Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F150 vs Fire Truck!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Default New F150 vs Fire Truck!

My doorbell rings, and I open my door to 4 firemen standing on my porch. One asks if I am John Doe, and I am immediately suspicious of why they know my name.
I answer in the affirmative. He then asks if this is my F150 parked on the street. Again, I answer in the affirmative. The next sentence came out in slow motion - "While responding to a call, we hit your truck with one of our apparatus/truck." Well, I can only imagine what happens to a vehicle when it gets up close and personal with a fire truck. I am also thinking, of course you hit my truck... I have had the truck in the body shop three times, for a repair to a factory blemish, and they cannot seem to get it right - so it still needs to go in for a fourth time.

We step outside, and things are looking pretty promising. No real damage to be found. They then point me to the driver side tow mirror. There it is, a chunk missing, and a couple good size grooves cut into the plastic. One guy asked me if the mirror is supposed to fold forward, because it did when they hit it. I was speechless for a moment... Then I realize, hey, these guys have a job to do. I hope things are alright with whatever they were responding to, and let's just get the necessary forms completed, so they are available ASAP.

The next 20 minutes are basically like a sales pitch, all of the guys loved the truck. We talked fuel economy, technology, aluminum, and the new sliding rear window design was a favorite. They get on their way pretty quickly.

Fast forward to today, when I take the truck in for an estimate. The body shop called the parts department for the part number and cost of the mirror. She enters my info, claim number, and hands me the quote. One tow mirror (manual fold and telescoping), power/heat/puddle lamp/running lights/spot light. The part is $1,300, and one hour of shop time to install. I nearly fell out of my chair! I sure hope I never hit anything with these mirrors. Thank goodness for insurance.

Here is a pic.

The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 189 Likes on 120 Posts

WOW! $1,300.00 for a mirror is crazy! I'm still surprised my insurance hasn't gone up from my purchase of a '15 Platinum.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

thats why taxes are so high in St.Albert, to cover these little mishaps. Glad it was only a mirror and not the entire side of the truck. Fire trucks rarely lose. Did you take it to Kentwood for the estimate ? I remember working as a tech and clipping A few super duty mirrors on twin post hoists pulling out of the service bay.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 189 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by crew man
thats why taxes are so high in St.Albert, to cover these little mishaps. Glad it was only a mirror and not the entire side of the truck. Fire trucks rarely lose. Did you take it to Kentwood for the estimate ? I remember working as a tech and clipping A few super duty mirrors on twin post hoists pulling out of the service bay.
This post makes me apprehensive to take my truck in for service. 😳
Old 07-31-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Manual folding and telescope... Wonder what the electric ones run!!?? The first time I towed with mine, I bumped a another mirror at the boat ramp. I was pulling into my spot and heard it. I had the truck just long enough to rack up the requisite thousand miles before I could tow. My heart dropped. I was barely moving, but luckily the other mirror folded forward. No damage to either one.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

the real question is, is your name REALLY John Doe?

it looks like everything worked out OK though, that's good...
Old 07-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Not a John Doe. A lot of people call me Richard Cranium.

Originally Posted by ecopat
the real question is, is your name REALLY John Doe?

it looks like everything worked out OK though, that's good...
The following users liked this post:
130428 (08-01-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New F150 vs Fire Truck!