Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice... What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need advice... What would you do?

Ok... So there were some issues with the clear coat having waves and runs from the factory in addition to the dealer swirling my clear coat trying to rub out a scuff... Dealer said they'd take care of it.. Had it for 3 days and have me a rental all for free... Told me straight up he'd rather wet sand and buff if he can get away with it because otherwise he'll have to repaint fender and door... So he calls me up today... Says it's 90% better but wants me to check it out before sending me off with it. He's afraid if he hits it any harder with wet sanding that'll he could burn through the clear... I get that. So here's my situation... I'm going to check it out tomorrow at 9am... If it's fine then I drive it home and if not then he'll repaint... Unfortunately it's on the drivers door so it's something I'll look at daily... Would you rather have factory paint at 90% or have them repaint it to try and match/blend? I'm asking you in advance before seeing it because I would like to know what I should do going in...

P.S. The shop manager seems legit and meticulous and honest...

Ryan
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Wet sanding a new truck? I'd ask for a new truck instead. The stuff people are having to put up with the '15s is ridiculous.
The following users liked this post:
MOTOCHROME (10-29-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

It sounds to me that the dealer had someone do the paint correction that didn't know WTF they were doing. I would try very hard to get another truck but we all know that's probably not going to happen so I would get it repainted. Matching/Blending paint on a brand new truck isn't hard to do at all. Hell they match paint on many year old vehicles. Regardless what you decide you need to make sure the dealer knows that if it isn't perfect you will not accept the truck.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Z7What
It sounds to me that the dealer had someone do the paint correction that didn't know WTF they were doing. I would try very hard to get another truck but we all know that's probably not going to happen so I would get it repainted. Matching/Blending paint on a brand new truck isn't hard to do at all. Hell they match paint on many year old vehicles. Regardless what you decide you need to make sure the dealer knows that if it isn't perfect you will not accept the truck. Wayne
It was in the same exact spots on both sides of the vehicle... Door to fender jambs... Drips and build up waves across... Is this always as issues with Ford or have they not figured out how to paint aluminum yet? Did someone speed up the machines in the factory because they wanted to leave by 5? I just want it right...but I realize that NOTHING is perfect... What if they paint it and then that has issues... You know? It's tuxedo black by the way... If it was white I'd probably never notice... But HAD to have black lol 🙈
Attached Thumbnails Need advice... What would you do?-image-2148708183.jpg  

Last edited by RyanCZiegler; 09-02-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

They had their kick at the can, demand a factory painted door. They are not going to replace the truck.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by RyanCZiegler
It was in the same exact spots on both sides of the vehicle... Door to fender jambs... Drips and build up waves across... Is this always as issues with Ford or have they not figured out how to paint aluminum yet? Did someone speed up the machines in the factory because they wanted to leave by 5? I just want it right...but I realize that NOTHING is perfect... What if they paint it and then that has issues... You know? At least they're trying to make good on it...
The less the dealership has your truck the better. Why did you buy the truck with those issues?

If they dropped the price accordingly then fine, if not why did you buy it?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by thsmith
If they dropped the price accordingly then fine, if not why did you buy it?
Because we don't notice these issues until after we bought. Why beat the guy up with this question? I've got major issues with mine that I couldn't see in bright daylight, only in the morning and evening when the dealership wasn't open to go shopping.

As for the owner of this truck, have them repaint it. They have already eliminated most of your protective clear coat.
The following users liked this post:
statikuz (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by thsmith
The less the dealership has your truck the better. Why did you buy the truck with those issues? If they dropped the price accordingly then fine, if not why did you buy it?
Didn't really notice till after papers were signed... Actually my mom noticed... but it wouldn't have mattered because it was literally the only one of its kind on the east coast... XLT sport black/black Scab 3.5EB 4x4... Sticker was $47.5 and I picked it up for $35.5 after $500 under invoice and rebates. Couldn't pass it up... And I bought it July 29th and the rebates were supposed to end 31st so... I'm not sorry I bought it... Maybe a little disappointed that my very first NEW vehicle I ever bought... After a long long lines of used Fords... Has issues from the start. 😕 But what are you going to do, you know?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

Maybe they could get a 2nd opinion or try by a pro detailer
Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 PM

Sorry you are having these issues. If people let them Sit on the lot they will step up their quality. it don't matter what is, it will never be as good as it left the factory.

Every person I know that had problems requiring time at the dealer were dissatisfied and more often than not the dealership caused secondary damage.

My CDP was defective off the lot, I almost chose to leave it broken. I called a friend who had access to a dealership mechanic, he said replacing the CDP was a quick and easy swap out. I let them do it but still had marks on the dash.

Ford was behind in production and loosing market share, sounds like they pumped them out willing to let dealers deal with it.

Consumer reports determined that in every case except Tesla, people preferred non-dealer service over dealer. There are no independent shops to work on Tesla.

Quick Reply: Need advice... What would you do?