Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone

Well I pulled the trigger on a new 15 F150 3.5 Eco last Sunday (10th Ford vehicle). Monday I'm taking my kids to school and while traveling about 30mph my steering goes whack and I lose power. the following messages pop up on my dash "Hill Start Assist Not Avail", "Hill Decent Control Fault", "Service Advance Trac".

So I pull over into a gas station and I turned the truck off, fired back up and all the onboard alarms cleared, I thought ok maybe its just a computer issue. I continued down the back roads to my kids school and it happened again....then again. I was able to make it to the school and drop them off safely. I cancelled my meetings for the day and started to limp back to the dealership. I was a few blocks away form the dealership making a left hand turn in a construction zone, my light turns green and I head through the intersection.....then I lost steering and brakes and literally almost ran into a road worker that was on the sidewalk. This time a big red box popped up and said "check Brake system". I was scared S**tless to say the least. I apologized to the stunned worker and shut my truck off. Fired it back up again and made the last few blocks to the dealership.
I let them know what happened and they were stunned as well. So late yesterday I receive a call from the service writer and he said when they plugged into the computer they had 18 fault codes pop up. Not knowing where to start they are ordering a new steering column and computer then will rerun the faults. He wasn't quite sure if that was the fix or not since nobody had seen this before. I understand sometimes stuff happens, Im thankful nobody was hurt.
So since this seems to be a weird new issue what would you do? Im hesitant about the truck now that I know this has never occurred and they are kinda stumped. Positive input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone-img_2908.jpg   New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone-img_2922.jpg   New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone-img_2923.jpg   New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone-img_2924.jpg   New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone-img_2921.jpg  

Last edited by HunterFisher; 08-19-2015 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (08-24-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

HMMM.....First they hack the U-Link system in the Chryslers now maybe Sync? Just a thought. That could happen...
Old 08-19-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Its scary to think that the computer goes out and you can not stop. Also I have the electronic brake so would that be affected also. So just smashing the e-brake down is out of the question.

Good luck I hope it works out for you.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are the same messages that came up on my truck this week, the dealer wants me to change my tires back to the originals to see if this makes it go away. I have not had a problem with the brakes but when the error messages come on my cruise control and auto stop/ start functions stop workinfg, I have the 2.7 engine.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by farmlife
Those are the same messages that came up on my truck this week, the dealer wants me to change my tires back to the originals to see if this makes it go away. I have not had a problem with the brakes but when the error messages come on my cruise control and auto stop/ start functions stop workinfg, I have the 2.7 engine.
Show this thread to your service write it probably proves it's not the tires.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:46 PM
0.9% is for suckers!

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts

"no fault found" is what the dealers bonus on, so Im not sure how this gets fixed.

I cant find the thread, but you may wanna do some searching, seems like this came up in Mid-late 2013 with the Ecoboost on a few guys, I do remember something similar to this posting, but its been a while.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:45 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

My guess is that there is a loose connector somewhere. with only 200 miles on it, it's a good possibility.. The problem is where...
Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

struggling a bit to understand how you lost steering and brakes when they are ultimately mechanical systems (Ford does not yet have steer by wire). Do you mean you lost Power assistance to them?
The following users liked this post:
statikuz (08-21-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry you had to go through that. Scary stuff. Let us know how you make out. I would have reached for the E brake but if that wouldn't work either ....sounds like technology has gone too far.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotsskier
struggling a bit to understand how you lost steering and brakes when they are ultimately mechanical systems (Ford does not yet have steer by wire). Do you mean you lost Power assistance to them?
The steering went out during the turn....froze, at that same time the brake error message came on when I applied the brake, yes lost all power assist simultaneously. Obviously its all electrical and more than likely an easy fix, needless to say it was scary, if I was at a higher speed it could have been a lot worse. I'll let everyone know what comes of it.....

Quick Reply: New truck Barely 200 Miles in the shop after I almost killed someone