Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint finish issue???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint finish issue???

So, just picked it up late last night. I notice that on all of my door jamb/sill areas there is a noticeable difference in the paint finish at the bottom of the jambs. Meaning when you open the door and are looking at the areas near the weather stripping is located.

At the top its nice and smooth to the touch, as you get down closer to the bottom it becomes rough to the touch and you can see a difference also. I am going to be highly pissed off if I find out these areas were not properly painted. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Default Paint finish issue???

Every mass produced vehicle has this. There is never any paint at the bottoms of the doors

That being said. Take it in. I've painted numerous bottoms of door jambs under warranty for Ford, Toyota, Chevy, etc.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 09-18-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

I didn't notice that, but under the front of the bedside in front of the tire it looks like they shot some stone coating or something like that under the paint and they left a bunch of it hanging off almost as if they didn't file it back afterward. I plan on fixing it myself eventually, but it's still a pain.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsaluck4
So, just picked it up late last night. I notice that on all of my door jamb/sill areas there is a noticeable difference in the paint finish at the bottom of the jambs. Meaning when you open the door and are looking at the areas near the weather stripping is located.

At the top its nice and smooth to the touch, as you get down closer to the bottom it becomes rough to the touch and you can see a difference also. I am going to be highly pissed off if I find out these areas were not properly painted. Has anyone else had this issue?
Pretty sure it's normal to have that orange peel effect on the lower lower part of the sides. Helps hold up better against road debris.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

If you are talking about the vary bottom seal closest to the ground. I have that also.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighthawk87
Pretty sure it's normal to have that orange peel effect on the lower lower part of the sides. Helps hold up better against road debris.
This. It's a rubberized coating to protect against rock chips.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys, I think someone else may have posted about something he noticed near his tires. I am familiar with the coating used to prevent stones/chips.

What I am referring to is when you open any one of the doors. So where the door rests against the seal from about 1/3 of the way from the bottom and the entire bottom (the inside edges of the door pillars). Looks to me like its missing the clearcoat in this area. The visual as well as the touch is totally different. Both of my previous Ford trucks didn't show this. Ill have to get some pics when I have an opportunity.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey Guys, I think someone else may have posted about something he noticed near his tires. I am familiar with the coating used to prevent stones/chips.

What I am referring to is when you open any one of the doors. So where the door rests against the seal from about 1/3 of the way from the bottom and the entire bottom (the inside edges of the door pillars). Looks to me like its missing the clearcoat in this area. The visual as well as the touch is totally different. Both of my previous Ford trucks didn't show this. Ill have to get some pics when I have an opportunity.
That does not sound normal after your second description.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Is it right? No. But it is normal, as in common across all makes.

Here's a 2014 Toyota Sienna we have at my shop, this is the bottom of the factory door we are replacing
Attached Thumbnails Paint finish issue???-20150918_120255.jpg  
Old 09-18-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jdtemple
This. It's a rubberized coating to protect against rock chips.
Rubberized? That stuff cut the hell out of me when I rubbed up against it not realizing it was there while installing my wheel well liners earlier this week.

Quick Reply: Paint finish issue???