Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music via USB Drive Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Music via USB Drive Questions

I have a ton of cd's I want to put on a usb drive and keep in the truck instead of flicking through cd's all day trying to find something. I have a few questions though.

If I format it on a Mac, will it still work on the MFT?

Is it easy to navigate around the music when doing it this way?

Is there a certain brand anyone has had trouble with or would recommend for a usb drive?

Anything else I should know?

Sorry if there is another post on this, I searched and didn't see anything. I have seen the wallpaper one but I didn't want to wade through 100+ pages hoping someone asked an off topic ? in that thread.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:24 AM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Lockelamora
I have a ton of cd's I want to put on a usb drive and keep in the truck instead of flicking through cd's all day trying to find something. I have a few questions though.

Is there a certain brand anyone has had trouble with or would recommend for a usb drive?

Sorry if there is another post on this, I searched and didn't see anything. I have seen the wallpaper one but I didn't want to wade through 100+ pages hoping someone asked an off topic ? in that thread.
I formatted the USB drive I have to FAT (had to do this to get custom MFT pictures on the MyTouch Screen as well). Once the USB drive is formatted for Windows it was as easy as adding the songs to the drive.

I haven't tried to navigate through certain songs. I use it more like a iPod shuffle. I throw about 200 or so songs on there and let it play. Skip if I don't like that particular song at the moment.

I've since gone to just plugging in my iPhone when I get in the truck. Charges it and plays the music on there. With that I can make playlists and select a particular playlist I want to listen to.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
I formatted the USB drive I have to FAT (had to do this to get custom MFT pictures on the MyTouch Screen as well). Once the USB drive is formatted for Windows it was as easy as adding the songs to the drive.

I haven't tried to navigate through certain songs. I use it more like a iPod shuffle. I throw about 200 or so songs on there and let it play. Skip if I don't like that particular song at the moment.

I've since gone to just plugging in my iPhone when I get in the truck. Charges it and plays the music on there. With that I can make playlists and select a particular playlist I want to listen to.
Thanks, I have an Ipod, so is that the best way to go about it? I was thinking it would be nice to not have cords, but it sounds like it could be a hassle with play lists or trying to listen to specific songs.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Since you have an iPod that is even better. Use iTunes to rip all of your cd's to mp3's. Create your playlist and add your music. Then just sync that playlist to your iPod. You will have better control over your music in the truck using an iPod. You can create multiple playlists and choose what you prefer to listen to. My wife doesn't like most of the music I listen to so she has her own playlist to choose from.

If you want to use a Flash Drive, Format the drive as Fat 32. Simply drag and drop your music from iTunes onto your flash drive. Not as easy to sort through in the truck as it is with an iPod. You can also use an old iPhone as an MP3 player.

Last edited by Gadgitz; 09-23-2015 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgitz
Since you have an iPod that is even better. Use iTunes to rip all of your cd's to mp3's. Create your playlist and add your music. Then just sync that playlist to your iPod. You will have better control over your music in the truck using an iPod. You can create multiple playlists and choose what you prefer to listen to. My wife doesn't like most of the music I listen to so she has her own playlist to choose from.

If you want to use a Flash Drive, Format the drive as Fat 32. Simply drag and drop your music from iTunes onto your flash drive. Not as easy to sort through in the truck as it is with an iPod. You can also use an old iPhone as an MP3 player.
And then after you convert everything to MP3, you can come on here and complain about the sound quality.
Lockelamora (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by countrysquire
And then after you convert everything to MP3, you can come on here and complain about the sound quality.
I was going to convert it to as high grade as a recording I can. I have a nice sound system in my truck and want to get the most out of it. So far the cd's sound great and I want to keep as much of that as I can. Using apple lossless, so hopefully it turns out pretty well.

Last edited by Lockelamora; 09-23-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 500 Likes on 179 Posts

I was going to convert it to as high grade as a recording I can. I have a nice sound system in my truck and want to get the most out of it. So far the cd's sound great and I want to keep as much as that as I can
If you already utilize iTunes to keep your music straight, and the IDv3 tags are all good to go, you can just copy music from your iTunes folder straight to the usb drive. From the USB drive on MyFord Touch, you can browse the music by Artist, Album or whatever you want.
Lockelamora (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 PM

I was going to convert it to as high grade as a recording I can. I have a nice sound system in my truck and want to get the most out of it. So far the cd's sound great and I want to keep as much of that as I can. Using apple lossless, so hopefully it turns out pretty well.
I can't tell you if Apple lossless will work or not, but do know that WMA lossless works very well. The Sandisk 128GB jump drive is usually on sale at Best Buy for $30 and comes formatted in FAT32, so just add music and go. One other thing, I recommend getting a short USB extension cable if you use a full sized jump drive. This should prevent potential damage when you are placing something in the storage tray.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by countrysquire
I can't tell you if Apple lossless will work or not, but do know that WMA lossless works very well. The Sandisk 128GB jump drive is usually on sale at Best Buy for $30 and comes formatted in FAT32, so just add music and go. One other thing, I recommend getting a short USB extension cable if you use a full sized jump drive. This should prevent potential damage when you are placing something in the storage tray.
Thanks for that information, if the apple lossless doesn't pan out I will do exactly that!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanks for that information, if the apple lossless doesn't pan out I will do exactly that!
Yeah, try a few files first before you convert everything and it doesn't work. I was sad to learn that Sync does not recognize flac files, so I had to convert everything on my home stereo music server to WMA lossless for the truck. Not hard, just time consuming and something that you don't want to have to do twice.

Quick Reply: Music via USB Drive Questions