Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change 2.7l with video

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Oil change 2.7l with video

I have seen posts with questions on how the oil change is done on the 2.7l since it is a little different with the cartridge filter. If you have questions I will try to answer.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2.7Ecoboost:
BoozeDaily (09-02-2015), Scott2373 (11-12-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 AM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Awesome, informative video. Thanks for putting the time into it.

I agree with the oil being dirty. I'm at about 2900 miles and when I do my monthly maintenance I noticed it was pretty nasty. It looked about the same as my 5.0L looked with 5500 miles on it. Maybe that's just the first oil change and it will get better but it's definitely something to occasionally check.

My questions:
So you didn't experience a lot of oil spilling out from the cartridge?
Was the filter removal/replace like traditional oil filters in the sense that you remove the old and install the new; or did you have to take anything from the old filter and put on to the new? Mainly the O-Rings.
How long did you let it drain? More than 30 minutes? I know you mentioned the TSB in the video but I don't recall you stating how long you were comfortable with letting it drain for.

Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:30 AM

Almost no oil spilled from the filter, I had rags but really did not need them. Maybe one rag around the filter would be fine. I'm thinking that when you remove the housing it allows the oil to drain from the filter before you get the housing off.

The new filter "kit" came with the filter and 3 O rings. I installed the new O rings and filter. Nothing taken from the old filter. Disposed of old filter and kept the old O rings for backup.

I let it drain for about 20 minutes. The TSB is in reference to adding new oil back into the motor. It takes a while for the new oil to make it to the pan. People have been overfilling because they add 6 quarts and the dipstick shows 1/2 full so they add 3 more and over fill. When you add new oil give it time to make it to the pan.
The following users liked this post:
BoozeDaily (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Great video!

Just did mine last week, too bad this was not available then.

Quick question. I saw another member put 2.7 L eco oil change how to.
Just trying to clarify couple of differences If I can.

#1 Torque spec for cartrige in his threadwas stated 18 ft-lb you mention in your video 24 ft-lb.

#2 Oil/fill drain intervals is it 30 min or 15 min? Just going by what I saw in another thread as well as in a video by former FordtechMakulco.
You mentioned a TSB, so I thought I would verify.

I found I was able to remove/install the plastic oil drain plug by hand, it uses those locking tabs. So far so good!

I would probably imagine it might be a good idea to replace that o-ring on the drain plug after a few oil changes. But yeah I agree with you I was not warm and fuzzy about that drain plug at first sight, seems to work great so far.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ;4315420
Great video!

Just did mine last week, too bad this was not available then.

Quick question. I saw another member put 2.7 L eco oil change how to.
Just trying to clarify couple of differences If I can.

#1 Torque spec for cartrige in his threadwas stated 18 ft-lb you mention in your video 24 ft-lb.

#2 Oil/fill drain intervals is it 30 min or 15 min? Just going by what I saw in another thread as well as in a video by former FordtechMakulco.
You mentioned a TSB, so I thought I would verify.

I found I was able to remove/install the plastic oil drain plug by hand, it uses those locking tabs. So far so good!

I would probably imagine it might be a good idea to replace that o-ring on the drain plug after a few oil changes. But yeah I agree with you I was not warm and fuzzy about that drain plug at first sight, seems to work great so far.
1. You are correct I checked the cartridge cap it says 24NM + or - 2NM. 24 newton meters is equal to 17.77 foot pounds so 18ft lb(I will update the video) thanks good catch. You probably don't need to torque just snug it up and make so every thing is good. Check it a day later and inspect for your first couple of oil changes. Until you get a feel for the truck.

2. I was at the ford dealership and the tec said his first 2.7 oil change he overfilled because he did not give it time for the new oil to get to the pan. They said the TSB said to wait 30 minutes for the oil to get to the pan. I have not read the TSB so I don't know exactly what it said. I will try and find it.

3. Give it about 30 minutes after you have run the truck to insure all the oil is in the pan before doing the OC (if you want). Pull the plug wait 10 minutes or so until no more oil is coming out and you will be fine.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Cool thanks a lot.
It being my first change on the 2.7L I took my time draining and refiling.

One thing I do wonder, historically I always prefilled my oil filters with some oil on cars/trucks/motorcycles, not sure if it can be done here with this setup, other than a couple of oz at the bottom of the oil cartrige.

I think the most challenging (but not overly difficult) was replacement of that baby o-ring, other that that piece of cake,really! The two bigger o-rings were really easy to change.

I like the fact that you can see into the filter core and see what its collecting.
I saw a small number of metal flakes,particles in the filter and oil, so I was glad to have them out of there.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ;4315521
Cool thanks a lot.
It being my first change on the 2.7L I took my time draining and refiling.

One thing I do wonder, historically I always prefilled my oil filters with some oil on cars/trucks/motorcycles, not sure if it can be done here with this setup, other than a couple of oz at the bottom of the oil cartrige.

I think the most challenging (but not overly difficult) was replacement of that baby o-ring, other that that piece of cake,really! The two bigger o-rings were really easy to change.
I have historically primed my filters when possible. I do not think it's possible with this cartridge that I am aware of. This is what I used to get the small O ring off. It was super easy. They sell a 4 pack at Home Depot.

I'm not sure why the image is not working.

Last edited by 2.7Ecoboost; 09-02-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

OK, the 2016 oil pan plug looks different than this one in the video. No square notch for a ratchet to plug into.

Where the square notch is on the 2016 2.7 it has wings coming up and out. It still has the dog ears to latch on to the pan.

So is this supposed to be a hand removal or does it require a special tool?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by tdog02
OK, the 2016 oil pan plug looks different than this one in the video. No square notch for a ratchet to plug into.

Where the square notch is on the 2016 2.7 it has wings coming up and out. It still has the dog ears to latch on to the pan.

My 2.7 2015 drain plug could be removed by hand. I sold it for a 16' F250 PS.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdog02
No special tool, just remove and tighten by hand. People were using a ratchet and breaking the plastic plug. By the way, these are cheap it's a good idea for us diy types to keep a couple on hand.

Quick Reply: Oil change 2.7l with video