Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with level alignment nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need advice with level alignment nightmare

I had Prestige Customs in Mesa AZ put a rough country 2 1/2 level kit & alignment done on my new truck with 220 miles on it. After 10 months the insides of my tires were destroyed. I took it to Discount tires they said I needed new tires so I bought new Toyo tires & ordered Fox 2.0 stage 1 coilovers thinking it was something to do with the level kit. Went back to Prestige Customs and had them installed and when they tried to do the alignment they said I needed a camber / caster kit and the price would be an EXTRA $550 for the CAMBER/CASTER KIT installed. I laughed and said why didn't I need this with the LEVEL kit that you installed? I got a blank look from the guy. I asked if that was why my first set of tires got destroyed and again received a BLANK LOOK. I told them I would take it elsewhere and have the alignment done. THEY CHARGED ME ANYWAY for the alignment they couldn't do. Then they boxed up the old struts and shocks in the Fox boxes tossed them in the back on the floor and SCRATCH THE LEATHER REAR SEAT. WHAT A JOKE

Now to the Question I have

I called Ford explaining what was going on they said they could do the alignment for $189 I asked about the caster/ camber kit and they replied their guys were really good and I would probably not need it. I asked what if I have issues later on they just said there is NO WARRANTY on alignments. So do I buy the $80 caster / camber kit and find someone to install and do the alignment or just pay the $189 at Ford and hope for the best??

Last edited by erik6bd; 01-31-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:35 AM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm getting an alignment on Friday after I installed my own 2" leveling kit. I'm going to Firestone. I generally don't like the big discount shops--I have a local shop that does really solid work--but this particular shop has done good tire work for me on a couple of occasions and proven themselves to be honest & straightforward.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I don't recall anyone needing a caster kit for an alignment after just a simple level, and like you said, it shouldn't be any different for your coilovers. I'm getting a "lifetime alignment" for like $180... so if I lift the truck later, or just replace the pucks with coilovers, they'll align it for free. You may want to check into that.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:23 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by erik6bd
I had Prestige Customs in Mesa AZ put a rough country 2 1/2 level kit & alignment done on my new truck with 220 miles on it. After 10 months the insides of my tires were destroyed. I took it to Discount tires they said I needed new tires so I bought new Toyo tires & ordered Fox 2.0 stage 1 coilovers thinking it was something to do with the level kit. Went back to Prestige Customs and had them installed and when they tried to do the alignment they said I needed a camber / caster kit and the price would be an EXTRA $550 for the CAMBER/CASTER KIT installed. I laughed and said why didn't I need this with the LEVEL kit that you installed? I got a blank look from the guy. I asked if that was why my first set of tires got destroyed and again received a BLANK LOOK. I told them I would take it elsewhere and have the alignment done. THEY CHARGED ME ANYWAY for the alignment they couldn't do. Then they boxed up the old struts and shocks in the Fox boxes tossed them in the back on the floor and SCRATCH THE LEATHER REAR SEAT. WHAT A JOKE

Now to the Question I have

I called Ford explaining what was going on they said they could do the alignment for $189 I asked about the caster/ camber kit and they replied their guys were really good and I would probably not need it. I asked what if I have issues later on they just said there is NO WARRANTY on alignments. So do I buy the $80 caster / camber kit and find someone to install and do the alignment or just pay the $189 at Ford and hope for the best??
Sorry to hear about the suspension issues that you`re having you brought some of this on yourself and allowing them to take advantage of you.

It`s obvious the alignment was way off after the first installation because of the worn tires. You then went back to the same place who installed the system and you ordered new coil overs because as you said you " thought " the problem of the worn tires was due to the leveling kit.

The guy told you that in order to install the new coil overs properly, you`re going to need a CC kit and you didn`t like the price of said kit and you asked him why you didn`t need it with the first kit they installed. Well, would you have complained at the price of the kit during the first install or would you have paid it.

Why would you ask him if that was your first set of tires to get destroyed?

So are you saying that you`ve seen this issue before on you`re truck?

In those ten months leading up to the discovery of your worn tires, not one time did you even look at your tires or even feel the difference while driving?

Any vehicle with worn tires will exhibit some kind of noise or weird driving dynamics.

Again, most of your problems so far are on you.

So, after installing the new coil overs, they boxed up your old suspension pieces by putting them in the boxes of your new coil overs, tossed them in the back and scratched the leather seats?

Did they pay for the damage to the leather? Did you see them do it? If so, why didn`t you make them pay for the damage.

After you told them that you`d take your truck to get it aligned at another place, why would they align it without your permission and why did you pay for it. Again, all of this is on you.

In caps you said " what a joke. "

I would agree and the joke is all on you because based on what you wrote above^ you let them take advantage of you.

Ok, you said that a Ford dealer said that they could do an alignment for $189.00 and that the guys are really good and you might not need a CC kit.

What?

The guys are really good and you " might not need " a CC kit?

What if you do need one after the Ford dealer tries to align it. Are you going to just take it to another place?

You also asked what if you have issues later/ more worn tires. They told you what the deal was but again, it`s not what you wanted to hear so now you`re leaning towards buying a cheap CC kit, having it installed at another place and at the same time getting it aligned or just have the Ford dealer do or try to do the alignment and hope for the best.

No guarantees the Ford dealer will be able to align it because of the suspension modifications.

What if the place that you take it to if you don`t get the alignment done at the Ford dealer charge you more than the first place?

