Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping your New F-150 by Rail.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Platinum R.R.

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Shipping your New F-150 by Rail.

I've owned a bunch or New Cars & Trucks over the years.

Caution,
There is a thing called Rail Dust.
When your Vehicle is shipped by rail, the small particles of the Rail cars brakes go flying in the air. Your Paint is new & subject to fine metal particles.flying through the air. This is not as bad as it was in previous years.
For those living in the Eastern part of the Country you have probably seen Vehicles with Spotted Rust on the Doors, Truck sides etc. We don't have that here.
Your Climate is more humid than ours in Colorado & West. They use very little, if any Salt here.
My 2014 Lariat, White Platinum Metallic T.C., had No Rail Dust on it. I took it to my Local car Wash & we both did the test feel. On a Clean Vehicle place your hands on the the Truck Body sides Etc. & feel for anything that makes your Vehicles paint feel a little rough. New Vehicle paint should be smooth.
My Red 2007 FX-4, 2012 FX-4 Tuxedo Black & my 2013 Mineral Gray Edge had Rail Dust.
Easy to get rid of. Have someone who knows what they are doing & it Buffs out. Don't use someone who thinks they know what they are doing.
This information was new to me several years ago & I thought they wanted to sell me a wax Job. I didn't believe him until I ran my hand down the Paint.
I only can explain what my experiences have been.
Again, this doesn't represent Union or Management.
I hope this may help keep your New F-150 looking Nice for a longer period of time.
Happy Thanksgiving to all our f-150 members, Families, friends & those who will be missed.
Thank you All
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Good info, but buffing alone will not remove it. The paint will need to be clayed and treating it with Iron-X before claying will be the best way to go. Also, to test for contaminants on the paint, place your hand inside of a sandwich bag then rub it across the surface. The plastic will 'magnify' the embedded particles and let you know what needs to be done.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by countrysquire
Good info, but buffing alone will not remove it. The paint will need to be clayed and treating it with Iron-X before claying will be the best way to go. Also, to test for contaminants on the paint, place your hand inside of a sandwich bag then rub it across the surface. The plastic will 'magnify' the embedded particles and let you know what needs to be done.
X2
Old 11-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

and rail dust most of the time comes from the vehicles own brakes not trains like the name implies
Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Not to mention all the graffiti you see spray painted on rail cars. I'm sure some of that airborne paint lands on the vehicles parked inside since the sides of the rail cars are perforated steel
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL
Not to mention all the graffiti you see spray painted on rail cars. I'm sure some of that airborne paint lands on the vehicles parked inside since the sides of the rail cars are perforated steel
I have been saying this for years!!!

There is no way to keep that paint from going inside of the rail car!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

all new cars should be wrapped like Audi wraps their new cars.
The following users liked this post:
OMAC (11-29-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

At least I haven't heard about people shooting the cars like they do airplanes being shipped to Washington. Lol. Always nice to see a picture of a plane you worked on.......with 12 ga. holes down the side.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Platinum R.R.

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Never thought of the plastic Bag.
You are correct, they use the Clay. I didn't ask about the iron-x.
I also thought the Train cars brakes flew the dust around when braking the entire train.. I was only commenting on shipping by rail. I don't want to give out misleading information.
That's all good information to know.
THX
Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Rail dust, atmospheric fallout, contaminants from the factory. Call it what you want. New vehicles do not come delivered with soft uncured paint, yes claying is a very effective way of removing contaminants. But why would my 8 year old truck need a clay treatment twice a year to get the "grit" off and retain that baby soft finish? Get real guys, your "new" truck was painted several months ago

Quick Reply: Shipping your New F-150 by Rail.