Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Owners: Stock Tires or did you swap them

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Limited Owners: Stock Tires or did you swap them

My wife and I are most likely looking at picking up a 2016 Limited in a couple months. It's primary purpose is a towing vehicle (with all of the luxuries that come with higher end german brands) for our travel trailer and primary road trip vehicle. TT is 5000lbs with 6800lb GVWR. Looking at about 15-20k miles per year driving. I'm curious as to owner experience in wet weather with the Pirellis that come stock on the Limited. We live in the PNW and buying the truck in December it's inevitable it will be wet most of the time. Don't intend to start towing the trailer until the spring.

If you went with an aftermarket tire upon purchase, I'm definitely curious as to the reason why or if you are running 22" wheels and an aftermarket tire, I'm open to that as well. For aftermarket tires, I'm currently between a 285/45R22 Bridgestone A/T Revo 2 and the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in 33x12.50R22. I've considered the Hankook Dyanpro ATM but it only comes in 305/45R22 which is listed as being for a 9.5" wide wheel vs the stock 9" wheel. No intentions to lift it (right now) so keeping the diameter to 32.5" and under.

Appreciate the insight in advance.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

On the fence here myself.
How about some pictures if guys have swapped?
I love my wheels but wish the tires were a touch bigger also.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:11 AM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

I have an older Limited but the 22" tire discussion I know well. I installed 305/45R22 Nitto Terra Grapplers for summer and now after two full summers with them I can say they are honestly the worst tire I've ever bought. No traction in the rain, dry they loose grip very easily also. Don't even ask about snow/ice conditions as I swear a racing slick would have better traction.

Personally, I went with the 305's to protect the wheels from curb rash, I did not have to lift and I have no rubbing. I would think the same would hold true for the 2015-2017 trucks. But my suggestion is buy the Bridgestones I've never had a bad set of them before. I'll never buy another set of Nitto's after these wear out or I get so sick of them I take them off and sell them for a fraction of what I paid to get them.
The following 2 users liked this post by AK49FordTruck:
G8RB8 (10-20-2016), GregSBF (10-21-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Michelin premier ltx is also an option. It gets much better ratings than the Pirelli tire that came stock on my truck. From my experience the wet traction and overall tire performance are ok. I have not had the opportunity to test in snow yet. I would definitely not buy the Pirelli tires myself. I just go with the stock tire size. Maybe this will give you another choice to consider. Hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
G8RB8 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate the feedback gents. I've read many more bad reviews of the Nittos than good ones. Most likely will go with the Revo2s, but I'll definitely look into the Michelins. Hope to have the truck in December when I return to the states, there's only currently 1 Limited in my area with a tow package in black so if I can get it I plan to, otherwise I'll order a '17 (though the '16 incentives are definitely better).
Old 10-20-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Heck, you should just buy mine. I have a Raptor that should be here in a few months. Then I have to decide which to keep.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I know I'm coming to this thread a little late. I have 285/45r22 Revo2's on my '13 Limited and last night when I checked my air pressure, I noticed that 3 out of the 4 are starting to crack around the lettering on the sidewalls. It's not major, but it looks like they're dry-rotting and they only have 12k miles on them and are a little over a year old. The truck is also garage kept. I'm taking it to the shop manager's house tonight for him to look at since we are friends. It's my second set of them and the first one was great. I'm not too crazy about having a set of tires with 12k miles on them starting to crack in the sidewalls! Sounds like a manufacturers defect. I'll keep you posted on how this progresses!!

Quick Reply: Limited Owners: Stock Tires or did you swap them