Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius XM in KR and Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Sirius XM in KR and Platinum

I know that the King Ranch and Platinum's come standard with Sirius XM, but does that package come with free service for five years? If not how much is the monthly service?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquapools
I know that the King Ranch and Platinum's come standard with Sirius XM, but does that package come with free service for five years? If not how much is the monthly service?
In the original order guide, I'm pretty sure it was 5 years of Siruis and Travel Link for 5 years for the Lariat 502a package and up.

Edit: standard XM Traffic and Travel Link in all Lariats and up when you get NAV, but looks like Sirius Radio is only a trial subscription. Not sure about XLTs:

Last edited by BlacknTan2; 11-23-2014 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Aquapools (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Airstreamer

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Sirius is just a trial because they want to get you hooked into their subscription model. I bought my truck used and they offered me a trial period as a new owner of a used vehicle, which I cancelled when they started billing for it. Then they made me an offer that was drastically less than their normal rate if I paid 6 months up front, after which it renewed monthly at the high rate and I cancelled. We went through this cycle a couple of times before I found a nice bluetooth adapter that plugs into the aux-in port (mine's an '07, no BT) so I could get music off my phone. Between that and data CDs of MP3s, I've managed to ignore SiriusXM for quite a while now. I'll give them another chance during the trial when I get my '16.

TL;DR: Cancel after the initial trial and they'll make you a better offer. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GearheadGeek
Sirius is just a trial because they want to get you hooked into their subscription model. I bought my truck used and they offered me a trial period as a new owner of a used vehicle, which I cancelled when they started billing for it. Then they made me an offer that was drastically less than their normal rate if I paid 6 months up front, after which it renewed monthly at the high rate and I cancelled. We went through this cycle a couple of times before I found a nice bluetooth adapter that plugs into the aux-in port (mine's an '07, no BT) so I could get music off my phone. Between that and data CDs of MP3s, I've managed to ignore SiriusXM for quite a while now. I'll give them another chance during the trial when I get my '16.

TL;DR: Cancel after the initial trial and they'll make you a better offer. Lather, rinse, repeat.
But the trial period is now 5 years...
Old 11-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Airstreamer

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacknTan2
But the trial period is now 5 years...
Incorrect. The included subscription for TRAFFIC data is 5 years. "Traffic and Travel Link." I don't know how long the music/news/talk-radio trial is, but I'd bet you a mortgage payment it's 12 months or less.

From this link I'd guess it's 6 months.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes there is only a 6 month trial subscription for the "real" part of Sirius. For any vehicle with a built-in satellite radio, you can get a free 2 month trial by signing up at https://care.siriusxm.com/preownedve...al_view.action. The interesting thing about that site is you can keep signing up every couple of months, over and over again just with new account information. It works for Canadians as well (using a US address, real or fake) and has been working this way for more than 2 years now.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

Explain "with new account information." Do you mean acquiring a new RADIO ID each time in addition to your name, etc. Are you faking the entire info requirement, i.e. Radio ID, VIN, name, address, etc.? Is SIRUS' computer system so inadequate they can't figure out such a scam occurring? Perhaps so, since all of the 6 month trial periods in two vehicles took over a year before service was discontinued.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Explain "with new account information." Do you mean acquiring a new RADIO ID each time in addition to your name, etc. Are you faking the entire info requirement, i.e. Radio ID, VIN, name, address, etc.? Is SIRUS' computer system so inadequate they can't figure out such a scam occurring? Perhaps so, since all of the 6 month trial periods in two vehicles took over a year before service was discontinued.
The radio ID stays the same - it has to be a legitimate factory install, the rest can be whatever you want. IMO SirusXM is itself a scam, a business model with highly questionable practices that keep it alive such as automatic subscription renewals at rates 3 - 5 times what others pay for the same service.
The following users liked this post:
ducgsxr (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Derodeo
The radio ID stays the same - it has to be a legitimate factory install, the rest can be whatever you want. IMO SirusXM is itself a scam, a business model with highly questionable practices that keep it alive such as automatic subscription renewals at rates 3 - 5 times what others pay for the same service.

I fully agree with your appraisal of SiriusXM business practices. When my trial period finally expired on my two current vehicles, I did not renew due to a frustrating, exasperating experience I had with their aggressive auto-renew procedures, repeated billings, and threats of litigation. I finally beat them down with written notices of cancellation and counter-threats of litigation (I was serious...others have successfully brought suit). There are viable alternatives to music in my vehicles in lieu of such agonizing experiences from that company.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 369 Likes on 201 Posts

it clearly states on my window sticker that sirius xm is a 6 month prepaid subscription. In my current f150 it just stopped working after 6 months, i didnt get any charges after the prepaid portion expired

Quick Reply: Sirius XM in KR and Platinum