Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max trailer tow

Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max trailer tow

Can anyone advise if it is possible to simply add the components of the max tow package to a tow package '15 F150 screw sans the axle and retain the warranty if you exceed the 5000#?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Ford cannot void your warranty simply because you exceeded the towing capability of your truck. There's measures in place to prevent the car companies from doing that. There has to be some connection between the misuse of the truck and the part that breaks. If there isn't, the warranty will still be in effect.

I don't know the answer to your questions though.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't say whether you can just add the parts, but I do know that whatever the stated capacities of your truck are from the factory is what they will always be. If you're in an accident and over your weight (regardless of any modifications you've done), you're open to a liability because of it. Now that my unsolicited lecture is over, I hope someone else can tell you about adding the parts.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Carbeaux
I can't say whether you can just add the parts, but I do know that whatever the stated capacities of your truck are from the factory is what they will always be. If you're in an accident and over your weight (regardless of any modifications you've done), you're open to a liability because of it. Now that my unsolicited lecture is over, I hope someone else can tell you about adding the parts.
This may vary by country and even by province/state (and maybe even by manufacturer), so this can only be quoted if you live in Ontario. If you make certain changes to the vehicle, you can go back to the manufacturer/dealer and have them alter the towing/GVWR/payload of your vehicle, assuming of course they are satisfied that your modifications will in fact support the new numbers.

I know someone who did that very thing with a Ram 3500. I do not know what changes he made or how much the numbers increased though, nor do I know what it cost him to have Dodge do that. I do know they put a new sticker on the truck in the door jamb.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Though that may be possible, I suspect it would be cost prohibitive. And honestly, I've not ever heard of anyone in the states ever doing that. Not that it might not have happened, but I've never read a post from someone who went through that process.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Carbeaux
Though that may be possible, I suspect it would be cost prohibitive. And honestly, I've not ever heard of anyone in the states ever doing that. Not that it might not have happened, but I've never read a post from someone who went through that process.
I think you're probably right. It's the one and only time I've ever heard of it being done, although a few times over the years I've read posts of people mentioning it as an option (but never read anyone actually going through with it). In this case, the guy was towing massive pieces of equipment for his cement and sandblasting business

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Max trailer tow