Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Productivity screen keeps defaulting to towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 AM
s_vares

Received 430 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Productivity screen keeps defaulting to towing

Hi,

I might just be doing something stupid, or maybe its a software glitch, but my productivity screen will go back to the towing screen every time I shut the truck off and turn it back on.

It only started this weekend after I towed with it for the first time and set up a new trailer.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-04-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Same issue!

I have the same problem, except it started when I picked it up from the dealer new....assuming they played with the trailer feature before I got it. It also shows "accumulated miles" and I'm not sure how they're accumulating because I haven't pulled anything yet but they keep going up.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 AM
s_vares

Originally Posted by jslitzker
I have the same problem, except it started when I picked it up from the dealer new....assuming they played with the trailer feature before I got it. It also shows "accumulated miles" and I'm not sure how they're accumulating because I haven't pulled anything yet but they keep going up.
They must have had something plugged in because the trailer screen shouldn't accumulate miles unless it senses a trailer and you select one.

Im gonna be a bit grumpy if it does this every time I plug a trailer in. Im very particular about my productivity screen.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This happened to me last year. Look inside your trailer plug. It might be full of gunk and moisture. I rarely use my trailer plug at all, so when the message popped up, I was like WTF? They are notorious for filling up with dust, which turns into mud and will short across the connections. Not a major short, but just enough to trigger the electronics into thinking you have a trailer on.

I now check mine every time I wash the truck. Spray it out real good, and blow the water from the plug when drying. About once a month, I make sure I wipe it out good and apply a little dielectric grease to all the little prongs in there. Haven't had a repeat since.

Good luck!!!
The following users liked this post:
PD16Lariat (10-11-2018)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 AM
s_vares

I did look. Truck only has 3000kms on it and is a month old (2016)

Its still filled with dielectric grease
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Try this

Originally Posted by s_vares
Hi,

I might just be doing something stupid, or maybe its a software glitch, but my productivity screen will go back to the towing screen every time I shut the truck off and turn it back on.

It only started this weekend after I towed with it for the first time and set up a new trailer.

Thanks for the input
I'm nowhere near my truck to retest this, but mine was doing the same thing after having hooked up a trailer.

Go into the towing mode screen, and under select trailer, or trailer option (forgive me if that's the wrong label) make sure "no trailer" is selected instead of trailer "x" or default trailer.

I was playing around in the towing menu, and unless you tell it "no trailer" I guess it still assumes you might put one on.
The following 6 users liked this post by Dwa50:
2016 FX4x4 (03-09-2017), Dan Church (06-19-2018), Dburks40 (03-21-2022), lomax (10-28-2018), PD16Lariat (10-11-2018), Prince Eugene (07-09-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:54 AM
s_vares

Originally Posted by Dwa50
I'm nowhere near my truck to retest this, but mine was doing the same thing after having hooked up a trailer.

Go into the towing mode screen, and under select trailer, or trailer option (forgive me if that's the wrong label) make sure "no trailer" is selected instead of trailer "x" or default trailer.

I was playing around in the towing menu, and unless you tell it "no trailer" I guess it still assumes you might put one on.
Nailed It!

Thanks, it was making me crazy, you must select no trailer connected. (ever annoying)

Thanks!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by s_vares:
Dburks40 (03-21-2022), Prince Eugene (07-09-2018)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dwa50

Awesome! Thank you both. I'm not near the truck right now but sounds like that will solve both of my issues too.
The following users liked this post:
Prince Eugene (07-09-2018)
Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah I noticed this as well.
It should automatically disconnect the trailer you were using after unplugging it.

Hopefully there's a fix for this
Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 AM
s_vares

Originally Posted by cameronskidoo
Yeah I noticed this as well.
It should automatically disconnect the trailer you were using after unplugging it.

Hopefully there's a fix for this
I agree. Very annoying, my 2011 didnt do that

Quick Reply: Productivity screen keeps defaulting to towing