Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible IWE failure???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Strange Noise from Drivers side Front

I have a 2015 F150 Lariat FX4: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/black...lariat-293424/ with roughly 200 miles on it.

I have an intermittent rotational grinding/catching sound from the front driver side wheel area. I am familiar with the rubbing sound of tires, this is not that sound. It is more of a mechanical intermittent catching sound. Ha, if that makes any sense. But just to be safe I had my wheel/suspension guys give it a once over and from a wheel/suspension stand point everything checked out fine. I then went to my Ford dealer and the service manager took a ride with me for 20 minutes and wouldn't you know it, no sound. He said intermittent stuff is tough, and when it starts doing it again bring it by so he could hear it.

In the mean time I did some research and have read a lot about the vacuum solenoid for engaging the front four wheel drive (IWE) having issues in earlier models. The sound happened tonight while taking the family to dinner, so while it was happening I switched it to 4A. The sound stopped. Which leads me to believe it is related to the vacuum issue.

I would think Ford would have had this corrected by now. Any suggestions on what this might be. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by socal805; 03-14-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 AM

Has anyone else on here with a 2015 had a similar sound or problem?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by socal805
Has anyone else on here with a 2015 had a similar sound or problem?
Not with mine yet.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 140 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Dontech
Not with mine yet.

Me neither. 1600 trouble-free miles.

Is there a tsb? Perhaps print the articles you did find & show them to the service manager. Maybe a simple part swap.

Edit: You got me curious, so I went searching. Some good info here for those interested in how our 4wd "system" works:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html

Last edited by StevieP65; 03-14-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:50 PM

Couldn't find a TSB but am taking it in this week and going to ask them to give the vacuum system a once over. The frustrating part is it will go several days with no noise and then it will intermittently happen multiple times.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

I have a 2015 F150 Lariat FX4: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/black...lariat-293424/ with roughly 200 miles on it.

I have an intermittent rotational grinding/catching sound from the front driver side wheel area. I am familiar with the rubbing sound of tires, this is not that sound. It is more of a mechanical intermittent catching sound. Ha, if that makes any sense. But just to be safe I had my wheel/suspension guys give it a once over and from a wheel/suspension stand point everything checked out fine. I then went to my Ford dealer and the service manager took a ride with me for 20 minutes and wouldn't you know it, no sound. He said intermittent stuff is tough, and when it starts doing it again bring it by so he could hear it.

In the mean time I did some research and have read a lot about the vacuum solenoid for engaging the front four wheel drive (IWE) having issues in earlier models. The sound happened tonight while taking the family to dinner, so while it was happening I switched it to 4A. The sound stopped. Which leads me to believe it is related to the vacuum issue.

I would think Ford would have had this corrected by now. Any suggestions on what this might be. Thanks in advance.
Couldn't find a TSB but am taking it in this week and going to ask them to give the vacuum system a once over. The frustrating part is it will go several days with no noise and then it will intermittently happen multiple times.
Thanks for posting about this, social805. I'll send a case up to your regional customer service manager for further assistance. Please send over a private message with your full name, VIN, servicing dealership, and best daytime contact number.

Brittany
The following users liked this post:
grantbalint (12-12-2017)
Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 AM

PM Sent

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to say "yes" I am having the very same problem. I was able however, to have it happen with the Service Manager in the truck. He recognized the sound and switched it into 4H and it stopped. It happened again and they replaced the front driver side hub saying it was defective. The truck is doing it again and headed back to the dealer tomorrow morning. Problem has happened multiple times after freeway driving at 70 mph and then slowing to 55, and on uphill climbs when the motor starts to lug a little bit before shifting to a lower gear. I will report back on what they decide the issue is this time...
Old 03-17-2015, 05:30 PM

Default Not impressive

Well, just got my truck back after scheduling an appointment for the dealership to take a look at this intermittent front end noise. While I understand intermittent noise diagnosis is difficult. I felt leaving the place like these guys think I am making this up and that I don't have better things to do then rearrange my day to get your truck into service.

The concern I have is when it does make this sound, is that it is not a little clatter sound. It is the sound of damaging, rotational, mechanical grinding and catching. In other words something is getting damaged. My fear is safety. While I was taking it to the dealer it did this sound at 70mph and it is not the safest feeling when this happens.

Below is the work done that was handed to me with the service advisor saying I called Ford and they said if we can't reproduce the noise there is nothing we can do. Even the description he wrote regarding my explanation of problem/sound was not that accurate and I mentioned it to him at time of check in. He said his guy will understand and know what to check. When I saw the explanation of what the mechanic did I mentioned there is nothing about testing the vacuum pressure. He said that "inspecting front hubs" covered that. Just feels like they didn't really try.

I will take it to the other Ford dealer in my area next time and hope for better.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ford's handling of intermittent issues is really frustrating. My '11 has done this for about 60,000 miles. Never when its with the dealer. Imagine if a doctor treated patients this way. Sometimes a differential diagnosis and attempted repair based on hypothesis should be warranted.

Quick Reply: Possible IWE failure???