and now must take the 5.99% this all wouldn't be a problem if Ford had brought out these trucks during the summer prior to the new year they are destined for and I would already have the 2015.

I'd need a considerable downpayment to get more "padding" so I can still keep it at $60k at that rate my payments will be almost $950/month (my current payments are $589/month and if they would give me the 3.99% for $60k it would be $819/month 2 whole points is a killer.

Oh and I wished the LED lights weren't so blue-ish
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 AM

I've looked around... and I was right... a lot of people are complaining that the LED headlights don't have the intensity that the HIDs offered... sorry I ain't falling for the fact its the most powerful LED headlight out there... well let's see... there's a few problems and I kinda figured it out...

1 LED? are you kidding me? Maybe they should add a 2nd one... more is better :P lower the color temperature so you get a bit more of a white and brighter intensity! I love my HID headlights, too bad this truck has too much potential I'm probably going to have to stay with my '14 which is a big turn off.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The OEM factory lights are a big improvement over the typical lights that are installed. They are bright and look good as well. I had installed a pair of HIDs in my 2011 Platinum. I just wasn't a fan. I liked the way they looked but the light pattern is better for my "old eyes" with the new LEDs. I replaced the factory halogen driving lights on the 2015. That made a big difference as well. I'm not in agreement that any of the LEDs have a blueish tint to to them.

With regards to the camera; at 5 mph or less you can view the front camera. It is fairly accurate. The rear camera (while 360 degrees) is a bit "busy" for me. Additionally, this camera as the "second set" of turning lines. My point being when backing up between a pair of "yellow or white" parking lines and the 2 stationary lines plus the two moving white lines, the screen is busy. Add to that the side view and quite frankly it's a bit much. Personally, I preferred the older camera in the 2011. The side view does come in handy when backing in between vehicles, though quite frankly I park away from other cars. One nice thing is that you can turn the 360 off to view a full screen of the rear.

Originally Posted by Bikermike

Old 03-26-2015, 06:32 AM
JHG

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a Lariat which has the LEDs and the Technology package which includes the 4 cameras and Kane assist (which is awesome).

I answer you lighting question because it is over my head, but I LOVE my LED's so glad I got a package they come with.

2nd question is yes you can turn on forward camera when pulling up to obstructions as long as you are going under about 10 mph. All cameras will come on automatically when you put truck in reverse and you can choose a specific view or a split screen.

I looked at a crew cab F150 4x4 king ranch (the trim just behind platinum I think) it had all kinds of LED lighting inside/out and I have TWO main questions: 1. this particular truck has LED lights; is Ford doing away with HIDs? I hate the high blue kelvin; it makes it look dimmer and I'd rather have a lower/whiter color (there are some LEDs that can do this) I honestly would rather have HIDs... 2. I'm very interested in the 360 degree camera but I believe this is mostly used for offroading or tight clearances? Could I use it to see what is in front of my bumper when approaching a pole or another vehicle while parking in a parking space? Or while driving? If I get "nay" answers on both of these then I should just look for another 2014 with a better trim and bigger screen since mine is the XLT and I wanted the FX4 but couldn't get; but I love the backup camera on the 2015 with tire/steering indicator .

Quick Reply: some questions about the F150/Platinum