Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low FM reception?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Low FM reception?

I have only one complaint about my truck. FM Reception sucks.

usually on the weekends I travel 100 miles out of town and in the ranger was able to listen to 2 radio stations, 1 from home and 1 from where I go and switch at the half way point.

In the F150, I am constantly loosing reception in the same areas that had no issues in the ranger. Anyone else experience FM reception issues?
Old 06-26-2016, 03:43 PM

Ok on my trip this weekend I found out that when my phone is plugged into my charger, it causes interference in the reception. I can unplug it and signal comes back. plug back in and it goes away. any ideas on how to fix or make it better?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:53 PM
FireJunk

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have noticed the same thing with the FM radio. I can make my commute in my Crown Vic and pull in all 6 of my favorite FM stations, in the 2016 F-150 I can only pull in 4 out of the 6.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:11 AM

Sorry forgot to reply here, On a FB group im in, It was suggested to try a different charger, I have not picked up a new one yet so cant say if that works, but do plan on it soon to atleast rule that out. if not its going to the shop. was very annoying this weekend with the weather I had in my area.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Plug phone into USB to charge, or buy a better quality charger.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This Magnetic antenna increases Cell Phone Reception

A cheap way to increase Cell Phone Reception is with a magnet antenna. You could Go Phone to Radio etc. Here's a couple choices I like.

Last edited by TailgateParty; 07-31-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Magnet won't stick on aluminum body
The following users liked this post:
Ohsix (09-09-2018)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I also don't think he's looking to improve his cell phone reception, he's looking to improve his FM radio reception.

FM radio reception is a critical feature to me, to the point of being a deal breaker. My Subaru has an exceptional FM antenna that allows me to pick up Salt Lake City radio stations from as far away Blackfoot, Idaho, which is almost 200 miles away. That's the standard that any new car has to meet for me.

FM radio technology has been out there for what, a century now? Every single car should have the best available radio reception.

Last edited by WasatchSkier; 08-01-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WasatchSkier
I also don't think he's looking to improve his cell phone reception, he's looking to improve his FM radio reception.

FM radio reception is a critical feature to me, to the point of being a deal breaker. My Subaru has an exceptional FM antenna that allows me to pick up Salt Lake City radio stations from as far away Blackfoot, Idaho, which is almost 200 miles away. That's the standard that any new car has to meet for me.

FM radio technology has been out there for what, a century now? Every single car should have the best available radio reception.
While I agree with you, it's worth noting that it hasn't gotten any easier. There's a lot more interference out there from countless sources. Also I think with a lot of these newer units they incorporate a minimum threshold to tune a station and if its not met, it gives the appearance that the station isn't even there when before a less than perfect signal still sufficed for most users.

Quick Reply: Low FM reception?