Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Running Board Bracket Differences

Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OEM Running Board Bracket Differences

I ran across what may be an issue. My Canadian import 300A XLT didnt come with running boards, so I ordered some new take offs from that auction site. I got the 6" Magnetic for Supercrew.

Went to install them tonight and I noticed that of the 4 brackets I got, they are not all the same. Essentially, one pair has a wide flange that tapers from about 1" wide at the bend, down to 1/2" wide at the end away from the truck (where you bolt the actual board to the bracket). The other two seem to have no such flange taper, they are about 1/2" flange from the bend all the way out. When i first looked at them and noticed, I figured maybe the bigger one is for front brackets, and smaller for rear, since more frequently loaded. Then I also though what if the pairs are matched and the beefier ones are for driver side since that side is used more? They all "line up" and would work in any combination, allowing the board to sit properly and everything to bolt up.

I did some recon at my local dealer (lucky its within 2 miles) and as I snuck around with a flashlight looking under trucks with running boards, all I could find is the brackets with the bigger, tapered flange. 5 inch, 6 inch, black, chrome, or magnetic, driver or passenger side. SO now I am worried I was sent the wrong brackets. It also wouldnt surprise me if Ford just made different runs and none of this matters.

Here are pics of the tapered style brackets, I didnt want to unbolt and uninstall because im certain these are OK for my boards:

And here is a pic of the straight flange brackets:

The fitment seems acceptable, in fact, I am pretty sure these brackets are identical except for the bottom flange there.

If anyone is so inclined, and wants to scoot under their truck to see what kind of brackets they have, I would appreciate it! They do have stampings, but I don't know which is the part number. If anyone can look up part numbers, maybe that would help? I can provide if it makes sense.

Sorry for the long windedness, figured maybe if I can get this figured out on here. Thanks!

Last edited by nataliator; 02-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM

Bump - anybody feel like crawling underneath their non-auto running board truck?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I took mine off to add power boards. All four were the same as the tapered ones. Not sure why there would be two different styles. Maybe redesigned part to shave or add some material?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I just installed a set of new Ford running boards on my RCSB. The mounting bracket they came with looks like your last picture (straight flange).

These came directly from ford and I was surprised they didn't come with some sort of plastic/nylon/rubber spacer to go between the mount and the cab of the truck. I guess they're not concerned with electrolysis, wondering if I should be?
The following users liked this post:
nataliator (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

My truck came without running boards, I bought a set of Tygers from Anazon and they cane with clear washers to isolate steel brackets from aluminum body. I would think the Fords should too-but maybe not!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fx4gary
My truck came without running boards, I bought a set of Tygers from Anazon and they cane with clear washers to isolate steel brackets from aluminum body. I would think the Fords should too-but maybe not!
Fords brackets are aluminum.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by dan3213
I just installed a set of new Ford running boards on my RCSB. The mounting bracket they came with looks like your last picture (straight flange).

These came directly from ford and I was surprised they didn't come with some sort of plastic/nylon/rubber spacer to go between the mount and the cab of the truck. I guess they're not concerned with electrolysis, wondering if I should be?

This is good news - what width boards did you get? 6"? I figured it was probably much ado about nothing. Thanks for your input. While I am at it - did it come with instructions? Did you get a torque spec for the nuts? I just tightened them "really well." haha

I will say, in my "recon" looking under 6 trucks on a dealer lot last night, I noticed not 1 seemed to have anything between the truck and the bracket, and none of the nuts had washers behind them either. Guess its not that big a deal.

Last edited by nataliator; 02-22-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by odd-6
Fords brackets are aluminum.
Really? I'm not so sure. The running boards themselves are aluminum, but the brackets are HEAVY, I would've guessed galvanized steel.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dan3213
Really? I'm not so sure. The running boards themselves are aluminum, but the brackets are HEAVY, I would've guessed galvanized steel.
I'll have to check when I get home to confirm, but mine where very light for the gauge of the material used.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by nataliator
This is good news - what width boards did you get? 6"? I figured it was probably much ado about nothing. Thanks for your input. While I am at it - did it come with instructions? Did you get a torque spec for the nuts? I just tightened them "really well." haha

I will say, in my "recon" looking under 6 trucks on a dealer lot last night, I noticed not 1 seemed to have anything between the truck and the bracket, and none of the nuts had washers behind them either. Guess its not that big a deal.
The instructions that came with my new Ford 5" tubular r/c step bars (different style than yours but appear to use same bracket) show a torque spec of 22 Nm (16 lb-ft) for the cab nuts.

Search this Thread