Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to install limited slip to my 4x4 3.5EB XL with open diff?

Old 09-05-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Possible to install limited slip to my 4x4 3.5EB XL with open diff?

As stated in the title.

I did some searching and I've yet to find the answer to this. Much to my chagrin my F150 didn't come with the Elocker option. So I was wondering is there any reason a limited slip diff wouldn't work? I would only do the rear at first.

This one for example:
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/G-2...ferential.html

It's listed for the 2011-2014 F150 equipped with the 9.75" and 34 spline axles.

Any reason to think it wouldn't work for the 2015+? I emailed stage3 a while back but I've yet to get a response so I figured it would be prudent to check here.

I also like the idea of it almost being an automatic feature, the Elocker is great but it's either on or off right? So either switched off and fully open or it's on and fully locked? I feel like this might be the best of both worlds.

I'm no expert on transmission and drivetrain components so if I've exhibited any faulty logic by all means let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-05-2015, 03:45 AM

Received 3,928 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Gorilla978
This one for example:

If that one fits... I'd spend a little more $ and get a Truetrac. There are no clutches to wear out. I replaced the open diff./E-locker on my 2011 and my 2014 with a Truetrac.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/913A477-Detroit-Truetrac-Limited-Slip-Ford-9-75-F150-/181833151369?hash=item2a5619b389&vxp=mtr
Old 09-05-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Possible to install limited slip to my 4x4 3.5EB XL with open diff?

Originally Posted by Gorilla978
As stated in the title.

I did some searching and I've yet to find the answer to this. Much to my chagrin my F150 didn't come with the Elocker option. So I was wondering is there any reason a limited slip diff wouldn't work? I would only do the rear at first.

This one for example:

Any reason to think it wouldn't work for the 2015+? I emailed stage3 a while back but I've yet to get a response so I figured it would be prudent to check here.

I also like the idea of it almost being an automatic feature, the Elocker is great but it's either on or off right? So either switched off and fully open or it's on and fully locked? I feel like this might be the best of both worlds.

I'm no expert on transmission and drivetrain components so if I've exhibited any faulty logic by all means let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
I love having the elocker but it is on or off, my old truck has the gov lock which is know for grenading when it locks up on dry pavement so I like being able to lock it myself which makes it more predictable. With it off it seems like the traction control uses the brakes to make it act like a limited slip switching from one side to the other

And from what I have heard the differentials them selfs haven't changed

Last edited by RceRdFX4; 09-05-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There would be no significant advantage to adding a limited slip differential, as RceRdFX4 alluded to the advancetrac system on your F-150 will automatically brake a spinning wheel when it detects a significant difference in RPM (approximately 100 RPM). This gives your open differential something to work against and allows it to apply up to 50% of the torque to the wheel with traction. It can then also modulate torque to that wheel to prevent the wheel that does have traction from slipping. This is why LSD's have largely been phased out of the F-150 lineup. If you plan on doing further modifications to the truck to prepare it for serious off-roading an electronic locking differential would be beneficial as it will allow you to allocate up to 100% of the torque to a single drive wheel.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjollner
There would be no significant advantage to adding a limited slip differential, as RceRdFX4 alluded to the advancetrac system on your F-150 will automatically brake a spinning wheel when it detects a significant difference in RPM (approximately 100 RPM). This gives your open differential something to work against and allows it to apply up to 50% of the torque to the wheel with traction. It can then also modulate torque to that wheel to prevent the wheel that does have traction from slipping. This is why LSD's have largely been phased out of the F-150 lineup. If you plan on doing further modifications to the truck to prepare it for serious off-roading an electronic locking differential would be beneficial as it will allow you to allocate up to 100% of the torque to a single drive wheel.
I thought it only modulated the wheel without the traction preventing things from getting crazy when it finally does get some traction. I didn't realize it could actually send torque to the wheel(s) that actually have traction...

By what method does it do it? If it is a truly open diff then it couldn't. I know I'm getting old when I can no longer keep up with technology.

Thanks all for the help so far.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

elockers are good for what they are good for. 1 wheel in the mush, one on pavement, very slow speed.

a limited slip like the truetrac puts power to both wheels all the time

I found on my 6.7 F350 that the turbo lag was causing it to spin the crap out of the inside tire any time I wanted to accelerate around a corner. I put a truetrac in it and it completely solved the problem.

Wifey's 5.0 F150 is kind of different. Doesn't seem to be wanting to light off that inside tire. Maybe 'cause it's a dog out of the hole and the trans is a slushbox. We want to supercharge and tune the trans. I'm sure this will make the 'open' rear diff a problem and we'll want the truetrac on it too.

IMHO for a street vehicle the truetrac just can't be beat. For offroad it's not so great and you'll probably want something like a detroit locker or even a {shudder} elocker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible to install limited slip to my 4x4 3.5EB XL with open diff?