Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote ham radio install

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote ham radio install

Hey all,

Maybe someone else might find this useful in the future.

Got my Yaesu FT8800 remote head mounted above my mirror in my '15 screw. I used a scope ring with a little rubber cushions around the mirror post. Then used a long rifle rail and connected to a pro fit panel, then to the back plate.

The radio itself is under the back seat. Cut up some 1.5" AL strips, bolted them together, and drilled a hole in it, and grabbed a 12.5MM nut and put it on top. Also put my rigrunner on there.

For cables, cat5 w 6 conductor phone jacks run in the awesome cable tray under the sillplates, alone the A piller (Suprise airbag under there kids!) then slid up under the liner. Pulling the center headliner stack out makes it easy.
Mic is from the center headliner stack, down the A piller then along the underside of the dash to the dash center stack.

Like I said, hopefully someone will find it useful in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Remote ham radio install-img_4109.jpg   Remote ham radio install-img_4111.jpg   Remote ham radio install-img_4112.jpg   Remote ham radio install-img_4113.jpg   Remote ham radio install-img_4048.jpg  

Remote ham radio install-img_4049.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JumpinJiminy (09-02-2018)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

How and where did you mount your antenna?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maltpj
How and where did you mount your antenna?
Well.. That's not completely done yet. I have a comet rs720 I have test fit on the rear door at the top. It is problematic because of height of garage @ work, etc.

I am leaning towards a Breedlove model #024 style mount.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWESOME!!! I have a 2011 SCAB and have considered how I want to install a radio. I will most likely use several of your ideas. I absolutely love the scope ring mount, that was genius! can you post a pic of how you have the mic mounted and can you explain how you have the power run? Is it through the silltray and through the firewall or did you route it differently?

As for the antenna, I know the '15 is different because of the aluminum body, but I am contemplating just pulling the trigger on a roof mount or two. I will have potentially 3 radios requiring antennas. trick is to figure out how I want to approach those. I have seen MANY great ideas some less invasive than others... Breedlove model 50 (NMO) or 107 (UHF) are the 2 I am leaning towards as non roof drilling options.

It'll be a few weeks before I can start working on the install, I am moving this weekend then out of town for 10 days.....

Thanks!!

Adam
KG4WWH
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Awesome idea! I like that it seems to be at least mostly out of the sunlight. I don't think my radio would fit there, though... the screen is too big... I may end up putting it down by my knee where my brake controller currently is. I want to move that to the other side of the wheel anyway.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

One thing - I see your fuse box but I don't see how the radio gets its power. How is that routed to the radio? Did you steal power from the seat motor?
Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went looking for parts this weekend for this project. Would you provide details on the scope ring and rail? I'm seeing different size rings, with different rise heights and the rails come in many different lengths. What did you use for the rubber cushion?

I still haven't decided on antenna style yet, I currently have a mount similar to a Diamond K400, that will attach to the door, and will probably use that for the time being.

Thanks again!!

Adam
Old 09-02-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Any updates?

I'm looking at something like this aliso, love the scope mount idea. Did you ever figure out where to mount your antenna?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice install. Several clever ideas in here. I always love these kinds of threads. Working on posting one of my own over on radio reference concerning installing 3 radios in a 2018 screw. I always drill the roof and use NMO mounts for antennas, but I realize not everyone is down with that. If you park in a garage and hit the overhead, you can try a Stico flexible whip that bends over sideways without damage. I used to do this on VHF when I parked underground. Now I'm in a barn so no worries about overhead.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had my radio mounted by a local commercial radio shop (Kenwood dealer) - 150 bucks and a professional job. They found this solution with the hood/trunk edge mount (easy to find) I brought them. It gets out well, and as you see, puts the antenna tip lower than the stock AM/FM antenna. It works well, once you get used to seeing it there through the windshield.

Ham Antenna mount - close up

Ham Antenna mount - shows height

Quick Reply: Remote ham radio install