Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Order Question

I am going to go into a dealer this weekend to talk about ordering a 2015 F150 Lariat. I have gone on ford's web site and built an f150 to my liking. My build came out to be $55k. Since it would be built is that the set price, would the dealer negotiate a lesser price before rebates/incentives? I have never ordered one so i am not really sure what to expect.

I would appreciate any feed back or suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

The price stated on the build site is MSRP...it's only a suggested price (the S in MSRP). There are numerous websites that portray invoice prices. You should be able to negotiate at invoice or less. Few buyers (if any) pay MSRP...many purchase at invoice or less.

Be aware that custom orders for 2015 models are near an end as the MY 2016 approaches.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-26-2015 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stuntman (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
The price stated on the build site is MSRP...it's only a suggested price (the S in MSRP). There are numerous websites that portray invoice prices. You should be able to negotiate at invoice or less. Few buyers (if any) pay MSRP...many purchase at invoice or less.
Can i enter my pacific build in these "websites"?
Can you PM the websites please?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I built my truck, printed out the details and the dealer tried to find one and couldn't. So I ordered, my dealer does invoice pricing so no bs. Only haggling was the trade.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuntman
Can i enter my pacific build in these "websites"?
Can you PM the websites please?
Truecar and Edmunds are two sites that show pretty close to invoice pricing.

You should also be able to go to a dealer with your printout, and they should be able to build it for you and provide the sheet that shows the invoice pricing, plan pricing, etc. If they won't do that then move on, since you are ordering a truck, your only limitation is how far you're willing to go to pick it up!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:39 PM

Alright nice info. I went edmunds and priced it with the same options that i input in the Ford's web site and it cam out to $48,346 at invoice without incentives. Seems like it would be cheaper to order an f150, that is if the dealer would give me invoice price.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:46 PM

Last month, I custom ordered a 2016 Lincoln MKX after 'building' it with the Fleet Manager at the dealership. A draft sales order with invoice pricing was provide to me to review/alter/approve. This is standard procedure over many decades of ordering vehicles. However, with today's online availability and transparency of pricing details (e.g. MSRP, invoice, X-plan, holdback, rebates/incentives, etc.), I had advance knowledge of the build & pricing details long before I approached the dealership. Let Google be your friend...be informed, prepared, and take control of the buying experience. Be aware that your greatest skills will be at closing the deal with the Finance Manager, primarily in evaluating (& perhaps resisting) all the optional offers related to financing, extended maintenance, added options & services, etc. This is the point where the customer can really get price gouged/intimidated and the dealer reaps the greatest profits.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by mustangsrmine
I built my truck, printed out the details and the dealer tried to find one and couldn't. So I ordered, my dealer does invoice pricing so no bs. Only haggling was the trade.
Did u negotiate ur trade at the time u ordered ur truck Or was it ordered then u negotiated?
Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 PM

Did u negotiate ur trade at the time u ordered ur truck Or was it ordered then u negotiated?

The value of your trade may vary depending on condition, market, or dealer's mood. A negotiated trade up-front at the time of ordering would certainly be subject to re-negotiation when the ordered vehicle arrives ~ 2-3 months later...unless the dealer has padded his profit sufficiently to absorb any contingency. Many buyers would likely prefer to leave any mention of a trade out of the negotiations. That way, you have a reasonable fix on precisely what the dealer is charging for the new vehicle compared to MSRP & invoice. If you buy at invoice, for example, you will know the dealer's profit is in the vicinity of the 3% holdback. That's where the dealer will either give up some of his holdback to make a deal including your trade or will pad his profit by offering you less than market for your trade. There's much opportunity for pricing smoke & mirrors when a trade is involved. Personally, I never purchase using a trade...it tampers with my confidence that I'm getting a fair price for either the new vehicle or my old one. I sell my vehicle at retail market value...but some prefer the convenience of trading.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts

I am going to go into a dealer this weekend to talk about ordering a 2015 F150 Lariat. I have gone on ford's web site and built an f150 to my liking. My build came out to be $55k. Since it would be built is that the set price, would the dealer negotiate a lesser price before rebates/incentives? I have never ordered one so i am not really sure what to expect.

I would appreciate any feed back or suggestions.

Thanks.
On a $55k Lariat you should be able to get from $5 - $7k off of MSRP( The blue box MSRP) depending on the size of the market area you are in. Large market(Dallas/Ft Worth) $7k, smaller towns cities $5k. In addition you would get $2750 in rebates right now on Lariats.

Quick Reply: Order Question