Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrax Pro MX question

Old 01-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrax Pro MX question

Like most on here, still waiting on delivery of my truck.

I know that bed cover questions are frequently asked, but I have searched the forums and just wanted to get some fresh opinions.

Given garage space, I was forced to go for the SuperCrew 5 1/2 ft bed. I really like the look of the new matte Retrax Pro MX, but I am concerned about the 11 square inches of bedspace that I would be giving up. For those of you that have gone with the Retrax on a 5 1/2 foot bed...any regrets? I will be getting the bed extender.

I am considering the BakFlip as well, given its ease of removal if needed...but it still looks like you may be giving up 7 or so inches of bed length even when it is tilted against the cab window.

My dealer here recommends the Retrax as a better cover at preventing leaks, but the impression I get from posts I have read is that the BakFlips are pretty good at stopping leaks also. Plus, I don't know if he is just trying to sell me on a more expensive option.

Any input, specifically regarding my concerns with the Retrax on a 5 1/2 foot bed, much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same concerns so did some research if my calculation are right if you have the 5.5 bed you would still have 4 ft. 8 inch's of bed and 10.4 inches under the canister. I plan on using my truck for travel more than anything else so the 11x11 has minimal impact to bed space for me.
The following users liked this post:
EERebel (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If space is a concern, you might want to consider Roll n Lock, which claims to have a smaller canister than Retrax.

http://rollnlock.com/wp-content/uplo..._Pages_WEB.pdf
EERebel (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

I still like the roll-x myself-

Of all the covers I have looked at, this strikes me as the least intrusive of bedspace. Plus, I owned a bakflip and when that thing is folded all the way up you cant see out of the back window at all-which I didnt like.

Good luck on your search.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gerrard155:
Brynjar (01-11-2016), EERebel (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 104 Likes on 54 Posts

I debated between the two as well, and went with the bakflip due to the fact the retrax can make noise at highway speeds. The bakflip so far has been perfect for me, along with being 100% waterproof & silent.
EERebel (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daaaaaan
I debated between the two as well, and went with the bakflip due to the fact the retrax can make noise at highway speeds. The bakflip so far has been perfect for me, along with being 100% waterproof & silent.
So, what kind of noise did the Retrax make? whistling? Rattling? I had not heard this complaint before.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by daaaaaan
Which Bakflip model did you go with? I have been looking at the Bak RollX cover.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 104 Likes on 54 Posts

I went with the F1, and I read that the retrax can rattle (think about it, there's a lot of metal slats that can move/wear away over time.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see my retrax rattle a little bit but never really hear it. If I'm on the highway I put the windows up and can't hear it. If I'm in town with the windows down I dont hear the rattle above the wind noise either. Like my retrax but think I would consider the peragon because it doesn't take any space.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EERebel
Like most on here, still waiting on delivery of my truck.

I know that bed cover questions are frequently asked, but I have searched the forums and just wanted to get some fresh opinions.

Given garage space, I was forced to go for the SuperCrew 5 1/2 ft bed. I really like the look of the new matte Retrax Pro MX, but I am concerned about the 11 square inches of bedspace that I would be giving up. For those of you that have gone with the Retrax on a 5 1/2 foot bed...any regrets? I will be getting the bed extender.

I am considering the BakFlip as well, given its ease of removal if needed...but it still looks like you may be giving up 7 or so inches of bed length even when it is tilted against the cab window.

My dealer here recommends the Retrax as a better cover at preventing leaks, but the impression I get from posts I have read is that the BakFlips are pretty good at stopping leaks also. Plus, I don't know if he is just trying to sell me on a more expensive option.

Any input, specifically regarding my concerns with the Retrax on a 5 1/2 foot bed, much appreciated.
Was chatting with a guy at the gas station who was checking out my new truck. I noticed he had a retrax and i asked him how he liked it? He said he hated it and it leaked like crazy. Take it for whats its worth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrax Pro MX question