What if the Ford dealer says you need a CC kit and want to charger you more than the first place. They`re not going to install any CC kit that you purchase anyway so you`re only choice is a non Ford dealership.

Sorry for the long reply and sounding long winded but I really want you to read what I wrote, step back and approach your situation rationally instead of being angry because you`re only going to end up spending more money or not being happy with the results.

All the best to you and have a good day.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts

Your post shows it was edited at 8:07 AM, yet when I posted at 8:35 AM, it was completely different.

Do you have the alignment sheet from after the leveling kit install? If they weren't able to align it at that time, it should be obvious. And if there were an issue that would lead to ruined tires, that too would be obvious.

Ordering a coilover kit to fix an alignment problem is... a different approach. But I stand by my first post, otherwise.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

You don't NEED a camber/caster kit in the front. It comes slotted for movement with two guide holes pre-drilled. You can install a camber casket kit that has eccentric cams for making it easier to do the alignment, but we do them daily without the kit. It's just a way to try and get some more dollars from you. On some cars, CC kits are necessary to adjust front CC, but thats on cars that do not come equipped with slots for adjustment or other means of adjusting. Basically... they did the level and never bothered to think about SAI and camber situation after changing the angle of the lower control arm, hence never did an alignment. You don't need new parts, of any sort. Just new tires and decent alignment
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fireimp141
You don't NEED a camber/caster kit in the front. It comes slotted for movement with two guide holes pre-drilled. You can install a camber casket kit that has eccentric cams for making it easier to do the alignment, but we do them daily without the kit. It's just a way to try and get some more dollars from you. On some cars, CC kits are necessary to adjust front CC, but thats on cars that do not come equipped with slots for adjustment or other means of adjusting. Basically... they did the level and never bothered to think about SAI and camber situation after changing the angle of the lower control arm, hence never did an alignment. You don't need new parts, of any sort. Just new tires and decent alignment
Old 01-31-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Is there suppose to be a question attached to this?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by GABAR
Sorry to hear about the suspension issues that you`re having you brought some of this on yourself and allowing them to take advantage of you.

It`s obvious the alignment was way off after the first installation because of the worn tires. You then went back to the same place who installed the system and you ordered new coil overs because as you said you " thought " the problem of the worn tires was due to the leveling kit.

The guy told you that in order to install the new coil overs properly, you`re going to need a CC kit and you didn`t like the price of said kit and you asked him why you didn`t need it with the first kit they installed. Well, would you have complained at the price of the kit during the first install or would you have paid it.

Why would you ask him if that was your first set of tires to get destroyed?

So are you saying that you`ve seen this issue before on you`re truck?

In those ten months leading up to the discovery of your worn tires, not one time did you even look at your tires or even feel the difference while driving?

Any vehicle with worn tires will exhibit some kind of noise or weird driving dynamics.

Again, most of your problems so far are on you.

So, after installing the new coil overs, they boxed up your old suspension pieces by putting them in the boxes of your new coil overs, tossed them in the back and scratched the leather seats?

Did they pay for the damage to the leather? Did you see them do it? If so, why didn`t you make them pay for the damage.

After you told them that you`d take your truck to get it aligned at another place, why would they align it without your permission and why did you pay for it. Again, all of this is on you.

In caps you said " what a joke. "

I would agree and the joke is all on you because based on what you wrote above^ you let them take advantage of you.

Ok, you said that a Ford dealer said that they could do an alignment for $189.00 and that the guys are really good and you might not need a CC kit.

What?

The guys are really good and you " might not need " a CC kit?

What if you do need one after the Ford dealer tries to align it. Are you going to just take it to another place?

You also asked what if you have issues later/ more worn tires. They told you what the deal was but again, it`s not what you wanted to hear so now you`re leaning towards buying a cheap CC kit, having it installed at another place and at the same time getting it aligned or just have the Ford dealer do or try to do the alignment and hope for the best.

No guarantees the Ford dealer will be able to align it because of the suspension modifications.

What if the place that you take it to if you don`t get the alignment done at the Ford dealer charge you more than the first place?

What if the Ford dealer says you need a CC kit and want to charger you more than the first place. They`re not going to install any CC kit that you purchase anyway so you`re only choice is a non Ford dealership.

Sorry for the long reply and sounding long winded but I really want you to read what I wrote, step back and approach your situation rationally instead of being angry because you`re only going to end up spending more money or not being happy with the results.

All the best to you and have a good day.
OK your missing the point I went to a professional shop that does levels lifts and so forth. Bought a level kit and alignment. It did not drive funny the 10 months I drove it but then I noticed the inside of the tires were wearing down I wanted the fix shocks anyways so I bought new tires that I needed and the shocks that I wanted. I thought maybe the level had something to do with the wearing of the tires so just another reason to buy the shocks I wanted not needed.

My issue is they never said anything about needing this $550 kit the first time when the level was done or when we set up the fox shocks and coil overs to be installed. They waited until they did the coil overs then said by the way we can't do your alignment right with out the extra $550 for a kit. Then they scratched my leather seat yes that made me more upset. I called ford they said they could fix the alignment with out a kit but all their alignments do NOT come with a warranty. That's where I'm at.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Camber/Castor kit is like $50 only anyway.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

In the future I recommend that you rotate your tires more frequently and inspect closely for wear at the time of rotation.
In most cases you can catch unusual tire wear early and make corrections before it ruins a set of tires.