Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Towing Driving "Best Practices" for Ecoboosts re: carbon

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Bug

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Non-Towing Driving "Best Practices" for Ecoboosts re: carbon

This is a great forum. New member, just got (less than a week ago) a 2016 Screw XLT with the 3.5l EB, window sticker date Dec. 2015, only ~600 miles on it so far.

For you longer-term members - can you point me to existing topics or threads that discuss carbon buildup with regard to everyday driving habits (i.e. engine rpm). I've done various searches last couple of days, seen carbon build-up topics / catch cans / mpg and top tier high detergent gasoline / using full syn oil vs blended, spark plug change out frequency, etc. But my search terms haven't found me any discussions on engine speeds that are thought (or proven) to minimize carbon buildup in the EB's.

I ask because I will be doing a lot of interstate driving (normal 800-1200 miles R/T) between home (southern MS) and Houston/DFW areas. generally very flat terrain. In my previous vehicles (2009 F150 4.6l 2 valve and 2012 F250 6.2l gasser) I'd get on the interstate, hit cruise control, and go. Engine rpm 'around' 2000 rpm usually for long periods. No issues in many thousands of miles of travel, but these were not GTDi engines.

Searched the interweb, found this paper:

http://www.pecj.or.jp/japanese/overs...rence12-19.pdf

It is only one data point (and not a Ford DI engine), but one of the page 10 conclusions caught my eye - "the lower the engine load, the more (carbon) deposit formed". Maybe a Captain Obvious statement, but as a new EB owner/user, inquiring minds (Me) want to know.

So - my thinking is I might need to change my typical driving habits over the long term. My 600 mile drive so far has been about 50% cruise control with engine rpm around 2000-2100 rpm, I wonder if prolonged periods at this rpm level (like, for tens of thousands of miles over the coming years) will be OK or not. I do/will be using high detergent gas, will be using full syn oil, changing the spark plugs well before the 100k mile mark (just to see their condition), etc.

I know somewhere in this form this topic is probably addressed, I just haven't found it yet...thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:44 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I've only been on this site for a year and a half but I've been fairly active on the 2015 forums since I bought one. I don't recall seeing an actual discussion regarding carbon buildup. There are a lot of discussions, some heated, regarding catch cans. There was also a discussion regarding fuel and how it didn't matter since the fuel doesn't touch the valves so regardless you'll get carbon build up.

I obviously didn't pay attention or I would have a more intelligent synopsis. It's interesting stuff though. Most of that information was in a thread about catch cans. It probably went a hundred or so pages deep and within everybody's opinions are some decent facts from some of the engine gurus on here.

Good luck in your search and sorry I wasn't more of a help. I have the new 2.7LEB and while I'm not worried about it per se, I'm interested in what it will look like and how it will perform in that 100-150k mile range.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

There is really nothing you can due to prevent, or limit the amount of carbon build up your intake manifold is going to see, short of getting a 2017 3.5L Eco. Drive it normal, put your foot into it every once and a while, and if you feel the need to get a catch can then do it. There are many eco's out there with 100K miles on them and still running.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Drive more, worry less.

Ford may have a service plan offered if or when carbon build up becomes an issue.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck
Drive more, worry less.

Ford may have a service plan offered if or when carbon build up becomes an issue.
I have heard that for smaller Ecoboosts such as the 2L in the Escape, their current remedy for carbon buildup is to swap the head.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Mr. Pickles

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone thought to walnut blast the intake ports? Bmw's do the same thing and they do a routine walnut blast cleaning.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:05 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Hopefully with port injection coming on the updated EB, it will lessen the impact of carbon buildup. I've had the EB in the F150 and Escape and never babied either one. Drove both at WOT frequently
Old 07-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Same engine sine 2011. No issues with carbon build up. You should have to worry... Enjoy the truck.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysop

I have heard that for smaller Ecoboosts such as the 2L in the Escape, their current remedy for carbon buildup is to swap the head.
Not really an issue. I have a st with the 2.0t 40k no issues, there is a guy on my focus st forum with over 300k no carbon issues just had his clutch go out, he was tuned by unleashed from before 20k
Old 07-04-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jtp1984
Not really an issue. I have a st with the 2.0t 40k no issues, there is a guy on my focus st forum with over 300k no carbon issues just had his clutch go out, he was tuned by unleashed from before 20k
I'm sure being a Focus ST, it was ran hard enough to prevent much from collecting. What OP is worried about is something that isn't ran as a high performance vehicle, just long drives at low RPMs. Escape owners (mothers and grandmothers) are a better comparison, and it doesn't change anything for those that have had heads changed when engine misfires get diagnosed back to carbon buildup.

Quick Reply: Non-Towing Driving "Best Practices" for Ecoboosts re: carbon