Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM bed lights & OEM bed extender

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:34 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Question OEM bed lights & OEM bed extender

Quick question: Does anyone have both the OEM bed lights and the OEM bed extender?

I couldn't find any pics online, but I think the bed extender would block both the switch and the LED lights to a degree (largely just the switch?) when the extender isn't deployed, which seems crazy.

Could anyone chime in on their experience, and pics would be a plus, thanks!

Edit: I found this post with pics: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/after...2/#post4126260

But it seems like a bad design decision. Is there a second switch location in the cab? If so, I guess it isn't entirely bad, but still!

Last edited by av8torken; 09-30-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by av8torken
Quick question: Does anyone have both the OEM bed lights and the OEM bed extender?

I couldn't find any pics online, but I think the bed extender would block both the switch and the LED lights to a degree (largely just the switch?) when the extender isn't deployed, which seems crazy.

Edit: I found this post with pics: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/after...2/#post4126260

But it seems like a bad design decision. Is there a second switch location in the cab? If so, I guess it isn't entirely bad, but still!
I have the bedrug with the bed extender. Yes, the button is hard to use in the bed itself with the extender in use or not.

I just use the cab switch if I need it. Honestly, haven't needed to use it from the bed side, because I am usually getting out of the truck cab to go to the truck bed and I just hit it on my way out of the cab.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the bed extender blocks both the switch and the lights when it's in the stowed position. It's a bad design in my opinion. My truck is lifted with a bed cover, so I'm unable to reach over the bed rails. From the rear, I can't find a way to fish my arm around to reach the switch. Ford really should've put more thought into the switch placement.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 PM

The switch is more of a problem than the lighting. I found that the lights still do a good job even when the extender is in the stowed position.

Like I said, I have yet to use the bed switch. Cab switch is just there.

If I were to change the switch, I would think it should be facing out when you open the tailgate (part of the box thats not visible when shut). Or maybe its on the side of the tailgate itself, the part thats not visible when its shut.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I would just move the switch up higher than where it is currently. It should be at the same level as the LED light. That would be much better.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:28 PM

I would just move the switch up higher than where it is currently. It should be at the same level as the LED light. That would be much better.
Yeah that would work too, though I'd rather not have to reach in to actuate it at all. Wether it's a load or stowed extender.

Honestly though, it's moot for me, never use that switch back there anyway.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the OEM drop in bedliner and you have to remove a rubber plug to press the bed switch. Tell me that's not a terrible design. I thought I didn't have a switch in the bed until I went snooping.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default bed light switch moving

Originally Posted by kalison
Yeah that would work too, though I'd rather not have to reach in to actuate it at all. Wether it's a load or stowed extender.

Honestly though, it's moot for me, never use that switch back there anyway.
I will be moving mine, with a bedrug, factory extender & tonneau cover I often need the lights and keep forgettiug the cab switch. Should be easy enough to put a different switch up under the bed rail in the back corner. Will post pics when I get around to ever doing this....
Old 07-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It is easy to reach over the side to the switch if, like me, you are tall and not sporting any kind of cover. With a cover or if you are short, it would be a bitch. Can't really reach it with the extender (hate that name, somehow it doesn't make MY SB into a LB!) stowed or deployed if you have a cover unless you lift the rear. Switch really only turns on the bed lights, where as the dash switch turns on the bed and cargo lights. Best answer? You need the harness and switch to make it work, but I bet you could add another switch if you know what you are doing. A pressure switch that would turn on the side bed-lights if it detects the tailgate is opened would work well with a cover, since it's always going to be dark under that cover. And if you open the cover, then you can turn it off with the bed switch reaching over the side.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both the OEM Bed lights and the Extender along with a bedrug and a fold a cover. In order to operate the switch I open the last quarter of the cover and reach over the bed rail, then I slide my hand down the side and eventually I hit the button anit and the lights turn on. Do the reverse to turn them off.

I don't find it a bother and its pretty easy. I have a 2017 screw Lariat stock height and I'm 5'7.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want pics. I would find the time to do them.

-Jorge

Quick Reply: OEM bed lights & OEM bed extender