Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about axle options

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Question about axle options

Hi, I'm looking to spec a '16 F150 Supercrew, 145" 4 x 4, with 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. Will get the trailer tow package, as a just in case I ever need it (probably rare I will ever need to tow anything near the weight capacity), as it isn't too expensive.
My question concerns which axle ratio to choose, along with non-limited-slip diff. or electronic-locking. My driving preference is I like torque, not concerned about gas mileage, want good traction in bad weather. I'm not likely to use the bed of truck often with heavy items, and not likely to often tow something.
I will appreciate someone educating me on this. Thanks.
John
Old 08-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 194 Likes on 118 Posts

Well the torque on the 3.5 comes in early. Even with the 3.31's it will move. If you go with the FX4 package or the Max Tow package you get 3.55's which will give you more off the line or pulling a load. The FX4 comes with hill decent control, skid plates, "tuned shocks" and a bed decal in addition to the lower gears. Max Tow gets you oil coolers, trailer brake controls, and an upgraded rear bumper in addition to the lower gears. Pick a package that had more useful options to you or get both or don't get either and just upgrade the gears (not sure if it's a separate option). Whatever choice you make go with the electric locker. It's very nice to have when you need it and doesn't effect drivability when you don't.

Last edited by 13.; 08-30-2015 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jphass (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will give you my 2 cents! I ordered my truck in December and had it since Feb! I got the 3.5, toe pkg and 3.31 axle. I came from a 2013 fx4 with a 3.55 EL axle 3.5EB, it took 6 months to get use to the new axle, I don't miss the locking function because it it was just a toy. Besides for off-road it was not any use. The 3.55 was so much more responsive. Now I don't know which I would pick because I am getting over 17 mpg were I used to get 15, I hope the axle is helping that.
jphass (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

The 3.73 will get you better towing but less gas mileage. 3.31 will get you better gas mileage but less towing capabilities. 3.55 is kinda the midpoint between towing capabilities and gas mileage. If you're not going to tow much and nothing heavy, go with the 3.55. i have it, combined with the 3.5eb and love it. It's kinda the best of both worlds. And then put it in sport mode and you will have the acceleration you need!!!!!

As far as the e-locker, I say it's a must. Especially if you say you want good traction in bad weather. If you get stuck with one tire on ice, you'll be happy. Much better to have it and not need it. And it's not like it's a bank breaking option. It probably will help with trade in/resale value down the road too.

Hope that helps.
jphass (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 04:06 PM

The 3.73 gear set is not available in a 145" Screw.

If you do opt for the locker don't use it in bad weather until you need it. Wet roads and ice are not the locked axles shining conditions. The back will try to pass the front in short order. It's more of a deep mud, snow, sand or wet rock, roots, boat ramp traction aid. You don't want to do too much turning with it engaged. Unless of course donuts are the intended results.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.31 not a limited slip axle

When I was ordering my 2015, I wanted the 3.31 axle, but was told that it is not a limited slip axle, which we need in the Adirondack Mountains. Check this out for yourself if this is important to you. I ended up ordering the 3.55.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 13.

If you do opt for the locker don't use it in bad weather until you need it. Wet roads and ice are not the locked axles shining conditions. The back will try to pass the front in short order. It's more of a deep mud, snow, sand or wet rock, roots, boat ramp traction aid. You don't want to do too much turning with it engaged. Unless of course donuts are the intended results.
So are you saying best to get the electronic locking? Just want to be clear. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 13.

Yes, my bad, the 145" screw does not come in the 3.73. But an e-locker isn't something you turn on. When one rear wheel starts to slip, the differential automatically locks so both wheels turn, allowing you to get traction with the wheel that isn't slipping. Then it unlocks on it's own when you regain traction.

jphass, yes, get the e-locker.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by jphass
So are you saying best to get the electronic locking? Just want to be clear. Thanks!
Yes. But its not needed in all situations which is why its nice that it's electric.

If you have no experience with a locked or posi rear end you should go to an empty parking lot in the rain or a grassy/muddy field and see how the truck handles turns with the locker on or off this way you're not surprised by it.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Got the 3.73 gearing with the 3.5EB have no problems at all and still hitting 21-23 mpg if I just drive highways. Have not taken it off road or anything but in the rain have absolutely no problems.

Quick Reply: Question about axle options