Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rented an Eco for a week...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Rented an Eco for a week...

I am in Washington this week and rented an F150 with the 3.5 Eco. The things I know-

Crew Cab Short Bed 300A XLT 4x4
3.5L Ecoboost

I dont know what the axle ratio is for this truck. Some observations when compared to my personal 502A Lariat 5.0-

1.) Good power. This is the first time I have had more than 15-20 mins (test drive) with the ecoboost and have enjoyed it.
2.) The drop in bedliner is pathetic-I dont know how you guys who have this actually stand it. Have to open holes to access the tie down points .
3.) Keyless entry and automatic running boards have destroyed my ability to use "normal" vehicles. I am constantly stepping for a board that isnt there and have on at least 3 different occasions put my hand on the handle and wondered "why isnt the truck unlocking?"
4.) This is the first truck I have driven in about 7 years without sensors or a camera-reminding me why I make sure my trucks have those things.

It has been an interesting comparison to drive a more basic F150 with the other major powertrain. I have to remind myself that when compared to my first new truck (2005 dakota), this thing would be considered loaded. All in all I have enjoyed it.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

The drop in liners, they're hard on the knees, and I've seen a couple on the highway's down here. But if your leasing, they're inexpensive bed protection, especially since the bed won't rust.

The power running boards, had a friend a few years back had those and they kept busting the hell out of my legs, then used a loaner with them, had to pay attention. Then in 2014 I bought a Platinum which had them, a quick learner, really like them better than the fixed boards. A plus, for those of us that need a lower step, they offer that feature, for the old guys, especially on a lifted truck.

And the boost, well there no denying that's a great Ford marketing feature that hooks the buyers, and reels them in. It's a tough decision for some, but either way, you're getting a good engine.

But when I bought I went for engine simplicity, anticipated long term reliability and I like the exhaust sound of the 5.0 V8 on the new trucks.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AbitaPro
The drop in liners, they're hard on the knees, and I've seen a couple on the highway's down here. But if your leasing, they're inexpensive bed protection, especially since the bed won't rust.
I personally like the drop in bed liners. I have the Ford OEM in my 2015 and used them before in other trucks. I tried the spray-in liners on my 2013 and did not like it, but then I do use my truck bed a lot and in my experience the bed just gets dented faster and easier with the spray-in ones.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:58 AM

Another thought I forgot to add above-23 gallon tank on the rental as compared to the 36 on my truck. Driving me insane having to stop for gas so frequently....
Old 11-26-2015, 01:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rellikcro
I personally like the drop in bed liners. I have the Ford OEM in my 2015 and used them before in other trucks. I tried the spray-in liners on my 2013 and did not like it, but then I do use my truck bed a lot and in my experience the bed just gets dented faster and easier with the spray-in ones.

Thank you. I've always thought this as well. If you're loading furniture, dirt, rock, whatever, the drop in is a better liner. It seems like it protects better against dents, is easier to clean. Its easier to slide things around if you need to.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Semantics
Thank you. I've always thought this as well. If you're loading furniture, dirt, rock, whatever, the drop in is a better liner. It seems like it protects better against dents, is easier to clean. Its easier to slide things around if you need to.
I can understand the sliding piece-but how does a plastic liner prevent dents ?
Old 11-26-2015, 02:32 AM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,058 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerrard155
I think because its a harder plastic. I had the dealership include one as part of the deal when I bought my truck(they were $150 higher than the next best offer but had the truck I wanted) and I am overall okay with it. If I had to do it again I would have tried harder for a spray liner over the drop in. My only real complaint about the Ford one is the covers for the tie downs and the bed lights. Its good protection but hard to re-attach the tie down covers. I wouldn't be happy if I had "paid" for it but as part of the deal for buying the truck I'm satisfied.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Rental most likely had 3.15-3.31 gears tops.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gerrard155
In my experience the plastic takes the brunt of the force and breaks/cracks while protecting the bed. I use my bed for what trucks were originally meant to be used for. I haul bricks, blocks, wood, metal, etc all the time.

Everyone has their own likes, if spray-in is what you like the most then it will be what you will be most happy with. After my experience with it I will never use it again personally.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by gatorblue92
I think because its a harder plastic. I had the dealership include one as part of the deal when I bought my truck(they were $150 higher than the next best offer but had the truck I wanted) and I am overall okay with it. If I had to do it again I would have tried harder for a spray liner over the drop in. My only real complaint about the Ford one is the covers for the tie downs and the bed lights. Its good protection but hard to re-attach the tie down covers. I wouldn't be happy if I had "paid" for it but as part of the deal for buying the truck I'm satisfied.
You sure you got the factory Ford one? It has the Oval Ford near the cab? My tie downs are easily accessible and conveniently have rubber covers when I do not need them and my lights (If I had them, XL does not come with them standard) have cut outs for them in the bed liner.

Quick Reply: Rented an Eco for a week...