Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordering shortly and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ordering shortly and have some questions

I am very close to ordering an F150 and I have some questions as this is my first pickup truck. This vehicle will serve as a hauler for a family of three, a travel trailer tow vehicle and for carrying band equipment to gigs. I don't have the travel trailer yet, but I suspect will be around 6K GVWR. I work at home, so my commuting needs are minimal. I will be taking this on family vacations.

Here is what I plan to order:

2015 Ford F-150 King Ranch
5-1/2' Box
3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine
4X4
3.55 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio

Packages
601A
Equipment Group 601A Discount
Max Trailer Tow Package
Technology Package, Park Assist & Adaptive Cruise Discount
Technology Package

Exterior
Guard/Caribou
Active Park Assist
Bed Divider
Bedliner - Spray-In
Extended Range Fuel Tank
Twin Panel Moonroof
Wheel Well Liners
Power Trailer Tow Mirrors

Interior
Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision

I am pretty sure that I am going to get a bedrug, a three piece tonneau cover, and aftermarket mats.

Questions:
  1. Should I still order the spray-in liner with the bedrug?
  2. I am still not sure if I should order the 6-1/2' box. I will be keeping the vehicle outside. I live in a fairly congested north-eastern metro area. The local dealers tell me that they never sell a supercrew with 6.5' box. For my needs, what would you recommend?
  3. Some of the financing articles I've read indicate that I better off leasing because of the low annual miles and my plan to replace the vehicles in five years of less. I have not leased a vehicle in over 20 years. I usually like to shop for financing before I purchase the car. Where should I shop for lease deals other than Ford Credit?

I look forward to your responses.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

You can get the spray in liner the add the bed rug...thinking about it myself.

6.5 box all day

Check a credit union for rates...I had my financing setup and when I picked the truck up Citizens Bank matched it so I used them through the dealership.
2013 R1200 GSW in my garage...love that bike. Coming from a Harley..Bimmer is like 4 bikes in one.
Good luck on you're order..
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 124 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by r1200gs
I am very close to ordering an F150 and I have some questions as this is my first pickup truck. This vehicle will serve as a hauler for a family of three, a travel trailer tow vehicle and for carrying band equipment to gigs. I don't have the travel trailer yet, but I suspect will be around 6K GVWR. I work at home, so my commuting needs are minimal. I will be taking this on family vacations.

Here is what I plan to order:

2015 Ford F-150 King Ranch
5-1/2' Box
3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine
4X4
3.55 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio

Packages
601A
Equipment Group 601A Discount
Max Trailer Tow Package
Technology Package, Park Assist & Adaptive Cruise Discount
Technology Package

Exterior
Guard/Caribou
Active Park Assist
Bed Divider
Bedliner - Spray-In
Extended Range Fuel Tank
Twin Panel Moonroof
Wheel Well Liners
Power Trailer Tow Mirrors

Interior
Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision

I am pretty sure that I am going to get a bedrug, a three piece tonneau cover, and aftermarket mats.

Questions:
  1. Should I still order the spray-in liner with the bedrug?
  2. I am still not sure if I should order the 6-1/2' box. I will be keeping the vehicle outside. I live in a fairly congested north-eastern metro area. The local dealers tell me that they never sell a supercrew with 6.5' box. For my needs, what would you recommend?
  3. Some of the financing articles I've read indicate that I better off leasing because of the low annual miles and my plan to replace the vehicles in five years of less. I have not leased a vehicle in over 20 years. I usually like to shop for financing before I purchase the car. Where should I shop for lease deals other than Ford Credit?

I look forward to your responses.
1: no, based on your usage stated above
2: I would not go 6.5 with super crew in a metro area. Parking would suck. Spots are much smaller in metro areas. I'm a Georgia boy that lived in San Fran for 5 years.
3: never leased a vehicle before. However I would think they are specific to your dealer since they own the truck. However I have no idea.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. the drop in liner is easier to clean.
2. 6 1/2 box.
3. If you work for yourself leasing is a better option for righting the truck off for tax purposes.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by osmpl
1. the drop in liner is easier to clean.
2. 6 1/2 box.
3. If you work for yourself leasing is a better option for righting the truck off for tax purposes.
Are you recommending the drop-in liner over the bedrug? I am inclined to purchase the bedrug because I am concerned about the music gear and PA equipment I will be putting back there. If you think something would be better for that, please let me know.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:16 PM

A dealer I visited today suggested that the 6.5' box would hurt the resale value of the vehicle because it becomes a very niche item. Perhaps this is the case with my region. Do you think this is a valid comment?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts

1. Get the spray in liner from the factory if you're leasing. That way you're not paying the full cost (since it's factored into the lease).
2. If you're hauling stuff get the 6.5 foot box, but it'll be a pain in the butt to park in the metro area.
3. Only lease if you're keeping it for 2-3 years. Those are typically your best lease rate terms. 5 years is way to long to lease.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by r1200gs
A dealer I visited today suggested that the 6.5' box would hurt the resale value of the vehicle because it becomes a very niche item. Perhaps this is the case with my region. Do you think this is a valid comment?
I think if anything it would help resale value. Because of it being a niche item.
I never encountered a parking situation where I said to myself..if I only had the 5.5 it would fit. But I am also the guy parked at the end of the lot next to another truck if one is there.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 248 Likes on 156 Posts

Hurt the resale value?

Are you buying the truck for you or the next guy?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bikermike
Hurt the resale value?

Are you buying the truck for you or the next guy?
Good point. I wish I could test drive a truck in this configuration, even if it is not a KR. I just don't think I will have the opportunity.

Last edited by r1200gs; 03-28-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: ordering shortly and have some questions