Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal dealer practice? Dealer hasn't placed factory order.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Is this normal dealer practice? Dealer hasn't placed factory order.

Hi,
I placed a factory order with the dealer on Fri. 7/24. But I learned today, Mon 7/27 that the dealer hasn't submitted the order yet. Apparently the GM who was in on Sat and Monday only places orders and he hasn't place this order yet. Why would the dealer be waiting?

How quickly are dealers supposed to place orders?
Should I be wondering/worried?
There are numerous incentives that are expiring 7/31. If the deal that I put a deposit on falls through, I'll miss some incentives.

Note: There was some confusion on ordering because the new kid salesperson that wrote up the order took the wrong printout to his boss two times to price.... it took 3 tries. (Even though I came in with a ford.com printout of exactly what I wanted).

In fact, I left the dealership after the first try thinking I had bought a SCrew only to look at the encrpted printout given to me that said "S/C".... I called back and questioned if that was Screw and was told no so I had to go back. Then the salesperson forgot the locking rear axle.

Finally I got a screen print of encrypted codes that appear to be what I wanted that I had to sign. But when I was given a sales order, it had no details on what truck I was getting, just a sales price, rebates, license, tax, etc. I had to write myself the truck, options, etc. with the codes and make the salesperson take it back to get initial my handwriting (the boss didn't initial it, the Finance manager initialed it).

I finally got a price on what I came in for $37,700 +TTL for a SCrew XLT 302A, locking axle, trailer tow pkg and console.

That's not bad, but probably not great either... so I'm guessing it's fair.

But if it's fair, why such a hassle? How this all played out makes me wonder.

All of you that have purchased 2015's -- what was your experience?

Last edited by ChicagoJim; 07-28-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Mine was utterly painless. Sounds like they might be kind of inept.

It took about 20 total minutes of work on my part (including the building on the website), and the dealer probably spent about 10 minutes. I sent them the Ford build printout of what I wanted and they replied with this:

Is this normal dealer practice?  Dealer hasn't placed factory order.-1bax8zn.jpg

And that was that!

They should have no problems at all giving you that sheet of paper. Also they didn't make me sign or agree to anything whatsoever when I ordered - I would argue that most dealers should not unless you're ordering something really esoteric that they may have trouble selling otherwise. But even then probably not.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Could the problem be that they aren't taking orders for SCREW anymore for 2015? Seems like there are threads on here that they stopped taking new orders, so that may be the issue. I believe the 2016 orders will start mid Aug, around 17th, with builds starting Oct, again many threads on that. I'd read some on here then call the dealer back if you find that the SCREWS aren't being ordered anymore, maybe it was premium models but seems like I read that somewhere.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This may help too, doesn't define what is being ordered, but I'd call the dealer and verify that you can even still order a 2015 right now for what you want, maybe call other dealers too to get more than one response. Try this link.

http://www.arifleet.com/publications...tart-up_dates/
Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Infidex
Could the problem be that they aren't taking orders for SCREW anymore for 2015? Seems like there are threads on here that they stopped taking new orders, so that may be the issue.
Interesting. I asked the dealer if I could place factory order and he said yes.

Hope he doesn't wait too long to place the order before it is too late.

It all is just odd. This is a multi-manufacturer dealer with multiple locations. It is a brand new building and lot in the latest customer-friendly layout.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I ordered my truck, they placed orders once a week. Wednesday was their order day. They order hundreds of trucks each week.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Radman1
When I ordered my truck, they placed orders once a week. Wednesday was their order day. They order hundreds of trucks each week.
Thanks very much Radman1. That's very good to know.

I'm a former Ford employee and I want to see Ford "win" -- Ford to me is like rooting for your home team.

I've always dealt with Ford dealers until last fall when my wife and I placed orders last fall for a Subaru and a Toyota.
- Both Subaru and Toyota placed the orders within 24 hours of me placing a deposit. (Ford dealer hasn't)
- Both gave me a sales order that detailed what exactly I was ordering. (Ford dealer did not... they just wanted me to sign my name to some numbers which I did after detailing what the order should be).

Like I said, I want to see Ford "win", but clearly the dealers do-as-they-wish not realizing how they affect the Ford brand.

Subaru and Toyota have more influence over dealer procedures and practices than Ford has.

Last edited by ChicagoJim; 07-28-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Same as been said my dealer only orders on thurs so Monday the 3rd July shows order date of July 6th
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered from a small single line dealer(ford only, three salesmen). They placed my order on Wed or Thursday and gave me a vin the following Monday or Tuesday. Nothing down ahead of time, didn't even agree to a price until it was ready to pickup. Truck is a full loaded platinum minus moonroof.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

I watched the dealer type my order into the system. To my understanding, each dealer (perhaps region) only gets a certain number of open slots per week allocated for orders. Even though he typed it in on 7/8, it didn't get an allocation slot until the next week (7/15). After that, it took another 5 days to show up on COTUS. That has been an adventure. Estimated delivery date appears and vanishes. Shortcut to sticker appears, but doesn't work for a day. But, I got an "in production" notice on 7/27 and a sticker today.

Quick Reply: Is this normal dealer practice? Dealer hasn't placed factory order.