Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learned something the hard way

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Learned something the hard way

I bought a set of in channel vent visors for my 2015 F150 super cab and all was well for 3 days,today on my way to my dealer to pick up the floor mats for my truck [the factory forgot to put them in the truck so they had to order me a set]the driver window express up stopped working,well I found out it is the in channel visors and was told to get the stick on ones,they did re program the express up but he told me it will only stop working again if I leave those in channel visors on and it would also eventually burn up the window motor and Ford would not warranty because they do not recommend using the in channel visors,so I found a set of stick on AVS visors the same brand as the in channel ones I have now for 45 bucks all 4 windows. I guess I should have asked before buying any in the first place,I just bought the same ones that I had on my 2012 Edge and it had express up and I never had a problem with it. Live and learn I guess.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the weather tech in channel and no problems.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 140 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Billbeau
I have the weather tech in channel and no problems.
Me too. I put them in, 'helped' the auto-up window stay up, and left it for a day or two. Thereafter, the auto-up works every time.

I did take my weathertech window visors off, though. Wind noise was horrible. I may put them back on, but for now they're off.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Yea the wind buffeting can be bad with the rear windows down. It helps if you open the driver and pass side windows slightly. Had the same issue with my yukon.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM

After he re set the auto up it worked fine all the way home and is still working, I just dont want to chance it if it does burn up the motor because Ford does not recommend the in channel ones and will not warranty it if it does burn up. I just dont want to find out what it would cost to replace the window motor. The day I installed them that same window would go up and go right back down,took me about 5 min to get it to stay up,maybe mine is just extra sensitive. lol
Old 09-11-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

I had used stick on's for many vehicles and decided to try the in-chanell for a Cadillac sedan de ville I had. For months I fought with the windows sticking in the up position because they were so tight. When I finally gave up and pulled them out they had stretched out the window Chanell and caused horrible wind noise. I said never again. I have never had an issue with the stick on's though.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I can see why the motors burn out. I noticed a huge difference in the "drag" it had on my manual windows. Very little wind noise though. I got them because they're easier to put in, leave no residue, and look better
Old 09-11-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 500 Likes on 179 Posts

I've had in channels on a 2012 for 40k miles with absolutely no issues. Put new visors on the 15 when I bought it. 2k miles later, no issues. Both sets were Weathertechs.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by i8iridium
I've had in channels on a 2012 for 40k miles with absolutely no issues. Put new visors on the 15 when I bought it. 2k miles later, no issues. Both sets were Weathertechs.

I have always used the in channel ones and never had any problems till now,I like the in channel ones better and I think they look better,the only reasons Im changing them is because I am having problems and Ford does not recommend them and if something goes wrong and burns up the window motor they will not warranty it,other wise I would leave them on.

Quick Reply: Learned something the hard way