Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3

Hi Guys,

Just got my first F-150 (and first truck) back in July. Love the truck so far and really like the ProClip iPhone mount. However, I hated having the cord pinched in the USB slider drawer.

I took some inspiration from this thread:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/charg...5/#post4863382
and came up with a solution.

First, I followed the steps in the thread above to get the USB routed out of the drawer. Then I took apart the stereo head unit housing, following this video for disassembly:

I was then able to run the USB from out of the drawer, behind the head unit and up through the dash storage tray. I drilled a hole and put a grommet through the actual tray, as well as the plastic pad.

Now I have a much more clean look without wires running down into that small drawer.

Thanks for all of the info so far - I hope this can help someone else who has a similar issue.
Attached Thumbnails ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3-img_0764.jpg   ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3-img_0765.jpg   ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3-img_0767.jpg   ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3-img_0768.jpg   ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3-img_0769.jpg  

ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3-img_0771.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
acdcbean (06-15-2022)
Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ssharkey8
Hi Guys,

Just got my first F-150 (and first truck) back in July. Love the truck so far and really like the ProClip iPhone mount. However, I hated having the cord pinched in the USB slider drawer.

I took some inspiration from this thread:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/charg...5/#post4863382
and came up with a solution.

First, I followed the steps in the thread above to get the USB routed out of the drawer. Then I took apart the stereo head unit housing, following this video for disassembly: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JX6w339v38

I was then able to run the USB from out of the drawer, behind the head unit and up through the dash storage tray. I drilled a hole and put a grommet through the actual tray, as well as the plastic pad.

Now I have a much more clean look without wires running down into that small drawer.

Thanks for all of the info so far - I hope this can help someone else who has a similar issue.
Looks great! Nice and clean.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I’m trying to do the same thing. Also sent you a PM.

Where did you start the vertical run? Did you just drill 3 holes total (side of cubby, dash tray, and tray liner)? Or did you have to drill another somewhere to start the path upwards?

Also, what kind of phone holder is that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2019, 06:49 PM

Just sent you a PM. Don't remember the exact path at this point. But you remove the screen/controls and you'll find a path.

Mount is a ProClip. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Buy the universal, expandable Proclip - that way when you change phones all you do is adjust the size. I do wish Proclip had a good wireless charging holder.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:26 AM

Received 1,603 Likes on 904 Posts

Instead of robbing one of your existing USB ports, why not just run the cable up to the top of the radio head unit (under the speaker grill/dash)? It's been a long time since I did this with my '15 F150, but you can plug one end of a USB cable directly into the head unit. I used that and ran the cable into the glove box in front of the passenger seat, but you can run it anywhere else as long as it's long enough.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by roadPilot
Instead of robbing one of your existing USB ports, why not just run the cable up to the top of the radio head unit (under the speaker grill/dash)? It's been a long time since I did this with my '15 F150, but you can plug one end of a USB cable directly into the head unit. I used that and ran the cable into the glove box in front of the passenger seat, but you can run it anywhere else as long as it's long enough.
I needed Apple CarPlay to work. It didn't come out until 2017 models. I had to swap the USB hub to one that worked with CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
roadPilot (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 01:34 PM
I lay my crown b4 HIM

Received 156 Likes on 69 Posts

Where did you find the appropriately sized grommet?

Edit: Of course, once I ask the question I find them with ease. When I was looking the other day, I could not find anything less than 1" in diameter.

Last edited by KingBeef; 06-15-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: ProClip USB Cord Route Behind Sync 3