Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Running Board

Old 09-22-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Running Board

Hello!

I'm currently deciding between a Lariat and a Platinum. One of the things holding me up from a platinum is the power running boards. I live on a country road that can get muddy pretty easily. How much resistance is there when the boards are obstructed. I don't want to get the power running boards and have the motor burn out because of dried mud/ice fighting against it.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I am in the same situation. There is a setting on the display where you can lock them in either the up or down position. I am planning on locking them in the up position in the winter and also installed mud gaurds to try and keep as much junk out of the motors as i can.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I wish Ford would do like they do in Canada and off the power running boards as an individual option in the upper packages of the King Ranch - I haven't looked at how they do the Platinum. I have absolutely no desire for them (for the reasons stated in the previous posts) in addition to they come down too close to the ground - I might as well not have a step. I'm about to order a King Ranch and am going for the 600 package so I can get the standard running boards - though I wouldn't mind having the other pieces of the 601 package...

Another strike against them: I was changing the wiper blades on my Escalade with power running boards while standing on my little one step stool a few weeks ago. Someone opened the back door of the truck. The next thing I know I've got a running board clamped down on my toes on the stool...

I know some people love them and couldn't do without them, I have no use in them...

Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 367 Likes on 283 Posts

I personalty prefer the real amp research running boards that I put on my self. After seeing some f the post on the boards corroding and looking under a truck in the show room the arms are different from ford. They just don't look at beefy as Amps's Just my opinion.

Also the Amp Research power boards come with little LED's and it just add's that little extra touch at night.

I got my from Stage 3 for 1050 and install myself.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my power running boards. I have had an 04 and an 08 KR with factory fixed boards and i like the placement of the power boards better. They are a little lower and stick out a little further than the fixed boards and are in a more "user friendly" position in my opinion. Also when they are tucked in they give the truck a cleaner look. I don't have to deal with mud or snow so the motor concern is not an issue for me.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife has them on her Navigator and I also have them on the platinum. I like them a lot. That being said both on the Navigator have been replaced once so far. Its a 2008. The motors were not cheap either. I think around 1200 each in parts. One was replaced on warranty. One was replaced by me. Easy to replace.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracernc
My wife has them on her Navigator and I also have them on the platinum. I like them a lot. That being said both on the Navigator have been replaced once so far. Its a 2008. The motors were not cheap either. I think around 1200 each in parts. One was replaced on warranty. One was replaced by me. Easy to replace.
I'm adding another mark against them now...
Old 09-22-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gkfrancke
How much resistance is there when the boards are obstructed.
Not a lot. They have a built-in safety feature to keep the humans from hurting themselves. I've already once accidentally put my foot in the way and it barely squeezed on my shoe before bouncing back.

Given that the power running boards are kinda seen as a luxury feature, they probably don't put a lot of thought into how they will do with off-roading and heavy dirt. Especially when on the Platinum model (I have them on my Lariat).

I would assuming turning them off would help keep the bigger dirt and crap out of them, so if you plan to do some muck you can switch them off.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 367 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracernc
Another reason to get the real Amp Research Power Boards and install yourself. Parts are easy to get and cheap if you need them.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Just bought the amp boards... Just need to find time to install them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Running Board