Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long crank time

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Long crank time

So I just bought a brand new 2015 Lariat SuperCrew 2WD 502A 5.0!

Really loving it, first pickup truck ever and first ford ever. One issue so far.

For some reason it sort of struggles to start almost like the battery charge is low! The truck only has 600 Miles so far so you can imagine I got pretty upset the first time it did this. I haven't even received my plates yet!! It doesn't do it in the morning and it seems pretty random.

Any body experience this?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine did the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the battery. Do you ever see codes when trying to start?
Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 AM

Smile

That's good to know thanks! I don't receive any codes or bad battery indicators. I suppose they won't charge me for a replacement, or at least I hope not!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lupeakal
That's good to know thanks! I don't receive any codes or bad battery indicators. I suppose they won't charge me for a replacement, or at least I hope not!

You should not pay a dime.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg1LE
You should not pay a dime.
Just got back from the dealer, appointment set for Monday morning.

The long crank time is worse now it cranks longer and the idle immediately after is rough almost like it wants to turn off but then smooths out. It only seems to do it after long drives.

I'm pretty bummed out now being my first new vehicle. I wouldn't expect to have it in service so fast :/.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I read a few posts similar to this and it seemed it was the battery as others have said. Hopefully they get it fixed for you. If you have another vehicle you could try swapping the batteries as long as the post design is the same. Or try throwing a battery charger on it and see if that helps at all.

You could always run up to an AutoZone and get it checked without removing it. Might give you piece of mind to know if its the battery or not.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2.7Ecoboost
I read a few posts similar to this and it seemed it was the battery as others have said. Hopefully they get it fixed for you. If you have another vehicle you could try swapping the batteries as long as the post design is the same. Or try throwing a battery charger on it and see if that helps at all.

You could always run up to an AutoZone and get it checked without removing it. Might give you piece of mind to know if its the battery or not.
Thanks, I stopped by o'reilly after I left the dealer and they said the battery is fine.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with dealer. Service coordinator said the technician has not been able to reproduce long crank time. They are going to hold it until tomorrow midday and drive it around a bit more to try and replicate the issue. Service coordinator said the truck might still be in the "learning" process so that might be the reason for the random long crank times hopefully he is right!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lupeakal
So I just bought a brand new 2015 Lariat SuperCrew 2WD 502A 5.0! Really loving it, first pickup truck ever and first ford ever. One issue so far. For some reason it sort of struggles to start almost like the battery charge is low! The truck only has 600 Miles so far so you can imagine I got pretty upset the first time it did this. I haven't even received my plates yet!! It doesn't do it in the morning and it seems pretty random. Any body experience this?
It could just be that the battery is drained from having sat so long. If it's an early 2015 build and you just bought it it's very plausible. Happened a lot at the dealer I worked at over the summer
Old 11-23-2015, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2014coyote
It could just be that the battery is drained from having sat so long. If it's an early 2015 build and you just bought it it's very plausible. Happened a lot at the dealer I worked at over the summer
That's what I'm hoping will be the issue, the thing is I did go to an o'reilly to get the battery tested and they said it was fine. But hopefully I get some good news tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Long crank time