Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To level or not to level

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To level or not to level

So, I've got my 2" AS spacers sitting in the garage. I've spent more time than is likely healthy cruising all the topics, looking at all the pictures, reading all the posts, but I'm getting cold feet about this whole level thing. I read in somewhere along the lines an argument against the whole process, saying why change the angles that Ford worked on getting right - which I think is a valid point.
Well, to make the truck look better is the counterpoint - also valid.

Then there's this whole spacers vs. coilovers argument. On one hand, the coilovers at least improve performance, but on the other, the same cons with changing the angles and such exist, but at a much higher cost (albeit, probably within my reach if I wait a little while).

I guess what I'm lacking is the confidence that the cost of doing the spacers is a worthwhile endeavor, especially when I'm not planning on throwing away (or selling cheap) the remaining life of the factory Goodyears. I can't help but feel like the truck doesn't look terrible with the 2.5-3 inches of rake, and that money could be spent elsewhere, like on new headlights, leather, or new stereo equipment, that would actually have some real usable value. But then again, everyone's pictures of their leveled rides look so good.

Dang internet and too much information. Anybody else work through this thought process, or am I just losing it from too much time on the forum?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I've heard that the AS 2" level only gives you about 1" of lift in reality. I advise coils, I'm waiting to purchase some Fox 2.0 for the front of my truck, and saving for wheels and tires. I've currently got stock 18x7.5's with 275/60 highway tires on a 4x4. It kills me.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM

Yeah, I have the 20x9.5 upgraded wheels with 275/55, so I'm not quite that bad. Interesting on the reported outcome, most of what I've been seeing is that folks are getting the full 2" out of the kit, which actually would leave me with 1/4" of rake with a full tank. Honestly, I'd be happier with 1/2" or more, just in that rare case my bed actually has something in it!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by wchughes5
Yeah, I have the 20x9.5 upgraded wheels with 275/55, so I'm not quite that bad. Interesting on the reported outcome, most of what I've been seeing is that folks are getting the full 2" out of the kit, which actually would leave me with 1/4" of rake with a full tank. Honestly, I'd be happier with 1/2" or more, just in that rare case my bed actually has something in it!
Throw that spacer on there and see how you like it. You've already got the part, it's not going to cost anything to throw it on and see if you like it. I'd look at it and if you don't like it then take it back off.

Yeah this is the smallest wheel I've ever owned, and I don't even particularly like them. But, that's easily changed with money.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:55 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,091 Posts

As a plus...a level alone, I did not lose any mpg...

To level or not to level-20161204_142348.jpg
The following users liked this post:
wchughes5 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by tareed94
Throw that spacer on there and see how you like it. You've already got the part, it's not going to cost anything to throw it on and see if you like it. I'd look at it and if you don't like it then take it back off.
This was my original plan, but I realized I'm missing a few sockets needed, and potentially some of the ability. Plus, I can still return the parts or sell as new currently.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mudder Fudder
As a plus...a level alone, I did not lose any mpg...

Attachment 458745
Looks good, minus the snow!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Plenty of people level. AS 2" is very common. Some prefer spacers. Others adjustable shocks/coil overs. I ran both types on my previous trucks and I prefer the adjustable shocks like Bilstein 5100. Rode better. IMO, as long as you stay under 2" your CVs, etc should be ok for the long run.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wchughes5
I read in somewhere along the lines an argument against the whole process, saying why change the angles that Ford worked on getting right - which I think is a valid point.
I will address this part from my experience. On my 2011 I was concerned about leveling my brand new truck because of the geometry issue. I put Bilstein 5100's on the highest setting on it. It sits in my driveway soon to be my sons with 140,000 miles on it and on the last oil change I had the dealer check the UCA and other parts and all are still good.

So when I bought my 2016 it went straight in for a level job. This time I just did the "puck" level and not the shocks. I keep a little rake for towing/hauling. If I need more rake with my horse trailer I will add air bags like I did on my '11.

YMMV but I have been pleased with the looks and longevity.

The only thing I did not do on the '16 was the 34" tires. LT tire definitely firms up the ride. I went with 33" p rated to keep the ride comfy to my liking.

Last edited by okie1fifty; 12-06-2016 at 07:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by okie1fifty:
FX4* (12-06-2016), wchughes5 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 05:53 AM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts

I'll add my $0.02, as I briefly went through the same thought process before adding my level.

The parts were $40. Parts cost is a non-issue for a spacer level, especially for you, as you've already got the parts.
I figure if I liked it, I would leave it until I needed new struts or springs and would then just buy coilovers to replace the whole assembly. I do like it.
I don't have any immediate plans for wheelsand bigger tires. I think the truck looks fine as is, but would be improved with tires to fill the newly-expanded wells. Same feeling as coilovers: I'll wait for a deal, or until my tires are worn enough to replace.
I seem to have lost 0.8 mpg (on the display, not validated) by installing the level, removing the air dam, but also increasing tire pressure from 32 to 35 psi. I have unresolved mpg issues, so I might be an anomaly.
The installation wasn't bad, done in an afternoon, but it helped to have an extra set of hands to wrench on the control arms while getting the strut in and out.
I really don't want to go to a 4" lift. I do enjoy taking the truck off-road, and I want to keep things reasonable. I also want to continue to fit into garages.
There was simply no change in handling from installing spacers.
The CV angles with an effective 2" level look pretty reasonable to me. This was my primary concern.

Conclusion: I really like how the truck looks after the install. For the cost, assuming no resulting issues down the road (and I have no reason to think there will be), it's a no-brainer for me. I'd do it again in a second. I'm not trying to convince you... these are just my thoughts on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by DeltaNu1142:
2tall67 (12-06-2016), wchughes5 (12-06-2016)