Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Ignition Fuse for Router

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Ignition Fuse for Router

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've been digging around and searching but it can be a little overwhelming - lot's of F-150 owners!

I'm trying to find an ignition fuse to wire into. I'm putting in a router that has the ability to manage power shutdown if wired into both the batter and an ignition point. I found the ignition fuse in the passenger side fuse box in the cab. However, when the ignition is off (key out), I'm still getting power. Also, the new three blade fuses present a problem because I can't use a tap wire for the fuse I have.

So I'm looking for input on the best spot to tap into ignition power. I hate to splice in and would prefer a fuse. I've attached the wiring diagram from the router vendor.

Thanks for any help - AD
Old 08-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I install GPS units for a living and on the 15 F150 I use 12v power and ground from the OBD II connector and I use the white/orange from the ignition switch to give me my ignition signal. OBD II is fused at 15 amps i think and ignition is fused a 5 amps and the truck only needs 1 amp to run. It is always best to strip and solder your connections instead of using fuse jumps out of the fuse panel. Its so unprofessional to use fuse jumps.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

#35 in pass. side door kick panel is switched. Buy a Lumision ATR MICRO2 off Amazon, done.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Glen1027
I install GPS units for a living and on the 15 F150 I use 12v power and ground from the OBD II connector and I use the white/orange from the ignition switch to give me my ignition signal. OBD II is fused at 15 amps i think and ignition is fused a 5 amps and the truck only needs 1 amp to run. It is always best to strip and solder your connections instead of using fuse jumps out of the fuse panel. Its so unprofessional to use fuse jumps.
So for ignition...you are tapping into the OBD II connector? Are you soldiering straight to that wire or at the fuse? I always soldier when I can but not at the fuse.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldFlick
#35 in pass. side door kick panel is switched. Buy a Lumision ATR MICRO2 off Amazon, done.
The "Restraints Module"?
Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I have no idea, checked fuses with volt meter, only one that was ign. and had room for add-a-fuse to fit. I did not care what org. fuse did, it is not drawing off fused side, just stealing power(hot side) for second fuse.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

many of the toe kick fuses are switched. I know for a fact that 35, 36,and 37 are switched. I chose 36 as the most benign of those three.

You do need a micro add-a-circuit though. A bit hard to find.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

If you remove the panel below your steering column and then the metal plate you will find a taped up harness that runs to the back of the ign switch. There will be a white/orange wire that will give you ign and if look on the back side of the OBD II connector you will see 2 wires on each end one will be ground and the other will constant 12 volts. I always solder my connections.

Quick Reply: Need Ignition Fuse for Router