Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One year, 15k miles in......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

Default One year, 15k miles in......

I am rapidly coming up on having my truck for a year (just a few weeks away) and thought I would share some honest assessments of what I have experienced so far. As a point of reference, details on my truck are-

2015 F150 Lariat SCREW 5.5ft bed 4x4
Ruby Red Metallic
5.0L motor
502A Package (chrome not sport)
3.55 Elocker

I figure I would start with the options that I have liked-

1.) 36 gallon tank-best $400 you can spend on these trucks IMO.
2.) Power running boards-because my fiance loves them, and everyone knows that keeping your significant other happy is always good .
3.) LED Headlights-fantastic. Living in a place where it is dark about 16-18 hours a day right now, I really get to appreciate the value of these.
4.) Sunroof-expensive but awesome. I love being able to soak in the sun (when I can get it).

The stuff that I am indifferent to (an likely wouldn't get again)-

1.) Bedside steps-I have used these maybe a half dozen times since I have bought the truck. Helps that I am 6'4"-so not much need for it.
2.) Sony stereo-if it wasnt part of the 502 package I wouldn't have gotten it. Just not good-I am going to replace at some point.
3.) BLIS-totally useless for me. Again, if it wasn't part of the 502 I probably wouldn't have gotten it.

The stuff that I wish I would have gotten-

1.) 6.5 Ft bed-definitely the thing i miss the most from my old f150.
2.) Trailer Tow mirrors-I bought off the lot so I had to make some sacrifices. Ideally I would have liked to get these-and I will likely add them soon on my own.
3.) ATV ramps-would be nice to have
4.) 3.73 Ratio if i could have gotten it. since I bought of the lot it's basically impossible to find, but ideally it would have been great to have it.

I have also added a spray in bedliner, weathertech digital fit liners front and rear, and a Bak Roll-X bedcover. Bedliner has been good, the weathertech's are terrible (and about to be replaced by husky's) and the Roll-X has been disappointing. I wouldn't get the floor liners or the bed cover again.

Problems I have had with the truck are-

1.) flaws in clearcoat in the paint at purchase. They were corrected quickly and effectively by the dealer.
2.) The fuel used/mpg tracking has not been good. It is almost always off (in terms of gallons used) by 2-3 gallons every fillup. Need to make the time to get it to the dealer to figure out what is up with this.
3.) The truck squats too much under load. I suspect this is a result of the aluminum making it so the engineers had to make the rear springs softer or the rear end would be squirrelly as all hell. Still, with a properly loaded 5-6k trailer it requires a lot of help from the WDH to get level. Planning on adding airbags to improve this.

General observations (good and bad)-

1.) Initially liked the Goodyear Wranglers, but now I am looking at replacing them. Ice traction is mediocre for this type of tire and I think they also lend to some mild towing instability. Looking at a true LT tire like a set of BFG ATKOs
2.) Locking out 6th gear makes a world of difference in how the truck tows IMO-like night and day difference.
3.) Love the instrument cluster on the Lariats-nice looking and tons of useful info. the trailer tow apps are awesome.
4.) Heated steering wheel could be better-intermittent operation and cold spots near the crease of the leather on the steering wheel prevent it from being better.
5.) The bed lighting is fantastic-bright and useful, I really appreciate that they put a button in the bed to use it.
6.) I continue to enjoy the tailgate bed step. I'm glad Ford integrated it inside of the tailgate-much more practical now.
7.) With that said, the "eject" button for said step could be better. can sometimes be tricky getting the thing to pop out without pinching a finger.
8.) The two way autostart is the best OEM autostart I have seen-fairly reasonable range and the first OEM I have had with 2 way capability.
9.) Love keyless access/start-first vehicle that I have owned with it and I enjoy it.
10.) I'm glad they improved the rear camera functionality to include a hitch line and dynamic (turns with the wheel) function.
11.) Cabin of the truck is just a nice place to be-I am always comfortable.
12.) Sometimes I think about the 3.5L eco and whether or not I should have gotten that instead. I am happy with what I got, but it crosses my mind occasionally. It strikes me that whether you get the 5.0 or the 3.5, you always wonder about what it would have been like to get the other (grass is always greener so to speak). Looking at other posts here, I don't think I am the only one who thinks this....
13.) There was a lot of talking from Ford on the new rear sliding window-and I could care less. It functions just like my old 13 window did. I would rather have a window like the tundra crewmax does (entire thing rolls down-the only thing I like about the Tundras).

Overall I have been very happy with the truck through a year and am glad I made the purchase.

For the other individuals who have owned their '15s for a year or more-any other observations?
The following 11 users liked this post by Gerrard155:
157WB (01-30-2016), AbitaPro (01-30-2016), Coaster60 (01-30-2016), Dexterlibby (01-31-2016), gatorblue92 (01-31-2016), JOAT79 (01-31-2016), MASTERZ (01-30-2016), pebkac (01-30-2016), retro02 (01-30-2016), ShatteredX (01-30-2016), TerryH22 (01-30-2016) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Thanks for the write up!
Old 01-30-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the write up. May help others that are still contemplating on what features they should get.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Great write up, thank you. Mine turned one year old in mid-January and has just over 12k miles on it. Here are the particulars: XLT SCREW 5.5 box | 4x4 3.31 | 302a chrome package | 5.0 Magnetic.

I've been impressed with this truck so far. My lifetime fuel economy is at 18.2. It has much more power than my 2012 with the 3.7 and has consistently gotten better MPG (not that I bought the truck to be an economy car). The 4x4 has come in handy a few times and has performed well (my 2012 was a 2wd).

The extras I have compared to my 2012 (remote start, 8" touch screen MFT, tailgate step, bed light, side steps, reverse sensors, rear view camera, etc.) have been a great addition. I still can't get over how many options this truck has compared to my 2012, both being XLT's.

I have had zero issues (knock on wood) with the truck and have had a good experience with the one trip to the dealership for an oil change.

I'm probably forgetting things, but even a year later, the truck still puts a giant smile on my face each time I'm in it.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great personal review. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'll be ordering my Lariat 5.0 with the 502A package next month.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hey brother this sounds like my truck ! LOL !

Yes the only thing I missed is my back windows roll down all the way when I had my Tundra. Nice write up btw !
Old 01-30-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I f**ked up when I ordered my truck without the 36gal tank..
my only regret.
The following users liked this post:
Loon Lover (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Great write up! Thanks for taking the time. I recently purchased a 16 XLT, although I special ordered it to include the tow mirrors, 373, and 6.5' bed. So in a year hopefully I can post a similar review.

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good stuff.

I had a 2013 Lariat on lease. I was going to buy it out, but a couple things on the build made me go with a new 2015.

6.5 foot box this time
I went with maxtow to get the 3.55 limited slip.
love the LEDs
love the heated wheel
Yes 36 Gallon tank is worth it.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

The MPG issue is with all f-150 my guess they want you to feel better about what you are getting. Someone on here posted they spoke to Ford about it and was told that different fuels burn differently chevron vs. cheap gas vs. different octanes. Because of this they made it the way it is. Maybe it's a copout or the Ford rep just made something up. Either way we all have this problem as far as I am aware. I also noticed it's more accurate when I don't get in it as much.