Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius radio and Travel Link trouble! - A word of warning!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sirius radio and Travel Link trouble! - A word of warning!

I ordered my 2015 F150 in March with Sirius radio and Navigation. The radio included a 6 month free trial membership and the Navigation system includes the 5 year membership to Travel Link and NavTraffic. My trial XM radio subscription expired last week so I called Sirius to have my lifetime membership transferred to the radio. The switch over seemed to go well until I tried to use the Travel Link service yesterday. I got a message saying that the service was not activated and I would need to call Sirius to start a membership! After 20 minutes on the phone with a Sirius customer service rep I was told that my lifetime membership did not include Travel link or Nav Traffic and that I would have to contact my Ford dealer to have them activate the service! After trying to explain that the truck was supposed to have a 5 year Travel Link membership I was told there was nothing more they could do and that since the trial membership was thru Ford I would have to go thru the dealer to rectify the problem.

I called the salesman who sold me the truck. He didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about and wasn't even familiar with Travel Link. Neither was the dealers service department! The salesman did eventually call Sirius and was told that I only had a 6 month Travel Link trial and that once I initiated the switch over to my lifetime XM membership the Travel Link services were terminated! I reminded him that the Travel Link service was supposed to be for 5 years and he argued with me that that wasn't the case! I hung up and called him back today citing the page in the F150 brochure that states that there is a 5 year membership included with the Nav system. He then tried to tell me I never registered with Sync online. This was not true as I had done that when I first got the truck and everything was working until I activated my lifetime XM membership! Seeing this was going nowhere I hung up and called Sirius back.

After speaking to a different customer service rep I was told that the problem was that when they terminated the XM radio 6 month trial it automatically terminated my Travel Link services and that I should have been told that would happen when I applied my membership to the radio! If I had been told that switching my lifetime subscription to this radio would adversely affect my Travel Link services I certainly would have questioned it! They later admitted this should not have happened.

What this boils down to is whoever terminated my XM 6 month trial and switched my lifetime membership over to this radio screwed up big time and canceled my 5 year Travel Link service by mistake. I am now awaiting a call from Sirius to find out what they can do to resolve the issue which could take 7 to 10 days!!! What should have been a simple matter to correct has escalated to major ordeal!

My warning is to other XM subscribers that try to transfer a lifetime membership. BE SURE YOU SPEAK TO A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP WHO KNOWS WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING!

Last edited by jhenry2015; 09-30-2015 at 01:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhenry2015:
mbell (10-06-2015), Velosprout (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 140 Likes on 83 Posts

The first mistake was allowing anyone who told you something other than what you KNEW, to hang up the phone.

Ask to speak to a supervisor. No satisfaction? Ask to speak to a Manager, etc. They're not allowed to hang up on you (unless you swear or get abusive), so keep going up the chain until you get satisfaction. NEVER hang up with any callcenter agent until you're satisfied.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by StevieP65
The first mistake was allowing anyone who told you something other than what you KNEW, to hang up the phone.

Ask to speak to a supervisor. No satisfaction? Ask to speak to a Manager, etc. They're not allowed to hang up on you (unless you swear or get abusive), so keep going up the chain until you get satisfaction. NEVER hang up with any callcenter agent until you're satisfied.
When I told her I wanted to speak to a supervisor I was told she would escalate the case and I would hear back from someone in 7 to 10 days! Meantime, I am still without my service and still without a resolution!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please let us know the outcome! Ours is on order and hope to not go through that!!
Old 09-29-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

*** correction on transferring lifetime to a new radio. If you purchased your Lifetime subscription

Before June 20, 2005:*Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007:*Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*On or after September 8, 2007:*Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.** Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective.

Once a lifetime subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play radio is transferred to a radio installed by an automaker or dealer, the subscription becomes non-transferable.*Otherwise, Lifetime subscriptions associated with a home, portable or dock & play radio can be transferred a maximum of three times, for a fee.*

On my old 2014 F150, I paid something like $20 for a year to get the show times, sports scores and weather. So if worst case happens, at least it's a cheap (ish) fix.
You need to bargain with these people. (XM)
BTW, call your dealership, find out the owners name and ask to speak to them. Be polite and keep a calm voice and normally they will connect you with the correct person. Salesman don't have much power.

Last edited by wishiwas; 09-30-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

Yea the dealership, salesman, and service dept are always clueless on anything about these trucks. I disconnected my Sirius antenna completely not interested in anything they offer free or not...
Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

5 yr Tavel Link membership w/ Navi?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by wishiwas
I'm not trying to be mean spirited by saying this, because I can appreciate the predicament your in, but you were lucky XM allowed you to transfer a lifetime subscription to a different radio other than the one you paid for it on.
They don't normally do that.
Actually, I have had my lifetime subscription for over 10 years now and it does allow for 3 transfers. This is my first transfer.

Last edited by jhenry2015; 09-30-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman 21
5 yr Tavel Link membership w/ Navi?
That is correct.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default can be another dealership wrong?

I was told the same thing 5yr nav & travel link

Quick Reply: Sirius radio and Travel Link trouble! - A word of warning!