Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan Gauge or Ultra Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Scan Gauge or Ultra Gauge

Looking at the two of them the Ultra gauge seems to have more parameters available, looks easier to read, and is cheaper.

How is the refresh rate for either of these for real time logging?

Anyone tried both?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

I use Ultraguage, you can set refresh to as frequent as you want.
I set mine up to display boost, IAT, spark advance, engine temp, engine load.

You can configure the display for 2, 4, 6 items per page with multiple pages.
You can configure alarms as well. Great piece of kit, great price.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ;4515388

When you say you can set the refresh rate. What kind of intervals can it be set?

I would like to have real time readings not delayed like some of the obd2 wireless stuff.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM

I agree with you, on the delay of blue tooth ones.

I can check tonight, But pretty sure it is in increments .1 of a second, so set it as you desire .1 .2 .3 .4. and so on.

I will re-verify this evening, I believe default settings were 1 sec intervals.
If you set it too fast it's hard to read.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Ultra gauge all the way. It has saved me from serious issue SEVERAL times!! Scan gauge can't do a quarter of what the ultra can.
1. I had a new hoses put on and turns out the lower one was put on incorrectly. It was leaking. My ultra gauge instantly caught the temp rise and warned me along with giving me the temp. Truck no advanced warning. I was in heavy traffic and the fast lane. I was able to get over to the slow lane then off the highway before the truck told me a thing. I am grateful.
2. On the highway fast lane... My voltage instantly starts showing battery voltage instead of the 14.... I instantly know my alternator pooped the bed and I have my girl google map the nearest auto zone. Less than 5 miles I get off get the alternator all good . I'm skipping the part where they sold me a broken returned one!!! 😡😡😡. Oh and all fixed before my truck told me jack 🤔🤔
3. Fast lane once again. Start getting severe bucking truck threw a code scan gauge gave it to me I pulled off the next exit and replaced a coil pack (2am) in a Dave and busters parking lot Manchester Connecticut. BRiGHT parking lot. Oh yeah once again no cel till I was long passed where it would have helped.

The failing coil packs have happened several times and the ultra always told me which one. Just not in a saving my butt kind of way. Just #3.
The following users liked this post:
crankinaway (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rexey
Ultra gauge all the way. It has saved me from serious issue SEVERAL times!! Scan gauge can't do a quarter of what the ultra can. 1. I had a new hoses put on and turns out the lower one was put on incorrectly. It was leaking. My ultra gauge instantly caught the temp rise and warned me along with giving me the temp. Truck no advanced warning. I was in heavy traffic and the fast lane. I was able to get over to the slow lane then off the highway before the truck told me a thing. I am grateful. 2. On the highway fast lane... My voltage instantly starts showing battery voltage instead of the 14.... I instantly know my alternator pooped the bed and I have my girl google map the nearest auto zone. Less than 5 miles I get off get the alternator all good . I'm skipping the part where they sold me a broken returned one!!! dde21dde21dde21. Oh and all fixed before my truck told me jack edd14edd14 3. Fast lane once again. Start getting severe bucking truck threw a code scan gauge gave it to me I pulled off the next exit and replaced a coil pack (2am) in a Dave and busters parking lot Manchester Connecticut. BRiGHT parking lot. Oh yeah once again no cel till I was long passed where it would have helped. The failing coil packs have happened several times and the ultra always told me which one. Just not in a saving my butt kind of way. Just #3.
My nephew has the scan gauge. He bought the ultra gauge after comparing it to mine.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:34 PM

Here is a excerpt from the Ultraguage manual for page refresh as promissed

The Rate at which gauges are updated is configurable from 0.3 seconds to 2 seconds.
This setting also affects the rate at which the Heart Beat indicator beats. Lowering the refresh time, increases the heart beat rate and the rate at which gauges are updated. This setting is intended for vehicles with the CAN protocol and is not recommended for KWP and 9141 protocols.
The following users liked this post:
crankinaway (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ;4515388

This ^^^^ remove the lower bolt on the grab handle. Make a strap to attach the Gage to it.easy to see does not block your view.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by volvodoc
This ^^^^ remove the lower bolt on the grab handle. Make a strap to attach the Gage to it.easy to see does not block your view.
Sounds like a good one... Pics?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rexey
Sounds like a good one... Pics?
+1

Quick Reply: Scan Gauge or Ultra Gauge